I need help with a fitness/exercise plan?

Options
I am just starting to try to lose weight. I am 5'9 180 lbs male. I know that part of losing weight is exercising, and I don't do it often enough. I am at college where we have a fitness center. My problem is I know nothing about the gym or what I should be doing! I know if I had a set plan of what to do every day for every week I could stick to it and do it. keep in mind I would probably go to the gym myself, but if I needed to I could probably get buddy to come.

Any help at all is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Google weight training programs like stronglift 5x5. There are a bunch of other ones too. I myself used to never do programs but I was always trying to progress each week. Now I do 5/3/1.
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Full body lifting program (as above stronglifts is a solid place to start) with cardio a couple of times a week.

Diet has to be right though too.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You can't possibly be that fat at your height and weight. If you have some fat to lose at that size then it wouldn't hurt for you to build some muscle as well. I would recommend something like 5/3/1 North of Vag template. It's quick, easy and will provide you with results if you push it hard. (see what I did there ;)
  • TJP_
    Options
    Absolutely no point in a new lifter going straight in to 5/3/1 - they've so much to gain from a simple linear progression routine. 5/3/1 is a great program to move on to when you start struggling to increase the weight from workout to workout.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    TJP_ wrote: »
    Absolutely no point in a new lifter going straight in to 5/3/1 - they've so much to gain from a simple linear progression routine. 5/3/1 is a great program to move on to when you start struggling to increase the weight from workout to workout.

:confused:

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Another one to try is All Pro's beginner routine. You can find it via Google very easily.

Oh, and New Rules of Lifting. I believe there are a few different programs with that series of books.

I would suggest looking up one of these programs and then sitting down and looking up form videos on bodybuilding.com and Google (Scott Herman Fitness and BUFF Dudes are two people/groups on Youtube with form videos but there are a ton of them. Plus Rippetoe for squats.) That way you can see what the exercises are before you hit the gym. It would likely be worth it to try a few out at home first too. If you don't have a bar, just use a broomstick or something similar in order to work on form.
  • TJP_
    Options
    Why the confusion? Why would a beginner go for 3 weeks+ without increasing the weight on the bar when they could be adding 5-10lbs every workout, then every week? Most people should be able to get to at least 2xBW deadlift and 1.5xBW squat before they need to think about periodisation
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Why the confusion? Why would a beginner go for 3 weeks+ without increasing the weight on the bar when they could be adding 5-10lbs every workout, then every week? Most people should be able to get to at least 2xBW deadlift and 1.5xBW squat before they need to think about periodisation

Review the 5/3/1 program. Stronglift 5x5 is the same weight not 5/3/1.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I spent about a year doing APSBR before going to 5/3/1 and I still think it was too soon. I'm just not making very good progress. At first I just did 5/3/1jack ish on a deficit and I did the BBB routine for 16 weeks while gaining weight (put on 16#). It wasnt for me. Im about to run SS just for kicks and see how far I get after doing a couple deloads. That program excels so fast that it wont really take much time. Honestly, im kinda baffled. Poor recovery? Too much intensity? Better off with lower weight higher volume? Nuff about me.

5/3/1 isnt a beginners program. You should exhaust other options first. You also wont have the experience to know how to autoregulate 5/3/1, even I question my choices and I follow what Wendler suggests.

FTR, my DL is less than 2X BW and my squat is under 1.5... close, but, not there
  • TJP_
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Er, yeah - I was responding to the post above mine suggesting the OP start on 5/3/1 :neutral_face:

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    5/3/1 isnt a beginners program.

What is your reasoning for thinking 5/3/1 is not for beginners? It is a 4 day split that focuses on the 4 multi joint movements (Squat, DL, Bench, Standing Press) that would get anyone strong. Is your reasoning due to the fact that the accessory lifts may confuse a new lifter? Yes SS and SL are super easy because Mehdi and Mark map out what exactly to do, but to come out and say that 5/3/1 is not a beginner program I feel is not accurate. With just a little homework a new lifter can find what lifts to do for the accessory lifts and have a solid program to start out with. There are also lots of different spreadsheets and smart phone apps out there to help make suggestions on the weight to use.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Er, yeah - I was responding to the post above mine suggesting the OP start on 5/3/1 :neutral_face:

I was the one confused about your first post.

• TJP_
    Options
    5/3/1 is NOT a good choice for a beginner. Will they be able to use it? Sure. But they won't progress nearly as quickly as if they use a simple linear progression routine.

Once the increases slow and you've stalled a few times, that is the time to move on to something like 5/3/1
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    5/3/1 is NOT a good choice for a beginner. Will they be able to use it? Sure. But they won't progress nearly as quickly as if they use a simple linear progression routine.

Once the increases slow and you've stalled a few times, that is the time to move on to something like 5/3/1

You made claim to not increasing weight in a the 3+ week program. Very incorrect.
  • TJP_
    edited October 2014
    Options
    In 5/3/1 you take your TM (90% of 1RM) and use that for 3 weeks (and that's if you're doing Beyond 5/3/1, the original template increases TM every 4 weeks) before increasing.

This is NOT optimal for a beginner.

Do you even know what you're trying to argue about?!
  • TJP_
    Options
    Let me try and explain what is happening here.

OP (a beginner) asks about a training routine
    You suggest Stronglifts
    I agree with you
    Someone else suggests 5/3/1
    I disagree with them
    You start some bizarre series of posts telling me I'm wrong whilst spectacularly failing to comprehend what I've actually written
  • TJP_
    edited October 2014
    Options

:facepalm:

My first post was me agreeing with you that Stronglifts would be a good routine. You can check that, it's just up there, look ^^^

EDIT: actually I'll even quote it for you
    Full body lifting program (as above stronglifts is a solid place to start) with cardio a couple of times a week.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    In 5/3/1 you take your TM (90% of 1RM) and use that for 3 weeks (and that's if you're doing Beyond 5/3/1, the original template increases TM every 4 weeks) before increasing.

This is NOT optimal for a beginner.

Do you even know what you're trying to argue about?!

Your very last set for every big lift is whatever rep it is with a + sign to improve. In a sense you can get stronger in every workout. I am on week three and have increased all the four lifts. I have been lifting for years so newbie gains are not happening. To say that I did not use heavy weights is incorrect because I tested all on my one rep maxes before starting the program.

• yopeeps025
    Options

:facepalm:

My first post was me agreeing with you that Stronglifts would be a good routine. You can check that, it's just up there, look ^^^

EDIT: actually I'll even quote it for you

Ok second post. What you have still not done is basically talk about the gains from simple newbie progression as oppose to 5/3/1 program.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    What you have still not done is basically talk about the gains from simple newbie progression as oppose to 5/3/1 program.

^^^ Agreed.

5/3/1 is a progressive overload protocol. Are there simpler alternatives to 5/3/1..... Yes. SS and SL being the 2 mentioned previously. Are they better then say 5/3/1? I would say no. They both accomplish the same thing which is getting strong. With SL and SS you squat every session. Some people would get bored with that. As with 5/3/1 you are not squatting every session plus you have your accessory lifts that you can change it up so it can keep one interested. I myself was on SL for 2+ years so I am very familiar with the plan and the SL community. But for me to say that SL is better then anything else out there for a beginner I feel is not 100% accurate.