Has anyone ever tried a low FODMAPS diet?

Options
I have IBS and GERD, so i've been told to try a low FODMAPS diet. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done it before and if you have any tips!!

Also I was wondering if I know that some particular food does not irritate me (dairy), is it ok to eat it? Or should I follow FODMAPS strictly.

Thanks everyone! Feel free to friend me also!

Replies

• crfeen
    crfeen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CeleryStick22
    CeleryStick22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was recommended the low FODMAP diet for suspected IBS over a year ago for suspected IBS and it has helped me a lot. It was hard at first - especially trying to find places to eat out! - but I was eventually able to add wheat and dairy back in. You can get your tolerance of dairy tested, that one depends on whether you have the enzyme or not, or you can just wait the six weeks and add it in and see what happens - that's what I did *shrugs*. I decided based on my own research it was probably better to follow it strictly for the six weeks and then add in things I didn't think were a problem just to be absolutely sure, but it's up to you! I just didn't want the six weeks to be a waste if I didn't cut out something that really was causing issues.

I still can't eat onions, garlic, most fruit (even a lot that are supposedly okay), rye, peas, and a couple of other things, but I'm quite happy with getting wheat and dairy back! On the days I do think "ah, one bite of ___ won't hurt" I do regret it, and generally I feel a lot healthier now that I've worked out which foods are problematic for me.

Have you started it now? How are you finding it? For the first week or two on the diet I felt pretty awful, weak and tired and headache-y, until I got used to it! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Follow it strictly for three weeks to a month and then evaluate how you feel.
    If you decide to add a food back into your diet at that time, add one at a time and keep records so you know what is happening and can see patterns.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Do it strictly. For at least a month but preferably as long as you can manage. Not all FODMAPS foods will agree with you so remember its a bit of trial and error. I eat very strictly and my symptoms are much better but nowhere near cured.