How to set goal weight?

Options
malavika413
malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey y'all, just had a question about setting goal weight. Right now I'm 5'3 146 pounds (SW 151) and I have my goal weight set at 125 pounds. I don't really know what that will look like, though. I've never been satisfied with my body, even when I've been at a healthy weight, so I don't know how I'll feel at 125. I hear about people setting weight according to their 'frame size', but I have no idea what size frame I have. I'm short, does that mean I have a small frame? Would 100 or 105 pounds be a more appropriate goal for me? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and only want to be 145 lbs. Its about shape and size. Some carry their weight up top, some in the middle and some more so on the bottom. I am a curvy pear shape and lose in my bust and waist first. Love my curves, therefore I am good with 145 or even 150.

If you were never satisfied with your body even at a healthy weight than that is either an issue you have to deal with or maybe you just were not fit enough. If you didn't lift weights before, I suggest you start now. That could definitely give you the body you want, if it is not just a mental issue.

As far as weight goes though, it is not the number on the scale, but more so how you feel in your clothes and when you look into the mirror.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an ultimatum. Pick a healthy weight--consult your doctor if necessary. Achieve it, and re-evaluate whether you need to lose more or build more muscle.

125 is probably a good starting goal--it's in the middle of the healthy BMI range. Not sure of your build, but 105 would put you at the very bottom of the BMI range, so it's probably a little low.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've heard is to make your goal weight the high end of healthy on a BMI scale, then re-evaluate. For you, you don't have far to go - 140 is a healthy BMI at your height.

Since you stay you've never been happy with your body, I have a question. Do you exercise? If not, I would highly recommend you start. First, I generally think a fit body looks better - tighter, primarily.

But second, exercise changes your relationship with your body in my experience. I don't get down on my big thighs, because they can squat beautifully. My arms still have a little fat on them right about the elbow, but I can overhead press 90 pounds so I don't care.

Just a thought :)
  • malavika413
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    I am 5'3 and only want to be 145 lbs. Its about shape and size. Some carry their weight up top, some in the middle and some more so on the bottom. I am a curvy pear shape and lose in my bust and waist first. Love my curves, therefore I am good with 145 or even 150.

If you were never satisfied with your body even at a healthy weight than that is either an issue you have to deal with or maybe you just were not fit enough. If you didn't lift weights before, I suggest you start now. That could definitely give you the body you want, if it is not just a mental issue.

As far as weight goes though, it is not the number on the scale, but more so how you feel in your clothes and when you look into the mirror.

I don't lift weights, I'm trying to lose weight primarily through diet, with occasional cardio. I tend to carry my weight everywhere, everything's just sort of bulgy and gross, so I don't really know what my shape is.
  • malavika413
    Options
    The best advice I've heard is to make your goal weight the high end of healthy on a BMI scale, then re-evaluate. For you, you don't have far to go - 140 is a healthy BMI at your height.

Since you stay you've never been happy with your body, I have a question. Do you exercise? If not, I would highly recommend you start. First, I generally think a fit body looks better - tighter, primarily.

But second, exercise changes your relationship with your body in my experience. I don't get down on my big thighs, because they can squat beautifully. My arms still have a little fat on them right about the elbow, but I can overhead press 90 pounds so I don't care.

Just a thought :)

Hmm, that's a good idea. I've been at 140 and even 135 before, but it still didn't look good on me.