Cardio machines at home

Options
Is it true that if you have a cardio machines and you put it in your garage that the humidity will damage the digital display. I was thinking about putting a cardio machine in my garage but then I thought about what that person told me.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I would assume this would depend on where you live, and what else is in the garage. It wouldn't hurt mine in the slightest. My bff has had a treadmill and stair stepper in his garage for as long as I've known him (25? years).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Do you live in a place where the humidity is really high? Does the humidity damage anything else you keep in the garage? I'd think if it was going to hurt the digital display on a cardio machine it would also cause problems with other items.

I don't have a reference because I live where it's really dry. I'd have to worry more about the heat damaging something in the garage during the summer when it's 105°+.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    This is not a humidity-related comment, but here goes: we used to have an elliptical in our home. Like many things you want, but usually don't have (a swimming pool, a pool table, a dart board, a treadmill, a pinball machine, etc.), when you do get one, you use it heavily for a month or two and then entirely lose interest in it and only use it once in a while. I actually like going to the gym and not doing my workouts at home (although, there was a time when I preferred to be at home). Anyway, we lost interest in our elliptical and started going to the gym to use a treadmill. I like the variety of a gym and the fact that you don't have to lug a huge piece of fitness equipment out of your home when you get sick of it.

Just food for thought. No idea on the humidity.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The electronics should indicate which environmental standard it is built to. Cross-reference the standard online and see if it is built to inside our outside standards.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This is not a humidity-related comment, but here goes: we used to have an elliptical in our home. Like many things you want, but usually don't have (a swimming pool, a pool table, a dart board, a treadmill, a pinball machine, etc.), when you do get one, you use it heavily for a month or two and then entirely lose interest in it and only use it once in a while. I actually like going to the gym and not doing my workouts at home (although, there was a time when I preferred to be at home). Anyway, we lost interest in our elliptical and started going to the gym to use a treadmill. I like the variety of a gym and the fact that you don't have to lug a huge piece of fitness equipment out of your home when you get sick of it.

Not everyone loses interest.
    But yes, some folks do.
    We have a treadmill at home. I use it once a week or so in summer and 3 times a week when the weather really stinks. Hubs uses it sporadically, often when he has insomnia. :smile: We've had it for quite a while now. I don't think our use has declined at all.
    It depends on the person. And yes, the same goes for gym memberships.
  • chereedoggett
    chereedoggett Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would assume this would depend on where you live, and what else is in the garage. It wouldn't hurt mine in the slightest. My bff has had a treadmill and stair stepper in his garage for as long as I've known him (25? years).

• chereedoggett
    Options
    I live in Tallahassee Fl.
  • chereedoggett
    Options

But yes, some folks do.
    We have a treadmill at home. I use it once a week or so in summer and 3 times a week when the weather really stinks. Hubs uses it sporadically, often when he has insomnia. :smile: We've had it for quite a while now. I don't think our use has declined at all.

• chereedoggett
    Options

But yes, some folks do.

Well I don't have a gym membership anymore. Even when I did I always wanted a piece of cardio equipment just to have at home so when I am not able for whatever reason can't make it to the gym. But I want to get one and in this part of Florida it is very humid. I guess I can get one with a good warranty.
  • chereedoggett
    Options

I live in Tallahassee Fl.