Habits, how did you break them?

Options
So, this isn't really a habit to do with eating but in a way. Anyways, for the past few months I have been drinking almost every night (I mean like 4 beers or a bottle of wine) and smoking my hookah every night. Now I don't want to stop this completely just defiantly cut back. But I am finding it very hard to break this habit I started. Now I know some of you will just say, its simple just stop! But its clear I don't have the will power to be that strong just yet (I am working on it). So I am wondering what habits have you learned to break and what helped you to do so? Thank you!! :)

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I find that it is much easier to switch habits than to break habits. When I quit smoking I would go for a walk when I would normally have a smoke. While it wasn't easy it was a little easier than sitting at my desk twitching.

Same went with evening snacking. I still save some calories for a light snack but I don't binge eat chips in front of the TV any more because I spend the evening hours playing video games that require both hands instead.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think that I finally wanted to change my bad habits more than I wanted to persist in them. I realized I didn't want to look back on all those years I ate dessert every night and feel ashamed of myself for wasting my youth eating crap. Really it came down to wanting to change more than wanting to stay the same. I still indulge but it's not like before, which was every night.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was drinking way too much. A big thing that stopped me from breaking this habit was fear. I was afraid I couldn’t quit. I suggest trying to quit your habit for two weeks – to show yourself you can. I am on day #13 and honestly cannot believe it! Once you have been away from that habit for a time, you can then look back and see how much/ how often you were partaking of your habit. Once you’ve quit for a while, when and if you start again, you will most likely cut back.

And drinking does have a lot to do with eating- I realized how many calories I was drinking. Since I’ve quit, I’ve lost 5 pounds! I was never tracking my alcoholic calories!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm celebrating a year of being cigarette free today. I quit cold turkey - but I do have some super will power.

How about you drink two beers tonight? And if you stick to two, hooka it up tomorrow night, but skip the beer/wine? It really boils down to you being able to control your actions - but that doesn't mean you have to just stop - make sure you're in control enough to change things up. If you find you aren't, it might be time to get help.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I find that it is much easier to switch habits than to break habits. When I quit smoking I would go for a walk when I would normally have a smoke. While it wasn't easy it was a little easier than sitting at my desk twitching.
    +1 to switching the habit instead of trying to break it!
    Maybe you can get a habit of drinking tea (no sugar) every evening instead of wine? Or mineral water?

• CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I love what I am hearing so far.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Replace bad habits with good habits. Two years ago I was a 2-3 PAD smoker...switching to the e-cig and slowly lowering my nicotine dosage over the course of several months helped me quit...but so did developing healthy exercise habits. Often, when I felt like a smoke I would just go for a quick 10 minute walk...that quickly turned into a new found passion for fitness overall.

I also used to be a frequent and heavy drinker and it's something I'm currently working on as a matter of better health. Up until recently, I drank pretty much every evening...sometimes in moderation, sometimes, definitely not in moderation. As of current, no booze is allowed in my house (I like doing shots too much), only beer and wine. Monday and Tuesday evenings are "dry" nights and I've been busying myself with other things like working in the yard, helping my eldest with pre-school projects, etc. Wednesday evening I allow myself up to four beverages (either beer or wine) and Thursday is once again dry. Friday evenings I usually have a few beers after work and Saturday evening is my "cut lose" evening...Sundays just depend, but I'm finding them to be more or less dry these days.
  • WorkoutJunkie1
    Options
    I stopped going to mexican restaurants. My weakness has always been chips and salsa. So now, if I crave chips and salsa... I have a homemade salsa and I eat them with baked homemade chips.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Go to an al-anon meeting and listen to family members of alcoholics talk. Or come to my house and check out my Mom, who's been an alcoholic for over 35 years. Over time, over-consumption of alcohol does irreversible damage to your brain. It'll make you not want a drop.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Replace bad habits with good habits. Two years ago I was a 2-3 PAD smoker...switching to the e-cig and slowly lowering my nicotine dosage over the course of several months helped me quit...but so did developing healthy exercise habits. Often, when I felt like a smoke I would just go for a quick 10 minute walk...that quickly turned into a new found passion for fitness overall.

I also used to be a frequent and heavy drinker and it's something I'm currently working on as a matter of better health. Up until recently, I drank pretty much every evening...sometimes in moderation, sometimes, definitely not in moderation. As of current, no booze is allowed in my house (I like doing shots too much), only beer and wine. Monday and Tuesday evenings are "dry" nights and I've been busying myself with other things like working in the yard, helping my eldest with pre-school projects, etc. Wednesday evening I allow myself up to four beverages (either beer or wine) and Thursday is once again dry. Friday evenings I usually have a few beers after work and Saturday evening is my "cut lose" evening...Sundays just depend, but I'm finding them to be more or less dry these days.

I really like this idea! :)
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    280571 wrote: »
    I was the same a bottle of wine a night 2 at the weekend. I read a book on "controlling alcohol" (or rather listened to the audio book) 10 or 11 weeks ago. Have not touched a drop since. No will power, not missing it just no longer want any. Fridge has beer in it for my friends, spirits in the cupboard, wine on the shelf but never want any. Wife still has a bottle of fizz at the weekend, there is always wine on the table when we eat out as we are in Italy. But honestly nothing changed except I don't drink and plus side its great for my fitness and health.
    In fact when I am in the bar and I order something alcohol free it still makes me smile inside. I am loving the new me.

Yay you!!!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    The cafeteria at work recently got Chester's Flamin' Hot Fries. These are the best hot fries I have ever had. I used to eat bags on a daily basis. Then they weren't around and I couldn't have them. Now they are back and in larger bags (630 calories a bag), and i thought I wouldn't go overboard with them... but then i started to, and i had to stop. I was putting pounds back on. I think part of me thought they would disappear again, so I needed to eat as many as i could.

So I bought a bag and set it on my desk at work. And it sits there, unopened. That way, I know I can have them at any time. And I will have a small bag of "Flamin' Hot Funyuns" with lunch (220 Calories).

After typing this all out, I realize how ridiculous this all sounds. But I'm posting it anyway.
  • aigfsu
    aigfsu Posts: 3
    Options
    I was drinking way too much. A big thing that stopped me from breaking this habit was fear. I was afraid I couldn’t quit. I suggest trying to quit your habit for two weeks – to show yourself you can. I am on day #13 and honestly cannot believe it! Once you have been away from that habit for a time, you can then look back and see how much/ how often you were partaking of your habit. Once you’ve quit for a while, when and if you start again, you will most likely cut back.

And drinking does have a lot to do with eating- I realized how many calories I was drinking. Since I’ve quit, I’ve lost 5 pounds! I was never tracking my alcoholic calories!

THIS. Same here. I am currently on Day 8 of "No Alcohol". While I find it hard, I am so happy I am on Day 8. I was scared...to the point of crying, that I wouldn't be able to quit. With the support of my husband and family, I realize I am stronger than that stupid beer/wine calling my name at the end of the day. I have already lost four pounds, so this has been a huge motivation for me.

I also thought of going to AA meetings to see where I don't want to end up....but I haven't needed to as of yet.

Instead of drinking/smoking, go for a walk! Or maybe call a friend/family and be honest. Tell them what you are going through. They will hopefully be supportive of you and make you feel accountable for you actions. Looking back, I think that was the hardest thing for me to do- tell my husband and my family my TRUE thoughts/feelings on the subject. I was scared that I couldn't quit...and while it was a vulnerable and emotional conversation, 8 days in, it was a great decision.

GOOD LUCK. :smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, not in a healthy way. Involved a lot of telling myself how much i hate me and how embarrassed I am of myself. It worked, but it came with a cost.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I've just decided that I'm going to be in control of food/drinks and my activities from now in. You just have to decide when enough is enough.

In regards to wine- I've been mixing in sparkling water (about 25%) with mine and I really like it. That way I feel like I'm drinking, but it's not as much.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    There is no secret elixir or magical potion or mental manipulation that works. You have decide that you want to quit and quit. That's it. The people who want to tell you any different are the one's trying to sell you something.

JUST QUIT! IT'S REALLY THAT SIMPLE.

Good luck.

PS. Why would you want to quit the hookah, that's from the erf!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    For most people it's very difficult to break habits, it's so much easier to make habits. That's what I do, I replace old ones with new ones that are incompatible with the old ones. :)
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    understanding what's driving you to over consume in the first place.

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I agree with switching habits, or distraction. When I was trying to break my grazing habit when I started losing weight, I would make and drink tea, vats of it, but it worked. Every time I felt the urge to munch something not planned, I would go make tea.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    CassieP16 wrote: »
    So, this isn't really a habit to do with eating but in a way. Anyways, for the past few months I have been drinking almost every night (I mean like 4 beers or a bottle of wine) and smoking my hookah every night. Now I don't want to stop this completely just defiantly cut back. But I am finding it very hard to break this habit I started. Now I know some of you will just say, its simple just stop! But its clear I don't have the will power to be that strong just yet (I am working on it). So I am wondering what habits have you learned to break and what helped you to do so? Thank you!! :)

It took me having the DTs every morning until I shuffled to the bottle for a couple swigs straight out of same bottle to be able to function and falling backward while pulling my pants up off the toilet, knocking myself out cold, laying on the bathroom floor for I don't know how long with my pants down, and my husband saying yea, he heard me fall but since I was a falling down drunk and fell so often he always figured I was going to either get up or sleep where I fell and he didn't come check on me because he was tired of picking me up to get me to quit drinking.

Be careful. What starts as a couple a night grows and grows. you might want to think about putting it down now.