Marathon Training Schedules

Options
After this Sunday I will have completed my 5th half marathon. I'm considering doing a full, since that's the next logical thing to do, but the training intimidates me. I'm confident I could do the marathon distance but I'm not sure I have the will to commit to the training. Hoping to see your favourite marathon training schedule(s) so I can decide if I want to sign up for a full.
(I tried the MFP search function but it's useless now).

I would also be grateful for any tips and advice.

Thanks!

Replies

• bigbeff
    bigbeff Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There are so many. I use runlounge, they send you the plan every week so its a surprise!! ;) You can train for a marathon on 4 runs a week. I did my spring one in just over 5 hrs.. training consisted of 1xhill run, 1xthreshold, 1xrun of choice and 1xlong run (upping the milage and time on feet). It took over my Sunday mornings though!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I like that idea of being surprised!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    This site has the schedule I used for my first: http://running.about.com/od/marathonprograms/a/marathonbeg.htm
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I've never actually used a training plan. I just run 3-4 days a week, long on weekends, not so long during the week including a faster run. I keep my weekly mileage between 50km up to 100km depending on what I'm training for. If something hurts or if I'm feeling burned out I don't hesitate to take a few days or more off. I've completed 2 full marathons and a 100km ultra. On my most recent full marathon I took 34 minutes off my previous time so for me it works even though I'm sure it's not ideal for everyone.

Personally I find training plans can take the fun out of running. I like to go out the door not knowing how far or fast I plan to go. I have a general idea of what I need to do to get to the starting line and use that as guideline. For me mental burnout is a bigger problem than physical burnout so I make sure I do what I can to enjoy every training run.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Good advice-I'm doing my first half a week from today and have in the back of my mind "well...if I can do this...why not go for a full next year?" I'm giving myself plenty of time to work up to it...not necessarily train for it, but to gradually build mileage.