How do you use your exercise bike?

asjt678
asjt678 Posts: 60 Member
Hello All:

I just bought a new spinning exercise bike. I want to lose about 30-40lbs. I have been doing resistance training for about 2 months 3 times a week and I have cut my calories. But I think I need to add some cardio a few days a week.

The issue I am having is that my bike has a feature where you can program your workouts based on time, calories burned or distance. Which option is the best for beginners or those trying to lose weight? Does it even matter? Should I go for speed or add some resistance to the workout? I don't know if these are dumb question, so be kind. LOL I have never liked cardio so I have no idea. The manual that came with it was useless and just had instructions. Any suggestions? Much appreciative.

Replies

• habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    I usually would pick a time and then go as hard as I can for that time period, or some kind of interval program. I like to keep my rpms between 60 and 100 depending on the resistance level (lower rpms with high resistance, higher rpms and lower resistance for speed, 80rpms if I am just doing steady state).

I find the calories burned on exercise bikes to be, um, let's call it overly generous :D so I wouldn't set it by that unless I already knew how much it was off by.

If you start somewhere, anywhere, that will give you something to compare to and try to beat from week to week.
  • asjt678
    Thank you so much.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    I also have a spinning bike, along with other cardio pieces. Interval training is great. If you can swing it, get Spinervals cycling dvds. I bought several and the first time I tried one (I was in shape then) I was screaming!!! The coach (Troy) is hilarious and the workouts are very effective. They are rated on a scale of 1-10 so you know how difficult they are... even if you don't get the DVDs just change it up to keep things interesting. Try varying the resistiance levels for 30 or 1min and/or sitting/standing every 5, 15, 30 or 60 seconds. Listenining to some fast paced music also helps motivate you to work out vigorously. You can plan tons of different types of workouts on this bike. Also, look up HIIT and read about how it can really boost your metabolism for hours after you workout.

Good luck!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    BTW, I think you need more than "a few" days a week. I'd say the minimum is 3-4 if you want to lose weight from it. If you have tv or music it really helps pass the time.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    To be honest? As a coat rack.
  • asjt678
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    To be honest? As a coat rack.
    LOL....I hope I won't end up doing that.

• asjt678
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I also have a spinning bike, along with other cardio pieces. Interval training is great. If you can swing it, get Spinervals cycling dvds. I bought several and the first time I tried one (I was in shape then) I was screaming!!! The coach (Troy) is hilarious and the workouts are very effective. They are rated on a scale of 1-10 so you know how difficult they are... even if you don't get the DVDs just change it up to keep things interesting. Try varying the resistiance levels for 30 or 1min and/or sitting/standing every 5, 15, 30 or 60 seconds. Listenining to some fast paced music also helps motivate you to work out vigorously. You can plan tons of different types of workouts on this bike. Also, look up HIIT and read about how it can really boost your metabolism for hours after you workout.

Good luck!

Thanks, I just looked the DVDs up on Amazon.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    asjt678 wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »

Good luck!

Thanks, I just looked the DVDs up on Amazon.

This site has some video clips.......another site has different DVDs

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=spin

http://www.collagevideo.com/search?q=cycle
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    I have various cardio home options like a bike, and I use them while watching TV.
    My personal rule is NO TV...unless I am up and moving.
    4dx7of7h682s.jpg
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    When I started at the gym, this was always my first workout of the morning. I did it for losing weight and to boost my metabalism throughout the day. The workout is simple but effective. I started with 6 sets and went up the better I became. Heres what I did, Pedal for 1 1/2 minutes at a pace that you can breath and talk then as soon as it hits 1 1/2 you pedal as fast as you can for 30 seconds. Then back to the brisk pedaling that you can talk and catch your breath. Do this until your finished. However, on the last set as soon as you hit 1 1/2min then turn the resistance up so you have to stand an pedal with all your strength for 30seconds. And your done.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    spin bike along with right foods helped alot in losing 80lbs.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Have you taken a spinning class at a gym? If you haven't, you might consider one just to see how the instructor sets up class. I've been spinning for many, many years and took many, many classes with different instructors. I'm not a fan of the instructors at my current gym so I find some free time in the studio and spin by myself--using previous instructor-led workouts as a foundation.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    http://www.thesufferfest.com

Well, assuming you want to eventually start road cycling. Regardless, they are pretty much the best workouts you can do on a bike.

You probably won't thank me... until later when you are a cycling beast.