What is your favorite running shoe and why?

Options
I'm running my first half marathon on 11/29 and I am usually a Nike girl but I need to break the cycle and try something that better supports my foot.

I figure I have a month to break them in and that should be long enough. So, what is your favorite running shoe and why?

I've tried on a Brooks shoe over the weekend (can't remember which one) and I did like it but also looking for other suggestions.

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You need to go to a running shop and get a gait analysis done. They will them recommend the best shoe for you. I always wear Asics stability shoes as I over pronate but different shoes suit different people.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I prefer Scaucony.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I tend to go towards Merrell. I do need to go to a running shop and get a gait analysis done though. I've never done it so I'm probably wearing the wrong shoes. :smiley:
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I work at a running store, and I admit I never recommend the Nike shoes we carry for long distance running, so you are definitely on to something there!

There are so many things that go into a good fitting shoe. Stature, flexibility of your arch, surface you are running on, and stabilization of your ankle/ over pronation or supination correction.

Other considerations: what area of the foot you strike with and what kind of "drop" (toe/heel differential) you prefer.

After the biometrics kinda stuff, then you get into toe box size and all that jazz.

I prefer Saucony Kinvaras because I am a small statured, heel striking distance runner with an arch that isn't too flexible or stiff that runs pretty neutral (no big pronation or supination). I prefer light shoes with minimal stitching and "stuff" on the upper and a nice toe box.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The one that fits the best. As such, I've had good luck with ecco, on, inov-8, and new balance. YMMV.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Minimalist shoes with a zero drop and a wide toe box....particularly fond of Merrells, New Balance Minimus line of shoes (MR00, Hi-Rez, MR00v2) and Innov-8s... never had a gait analysis.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I wear New Balance for warmer weather and when it gets colder I wear Brooks Ghost GTX (trail running gortex lined). There is also a Brooks Ghost which is the same shoe just not gortex lined. Why I like the New Balance because I need a wider toe base, because I have a wider toe base. I like the gortex lined shoe because they keep my feet warm in the winter without having to wear the heaver gaudy looking shoes.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Mizuno Wave Enigma for me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I must defend the Nikes, given Carrieendar's statement. No disrespect. But I love Nike Pegasus shoes. It's an old classic, for a reason. They have a lot of stability, plus not a lot of frills so they last a long time. Also, they come in different widths, which I, and many others, find very helpful, very important. I think that they are the perfect, basic, archetype, running shoe -- designed before the manufacturers decided every shoe had to have "special" features to differentiate it from all the others.
  • llmg970
    llmg970 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I also love my Nike's, I am currently using Nike reax 9. the most comfortable shoe I have found for my running style. I agree though, to getting an assessment done. I went to a physical therapy for an ankle injury and she helped by teaching me what to look for in a sneaker.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I tried to differentiate by saying "of the Nikes we Carry" :)))). Though I should have been specific so as not to offend: lunar launch, frees , etc. although I have never seen a nike shoe , even their fake "rock plated " trails, last as long as others.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Currently I use two pairs of shoes (alternating to minimize risk of injury): Brooks Ghost 6 - super light, but great support, absolutely amazing shoes; second pair is Saucony Guide 7- more cushioning, but also a little heavier, perfect for my longer runs. I've owned many other brands as well: Asics, UA, New Balance, Nike, you name it :))) I would have to agree with other who suggested going to a good running shoe store and getting properly fitted kicks.

Good luck with your race!
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I always buy the Asics gel Kayano and two pair if on sale. They fit me perfect. They are also very consistent. I can even buy them online and they always fit perfect.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just bought new running shoes. I've tried most every brand on the market. I buy my shoes at the Runners Forum, and they suggested I try the Hoka brand. I LOVE them!!!! These are by far the most comfortable running shoes I've ever had! I highly recommend them!

I have had a terrible time with my fore foot going numb, so I need more cushioning. My most recent shoes were Asics Nimbus, but they gave me horrible blisters. I even bought a 2nd pair of the Asics last month, but a 1/2 bigger & wider, still gave me blisters & foot pain. My new Hoka shoes--no blisters, no numb feet & no pain!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hoka Cliftons, or neutral shoes in general, work for me. Will they work for you? Maybe, maybe not. Get fitted and take internet strangers advice regarding the most important decision of your running with a grain of salt.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks Glycerin. It's a cushy, supportive and comfortable shoe.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I am on my second pair of Mizuno Wave Creation. I had a pair of the wave riders many years ago, and they didn't work for me as well back then. I've had good luck with the wave creations: no blisters, shin splints, or other injuries. I did have an IT band injury with the other shoes, but that was probably more of a running technique issue than the shoes. My creations now have over 400 miles on them, and I will be looking for another pair. The wave riders might be an option since the creations are a heavier cushion shoe, and I have lost a lot of weight since purchasing them.

You really should go to the running store, get a gait analysis done, and try on some different brands and styles. You might be surprised at what they suggest and what works for you.
  • Jo_Bergen
    Options
    I love my Saucony Omni. I also have a pair of Nike Lunareclipse but the Saucony feels so much better and gives me the support i need. (i am kind of flat footed and over pronating)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Nike lunarglide is my choice. Super duper lightweight and comfortable and breathable.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Altra Torins. LOVE having toe freedom.