Running & Breathing

Options
2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    in through the nose, out through the mouth helps ME keep my heart rate down. I really have to focus on it though. That's not to say I always do that though. Sometimes it's just "However I can get air in there".
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything that restricts air flow or unnatural. If through the mouth get the air in faster or easier, go with it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    in through the nose, out through the mouth helps ME keep my heart rate down. I really have to focus on it though. That's not to say I always do that though. Sometimes it's just "However I can get air in there".

See my earlier comment. Ventilation will ultimately be driven by metabolic demand. At low levels of exertion, you can play around with all the "techniques" you want. At some point, however, the body needs as high a volume of air that one can inspire--that means nose, mouth, ears, whatever... (just kidding about the ears).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I used to worry about my breathing during my yoga until my latest teacher explained it so naturally, I don't worry about it any more. He said breathe any way you like that feels natural, and the exception is if a move needs to start with a breathe "in" or "out". I can take as many intermediate in or out breaths I need in between to be natural. No more seeing stars trying to breathe according to instructions.

Run slower

If you want to gasp for breath, do it. It's natural, and it's a good thing, and may it never end.
  • meganhalltaylor
    meganhalltaylor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Breathing in your nose and out your mouth helps calm you while running. I take a breath out of my mouth every once in a while and I've been running forever. Try to keep breathing in your nose and out you mouth it's a smoother breathing rhythm.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As long as your breathing is relaxed I wouldn't worry about it either way. Do whichever feels natural......there's no wrong away.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Take it for what it's worth, but breathing has long been my Achilles heel when running, too. In September, I did a duathlon and noticed that one of the other athletes was using a Breathe-Right nasal strip. That intrigued me, but I never got around to actually trying one, until this morning. I can't believe the difference it made!

I've always felt like I couldn't get enough airflow trying to breathe through my nose when running (ordinarily, it's no problem - just when running and sometimes biking - basically whenever my heart rate really gets going), so I've always had to breathe through my mouth when running, which led to my mouth being dry, which led to me needing to bring a water bottle with me even on 1- or 2-mile runs, which was about how far I could run at a time without struggling with my breathing and having to walk and let my lungs recover.

This morning, with the nasal strip (I got the 4-point super strength ones), I couldn't believe how much easier it was to breathe. I literally ran 4 miles without any water and my lungs never became an issue - my legs were my handicap this time. I breathed through my nose some and my mouth some, but never got nearly as dry as I usually do and it was just so much easier over all. And I even have had a mild head cold for the last week to boot! I'm totally sold on them!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Hopefully the OP figured it out from the advice she got last October.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have developed into breathing in and out of my nose and mouth together. It works for me