I'M getting fed up with all this weight loss crap because really i dont know whats going on.

Options

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your stomach area is bothering you, correct? I'd try tweaking your diet a bit. Try different kinds of foods, maybe low-carb, high protein. Lift more for overall muscle building and hopefully you'll lose some of the belly fat. Maybe consult a trainer or nutritionist?
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that so many people are giving you crap about the way you write. This isn't the place for that. It's supposed to be a supportive, weight loss forum, not a writing forum. That said, I understand your pain. In my case it seems that the belly is going to be the last to go so I really get it. It's frustrating. But it took a long time to gain this weight and it seems to be taking a long time to take it off. It's just the nature of the beast, I guess. Try and think positive if you can. Keep working on it. Keep logging and exercising and try to hang in there. You've GOT this! Don't give up. It's a lot of trial and error because everybody is different. You have made a lot of progress. It's very impressive and you should be proud of that!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    3,000 calories a day sounds like a lot of exercise... Okay, so some of my friends on MFP actually plateaued because they were working out every day. When they put a 2 or 3 rest day period into their week it gave their bodies time to recover and the weight slipped off... So maybe try that.
    You don't plateau from working out too much, you plateau from eating too much food.

Plateau is just another word that you are underestimating calorie intake.

Weight loss comes from eating less calories than you burn.

I agree recovery is good but just so we don't wear ourselves out and give our muscles time to recover.

• hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic expectations maybe? Just be healthy and happy and quit staring in the mirror. I've known too many people that got obsessive when they got *too* into fitness and body building. I've even gone down that road a bit myself and crashed/burned and totally regressed. This time around I'm just taking it easy and keeping it real. Just be a healthier version of yourself and don't try to be some perfect idealized person that you've been comparing yourself to. Get out of the gym and get a life.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think I see some disordered thinking there. Your ticker says you still have 21 lbs to lose and if you are already at 161 that is way to much. So you are saying at 5' 9" you should weigh 140 lbs. That is whack!!!

My dad, two summer's ago at 5' 8" was approaching 150 lbs. We said you are getting to skinny and he said, nah I am fine. I am not one of those that when I see someone that has lost a bunch of weight says they are getting to skinny just because I am not used to seeing them that way. Guess what? Turns out he had cancer. So at 150 lbs my dad was looking sickly for a reason. That was not the size he should have been and that is an inch shorter than you.

You are at a point in your weight loss journey that you should just be able to sit back and enjoy the rest. Start building some muscle with heavy lifting. Take your time. You still have a lifetime ahead of you. I wish I knew then what I know now. I would have been dangerous in my 20's. Might be a good thing I didn't because it might have gone to my head then.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    At that height/weight ratio with being above 20% body fat = you literally have no muscle. If you keep cutting down then you are just going to look like Michael Cera until your body says enough. Bulk is your only option my friend. A body recomp would take for-ev-var with those stats.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    corduanji wrote: »
    I think I found your problem. You skipped to many periods because of your eating disorder.

This was so ridiculously funny that I laughed OUT loud. Yes, I know it's inappropriate but Thank You :)

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Dude, welcome to the battle.
    You need to find your motivation, or you'll just give up on yourself like most people.
    My inspiration is in the people I hang with as well as how much I detested being a fat guy.
    It just takes time. You need to look into weight maintenance and body recomposition.
    Just a suggestion.
    Good Luck!@
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »
    Unrealistic expectations maybe? Just be healthy and happy and quit staring in the mirror. I've known too many people that got obsessive when they got *too* into fitness and body building. I've even gone down that road a bit myself and crashed/burned and totally regressed. This time around I'm just taking it easy and keeping it real. Just be a healthier version of yourself and don't try to be some perfect idealized person that you've been comparing yourself to. Get out of the gym and get a life.

THIS!
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you still have a belly that means you're a normal male who distributes most of his excess fat in the gut area. That also means fat there is among the last to leave. I have a similar issue in that no matter how much fat I lose, the belly never seems to go away. If you don't have much muscle mass your weight can be fairly low and yet your belly will remain. If you don't want this, you need to reduce your body fat percentage. If you want a flat stomach and visible abs, aim for 10% fat. This varies for different people, but don't expect your belly to really go anywhere until you're in the neighborhood of that body composition.

In the meantime, start a basic compound lift program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Add the following assistance exercises: pull/chinups, rows, dips, curls. Eat at a deficit of calories (I suggest a 500 calorie deficit per day), making sure you get enough protein.
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    At that height/weight ratio with being above 20% body fat = you literally have no muscle. If you keep cutting down then you are just going to look like Michael Cera until your body says enough. Bulk is your only option my friend. A body recomp would take for-ev-var with those stats.

no im thinking about going keto because if I bulk now i'm going to get fat as hell and plus im not even that small yet. There is this boy who go to my school he's 5,9 just like me weigh 137 and lean cut and muscular and he says he has always been in his 130.
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    for all of you saying im at a healthy weight range... I don't really know about that because there is this boy who goes to my school 5,9 just like me he weighs 137 and he's lean cut and muscular. He says he always been in his 130.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Burpees and some (serious) swimming should deal with your issue!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Don't be ridiculous - that's a very low weight for a 5'9 male

Weight train

Take rest days

Lower your calories a few hundred

And go talk to someone about body image
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    for all of you saying im at a healthy weight range... I don't really know about that because there is this boy who goes to my school 5,9 just like me he weighs 137 and he's lean cut and muscular. He says he always been in his 130.

How old are you?

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you still need to drop your body fat. Unfortunately you don't get to choose where you lose fat, have you tried lifting heavy and doing moderate cardio? You'll need a calorie deficit to lose fat too. But lifting will help save some of that muscle you have. I get what you mean by that lean cut look and you need a lower body fat for that I think.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I understand your situation as I am in the same boat. It's not really about how I look but more about the unhealthy fat in the gut area causing health problems. I really don't know what my goal weight is because I am almost at my original goal set a month ago. I do know my goal body fat %. I don't lift so maybe others who do can advise if you would be better off doing high volume reps on lower weights. I focus on building lean muscle - boxing, swimming, rowing, push-ups etc. seems to be working for me so far. The poster above is right.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

How old are you?

My thoughts exactly. I doubt he is 18 as his profile suggests.

If you want the lean/muscular look, you have to build muscles. To build muscles you have to lift heavy weights and eat food to fuel the muscle growth.

You get fat when you eat to many calories and dont exercise enough.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that so many people are giving you crap about the way you write. This isn't the place for that. It's supposed to be a supportive, weight loss forum, not a writing forum.

Clear communication is essential to the transfer of information. How can we expect the OP to take our advice if he won't even take the time to coherently express his thoughts?