Should I workout with a cold? HELP ASAP

Options
2»

Replies

• ElectroJay
    ElectroJay Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There is no point in lifting if you aren't feeling it. Better to recover first.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Are you typing on a keyboard right now that others might use? Please report right now (with your keyboard) to the local municipal incinerator for decontamination. All the cool germaphobes demand it.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Do not go to the gym when you're sick! That's a recipe for passing your germs to everyone else. However, you can still work out if you feel up to it but you should give your body some time to work on fighting your illness. Although your body is very good at multitasking, your recovery from sickness will be that much faster if you feed it and allow it to focus its energies on that. If you wanted to do legs still, there is nothing that you do at the gym that you can't at home. Grab a backpack (a strong one with strong straps) and place whatever weight you can find in it to achieve the required weight capacity. Do your lunges and squats in an environment that lowers the risk of infection to others.
  • musclemindca
    musclemindca Posts: 8
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The old 'rule' is "Above the neck workout (head cold) below the neck stay home (Flu, aches and pains, fever). If you wipe down your equipment and use hand sanitizer (like we all should) your fine to workout. Never feel guilty for taking a day or two off the gym. A healthy attitude is most important.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ElectroJay wrote: »
    There is no point in lifting if you aren't feeling it. Better to recover first.

I call BS.

I don't feel it about 3/4 of the time I'm headed there. Success doesn't come from only lifting when you're feeling it- it comes from when you aren't feeling it- when you are under the weather- when you have no inspiration or motivation.

Nut up and go to the gym.

If you are puking- stay at home.
    If you have the runs- stay at home.
    If you have lung gunk- stay at home.

If you have the sniffles- please- get up and go get it in. sanitize- and don't spread germs- but a little under the weather funk shouldn't' keep you from the gym.