Hello from 'Hoping to Have a More Successful Second Half of my Twenties'

Options
Hiya friends,

So--here goes nothing! :blush:

I will be turning 25 next month and am starting to feel pretty stressed out about my weight and my physical appearance and decided that it was time to try something new/old (I was a member of MFP a few years ago but fell off of the wagon). I did a trial with Weight Watchers last month but I like the interface of MFP a lot more so I think that I am going to stay here instead. :smile:

I don't know if this is a quarter-life crisis or what, but I have been feeling exceptionally frantic lately about how I want to look and feel as I get older. I came to a sudden realization that these are the years that I need to form habits that will last me into my fifties and beyond, because the days of eating whatever I want and consequently not gaining any weight are very much over. I am at my heaviest that I've ever been and I am really sick of feeling sad about it.

I also really want to need to exercise. I hope that makes sense--right now it's a chore, and a tough one at that because I have asthma and allergies, so I often wheeze through any exercise routine and thus have always written it off as something that I just can't do. But I really want to wake up and jump out of bed and feel like I am not myself until I've run on the treadmill or lifted some weights, and right now that isn't me whatsoever. I have been considering getting a FitBit to help me out with the motivation on that, and I really like that it can sync up with MFP. (The more gadgets I have, the happier I am!)

Hope this wasn't too long! Anytime I've ever jumped into MFP, I never utilized the forums. I'm wondering if this can help hold me accountable and also help keep some positivity in my life as I help others and they help me along. So, I'm pleased to "meet" you all and I look forward to our journey together. Thanks for reading. :smiley:

Replies

• fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me.....i still think of exercise as a chore and, to a certain extent, i think i always will.....give me a good book and a glass of wine any day.....but i do it because it will stop the pounds from piling back on.....for me, the exercise got easier and i felt more motivated as soon as i started to see some results....it does take willpower to keep up the exercise until those results start to come.....but don't give up.....when i first started, i could barely do a squat and now I'm squatting 100lb on the squat rack and holding 30lb each on the dumbbells when i squat.....i understand what you mean about developing good habits now....i wish i was thinking along the same lines when i was 25.....it would have made this journey much easier.....I'm 44 now.....best of luck.....:)
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    Welcome back Tracy!

Wow, I feel like this could have been written by me! I was in a very similar state through my twenties, and in my early thirties I started to feel frustrated and upset with myself as well. I was not big into exercise pretty much since I'd started college (dunno why that was, maybe just too tired from everything else?). Also, watching people I loved (who were older than me) going through awful surgeries was definitely a kick in the pants. I don't want that to be me in 10 or 20 years.

A friend introduced my to this website back in 2011 (and RunKeeper as well), and I started to actually do research and cut out a lot of unhealthy things from my diet. I started to learn to like exercising, and actually get a little stressed if I go more than 2 days without it. I hear you on the "exercise is a chore" bit. Many people feel that way. You have to find something that you like so that you stick with it! If you absolutely hate running, go swimming! If you like yoga (I found out I love it!), do that. :wink: I've had to go through physical therapy a lot lately for my knees, so even had to change walking to elliptical at the gym.

I also had asthma when I was little, and it started recurring in my twenties when I'd gained a lot of weight. I had to struggle through exercise for about a year with a bit of wheezing each time, but now I no longer have asthma unless it's brought on by someone's pet (allergies). :) (granted you may be different but thought hearing that might help.)

As far as technology, I recommend RunKeeper with a smartphone (if you have) and heart rate monitor (I have a chest band from Polar). I'm also trying out the FitBit, which can definitely be a wake up call as to how often you actually get moving during the day. However, since I do many activities that don't necessarily have "steps" (which is the only thing most FitBits track), a heart rate monitor seems better for me personally.

Again, welcome back and good luck on your renewed journey toward fitness! :)
  • tracymarie11
    tracymarie11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! It's great to hear from people in the same boat as I am. It really does help a lot.

I just downloaded Couch25K and I am really hoping that helps. Need to buy some good shoes for running but then I am really going to try it. I totally want to be in that state of mind where I *need* to exercise or I feel stressed or not quite right. I'm sick of wasting time sleeping and napping--those days are over! I want to enjoy the day and I want to get fit. :smile:

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words and the words of encouragement! You guys are great!