Tips for losing 20lbs in body fat, anyone?

Options
Background: Lost 50lbs in a year with a 16% loss of body fat, going from 46% bf to 30%. I am 5'3" tall and between 140-144lbs. I would like to be between 120-125lbs and and around 18% bf. I would like to lose that last 20-25lbs mainly in BF.

I have set my daily calories at 1500. I eat back all or most of my exercise calories. I eat relatively low carb, high protein diet.

Workoit schedule: 5-6 days a week with 1-2 rest days. 2-3 spinning classes a week. One hour long HIIT SESSION. Strength training 3-4 days. I alternate between push and pull upper body workouts and legs. I run for 20-30 minutes before strength training as warm up.

Can you offer tips on how to lose that last 20lbs in bf alone?

Replies

• aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back exercise calories,be consistent with diet ,and have patience.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Umm, no!

You should be eating back your exercise calories. Continue doing that. Say you work out burning 300-400 calories, you are eating 1500 a day. So that leaves you with a net of 1100-1200 calories eaten for that day. Eat back those calories!!
  • Nishi2013
    Options
    Umm, no!

You should be eating back your exercise calories. Continue doing that. Say you work out burning 300-400 calories, you are eating 1500 a day. So that leaves you with a net of 1100-1200 calories eaten for that day. Eat back those calories!!

For almost 5 months my weight loss has hit a plateau. I have lost 2-3 inches in the meantime but the scale has remained almost static. I am tempted to cut back on calories but I am afraid of fatigue.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the scale numbers. They are deceiving. Focus on the inches you are losing! That's awesome that the inches are coming off and say a great deal more than that pesky little number. Inches off....GOOD! Even when the scale isn't moving.
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    How low carb are you eating? Definitely eat back those exercise calories! ;)
  • Nishi2013
    Options
    How low carb are you eating? Definitely eat back those exercise calories! ;)

I eat fruits and veggies, even potatoes (once in a while). Its the processed carbs I keep at minimal. One tortilla or slice of wheat bread a day. Usually earlier in the day.
  • Nishi2013
    Options

This made sense to me since eating the calories back seems to have put me in maintenance mode. I like his suggestion to vary intake based on need (if you feel fatigue or ravenous... but not as a rule).
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back exercise calories,be consistent with diet ,and have patience.

ignore this
    you most certainly ARE suppose to be eating them back if you use MFP how its setup
    if you set your own calorie intake to -% TDEEthen you shouldn't be eating them back.

MFP has the deficit built in if it tells someone to eat 1200 calories and they burn 600 calories in a workout that is certainly not enough calories.
  • aquinoz
    Options
    "But hey it's just advice...at the end of the day...you could do whatever the **** you wanna dooooo!" -TMW :happy:
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Thx for that link. That dude's gym is just down the street from me and I never would have known about it (it's well hidden) if you hadn't posted that.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I agree with aquinoz - don't eat back the exercise calories
  • aquinoz
    Options
    I've been able to lose a pound a week without eating any of my exercise calories, while doing two sessions of cardio and weightlifting 5 times a week. Believe it or not, i was in the exact situation trying to search for an answer online when i ate my calories back. But the only way i solved my problem was through trial and error.;don't knock it till you try it.Try experimenting for one week. If you lose weight you're on the right track, but make sure you don't lose more than 2 lbs a week.If you want to preserve the majority of muscle, aiming for a 1lb to 1.5 lb's a week is highly recommended while consuming at least 1 gram of protein per body weight. The slower the weight loss the more muscle you preserve while burning mainly fat, the quicker the weight loss you'll lose weight but risk losing your hard earned muscle. Also you don't have to be low carb in order to lose weight, it's all about the calorie deficit.

If all else fails, you might've been underestimating your calorie intake or have a slow metabolism.

A lot of people may get all butthurt about what i say, but this has worked greatly for me.

Once again this is just advice, I hope this may help you.