Thoughts on my diary?

Options

Replies

• thatonegirl0619
    Options
    Also try eating smaller amounts more often. Your body can only use so many calories, carbs, etc at one time and what it can't burn off is turned into fat. Try 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    paj315 wrote: »
    Add sugar and carbs to track in your diary. I'd bet your sugar is pretty high.

You don't have to give up the Coke but on days that you have it you shoudl probably cut out the sugar elsewhere.

Also for the Mayo, there's an olive variety made by Kraft thats really good and its I believe 45 calories per T.

If you're following a tdee method then log your exercise but change the calories burned to 1 calorie. (that's how I do it anyway because I follow the tdee minus 15% cut method)

sigh…if OP is in a calorie deficit she can eat sugar and lose weight….
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    personally I wouldn't eat packaged food like hamburger helper but I've been there before and know sometimes you just don't have a choice. I also wouldn't eat the mayo but that's more of a paranoid thing (jimmy johns and their mayo tried to kill me, true story :\ )

I would suggest you start tracking salt. Water retention from high salt intake could be a reason you're not losing any weight. I could very easily gain 5 pounds IN A DAY just from salt and water alone.

Also, drink lots of water, water pushes water. As dumb as that sounds but if you're eating super salty foods you need to almost double water intake at meals.

Good luck
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    At your height I'd suggest changing your calorie allowance to 1500 calories per day as it is enough to keep you full if you eat the right stuff. Plus then your calorie deficit will increase and you'll loose more.

Onto your Diary

Instead of flavoured instant oats I'd suggest plain oats as they add heaps of crap in the ones with flavouring. Top this with fruit, cinnamon or whatever your preferences are and this should keep you full until lunch. (use 1/2 a cup of oats when making own)

For lunch go for a light mayo or if you want switch mayo for hummus as it tastes great and is really filling and healthy. Switch out your cola for diet cola and go for green tea or peppermint tea (0-3 cal, don't add sugar to them.

At dinner skip the packet mac and cheese as it's not nutritious and filling whatsoever(plus heaps of additives, try making home made meals like stir fry (easy and quick) that way you can control what goes in it.

Skip the Lipton green tea, green tea should have close to no calories so there is clearly a lot of sugar being added to it.

Lastly drink a glass of water before and after each meal it helps a lot!!!

Everything else is good and I admire that you still include a small sweet treat.
    Good luck!!!!!
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I just checked and I've only been over my sodium once, and that was today. FWIW I do not like hamburger helper and very rarely eat it. I didn't have any chicken left and I had none thawed to cook. So I ate hamburger helper, it's okay. If it makes anyone feel better my plate was over 3/4 full with veggies, I do love roasted vegetables and could probably eat my weight in them.

I do eat regular steel cut oatmeal too, but I burned myself out on it. I eat it every morning. This is just something new to try, something different. I like to mix things up at times, i find it beneficial to me mentally. Keeps me from getting bored.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    BansheeCat wrote: »
    skittle316 wrote: »
    fobs13 wrote: »
    Can 2 spoons of mayo be 200 cals? Switch to a lighter option as condiments really are only for flavour. Just an idea.
    Nothing wrong with full fat. When eating a high fat diet, calories are irrelevant.
    I lost weight eating 2000 calories a day on high fat/protein, and doing nothing but walking an hour 5x a week. I lost around 3-4lbs a week.

Op have you considered low carb/keto? Your diary looks a lot like mine 8 months ago.
    I'd eat
    1 apple
    1 banana
    1 bowl of oatmeal
    almond milk
    whole grain bread
    pasta/rice in the afternoon

Did not loose a pound, even with working out and eating less than 1000 calories.
    I went low carb and in a week i lost like 20lbs in a week. Went from 240lbs to 220. Then 220 to 190 in around a month. I did nothing, I was actually sick at the time. All I ate was bacon, cauliflower rice,chicken and nuts.

I came up with the theory, that you are loosing fat. No matter what calorie in vs out has to happen, you can't make energy out of nothing. All the carbs you are eating is making you retain water weight and is hiding your fat loss. I would honestly give low carb/keto a go.
    I didn't loose weight for an entire year/ even though i ate at a deficit for most part and worked out. I was loosing it just was just all the processed carbs, lack of sodium and exercising made me bloat water like a mother *kitten*.

I agree with Skittles. Keto/LCHF might be better suited for you. Come over to the dark side. >:)

why does she need keto????

Where did I say need?
  • liz1531
    liz1531 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just changed my goals to reflect those of a ketogenic diet. 5% carbs, 45 percent protein and 50% fat.

I would swap out the oatmeal for a low carb high protein choice. Get rid of the bread and the coke and replace with lemon water. everything else on there looked OK.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    skittle316 wrote: »
    fobs13 wrote: »
    Can 2 spoons of mayo be 200 cals? Switch to a lighter option as condiments really are only for flavour. Just an idea.
    Nothing wrong with full fat. When eating a high fat diet, calories are irrelevant.
    I lost weight eating 2000 calories a day on high fat/protein, and doing nothing but walking an hour 5x a week. I lost around 3-4lbs a week.

Op have you considered low carb/keto? Your diary looks a lot like mine 8 months ago.
    I'd eat
    1 apple
    1 banana
    1 bowl of oatmeal
    almond milk
    whole grain bread
    pasta/rice in the afternoon

Did not loose a pound, even with working out and eating less than 1000 calories.
    I went low carb and in a week i lost like 20lbs in a week. Went from 240lbs to 220. Then 220 to 190 in around a month. I did nothing, I was actually sick at the time. All I ate was bacon, cauliflower rice,chicken and nuts.

I came up with the theory, that you are loosing fat. No matter what calorie in vs out has to happen, you can't make energy out of nothing. All the carbs you are eating is making you retain water weight and is hiding your fat loss. I would honestly give low carb/keto a go.
    I didn't loose weight for an entire year/ even though i ate at a deficit for most part and worked out. I was loosing it just was just all the processed carbs, lack of sodium and exercising made me bloat water like a mother *kitten*.

I agree with Skittles. Keto/LCHF might be better suited for you. Come over to the dark side. >:)

why does she need keto????

Where did I say need?

ok, correction, explain how "keto/LCHF might be better suited" for the OP….?

she has no medical condition that makes her sensitive to carbs, so what would be the point of restricting that entire food group?
  • liz1531
    liz1531 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One more thought is you mentioned you do not want to do low carb or ketogenic but drinking coke and eating bread which both convert to sugar and fat in your body isn't the answer either. If you're not interested in low carb what about something like the whole 30 which allows you to eat Whole Foods? I would recommend not eating more than 75 carbs a day which is not ketogenic at all. If you want to lose a pound or two a week you're going to have to watch your carbs even if you don't want to do a ketogenic diet.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    liz1531 wrote: »
    I just changed my goals to reflect those of a ketogenic diet. 5% carbs, 45 percent protein and 50% fat.

I would swap out the oatmeal for a low carb high protein choice. Get rid of the bread and the coke and replace with lemon water. everything else on there looked OK.

LOL - why get ride of bread? Bread aka carbs is an essential macro nutrient..

let me guess, carbs are the devil and should be avoided…right?
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options

You don't have to give up the Coke but on days that you have it you shoudl probably cut out the sugar elsewhere.

Also for the Mayo, there's an olive variety made by Kraft thats really good and its I believe 45 calories per T.

If you're following a tdee method then log your exercise but change the calories burned to 1 calorie. (that's how I do it anyway because I follow the tdee minus 15% cut method)

Yes she absolutely can, but sugar is taking up empty calories that could be used for more nutritous and filling foods. And I didn't say cut the sugar I said TRACK the sugar.

• ndj1979
    Options

Yes she absolutely can, but sugar is taking up empty calories that could be used for more nutritous and filling foods. And I didn't say cut the sugar I said TRACK the sugar.

you said "cut out the sugar"….

• justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Goodness! I am not starving. I promise, I eat first. If I'm full then I get the coke. If not I might drink the coke later instead.

Sorry but some of these suggestions are outlandish. I will not get rid of one coke. I used to easily drink 5-6 a day. I like my one. I rarely drink coffee, this is my coffee. Actually since I prefer my coffee light n sweet, this is better for me.
  • ndj1979
    Options

you said "cut out the sugar"….

direct from your post You don't have to give up the Coke but on days that you have it you shoudl probably cut out the sugar elsewhere./b]
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, whenever you ask people to look at your diary, you have to wade through a lot of oddly specific advice to get to what you were looking for, right? :drinker:

Nothing in your diary jumps out at me. Frustrating as it is, sometimes it takes the body a while to catch up with your new habits! I would give what you are doing 4 solid weeks. If you don't see a change, maybe try dropping the calories by 100 and/or increasing your exercise a little. Also whenever you are eating whole foods, try using the database entries that don't start with an asterisk. Those are USDA values (not user entered) and more accurate.

BMR and TDEE calculators can only estimate and assume, so sometimes you have to use them as a starting point and tweak as you go, until you find the sweet spot where you are enjoying your food, feeling good, and losing weight. Good luck!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm making bread tomorrow. It has to be done. I'll post pictures. :mrgreen:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    At your height I'd suggest changing your calorie allowance to 1500 calories per day as it is enough to keep you full if you eat the right stuff. Plus then your calorie deficit will increase and you'll loose more.

Onto your Diary

Instead of flavoured instant oats I'd suggest plain oats as they add heaps of crap in the ones with flavouring. Top this with fruit, cinnamon or whatever your preferences are and this should keep you full until lunch. (use 1/2 a cup of oats when making own)

For lunch go for a light mayo or if you want switch mayo for hummus as it tastes great and is really filling and healthy. Switch out your cola for diet cola and go for green tea or peppermint tea (0-3 cal, don't add sugar to them.

At dinner skip the packet mac and cheese as it's not nutritious and filling whatsoever(plus heaps of additives, try making home made meals like stir fry (easy and quick) that way you can control what goes in it.

Skip the Lipton green tea, green tea should have close to no calories so there is clearly a lot of sugar being added to it.

Lastly drink a glass of water before and after each meal it helps a lot!!!

Everything else is good and I admire that you still include a small sweet treat.
    Good luck!!!!!

Are you even taking her weight into account or is height the only thing that matters? *smh*

Also, pretty sure crap isn't allowed to be sold. If you are buying oatmeal or anything with "crap" in it, please make sure to notify the store or/and authorities.

• PikaKnight
    Options

Why? :huh:

• ndj1979
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

because, sugar...
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

because, sugar...

:laugh: