Therapist related question.

Options
I told my therapist when I first started seeing him that I had no interest in taking anti-depressants. I told him when I was taking them, they only made things worse. After seeing him for a while, we realized that my depression and suicidal thoughts were stemming from anxiety. But he still doesn't want to put me on any medication. My mental state has been deteriorating and I've hit some really low points lately.
How do I bring this up to my therapist? At this point, I feel like anxiety medication would be the best course of action for me.

Replies

• pattigorman
    pattigorman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You need a psychiatrist. Psychiatrist are the Dr. that prescribe the meds. Have had depression and PTSS for many yrs, meds are a vital part of your healing. Meds, psychiatrist, therapist, massage, exercise, healthy diet and famiy/friends support are your team! Keep me posted.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    A psychiatrist can prescribe medications, but a therapist cannot. You just need to tell him that you'd like a recommendation to a psychiatrist who can prescribe you anxiety medication in concert with your therapy.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Had some similar issues a few years back don't really have any advice since mine wasn't really worth a damn. Sorry I don't really have any input but, when in doubt there's always a psychologist on the end of a 45lb bar
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think you can get anxiety meds from your Primary Care Physician too.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you that you don't need medication. Perhaps you do. Your doctor can help you decide.

I will say that anti-anxiety meds aren't magic any more than anti-depressants. If you expect them to help you overnight, you'll probably be disappointed.

There are two activities that I've found to work really, really well for both anxiety and depression:

1) Regular exercise
    2) Regular mindfulness meditation

One or the other works a bit. Both together work really well, at least for me. YMMV.

If you can't find a meditation or an MBSR (mindfulness-based stress reduction) course in your area, or if you prefer to do it yourself, here's a short reading list:

Mindfulness for Beginners, Jon Kabat-Zinn
    Mindfulness for Dummies, Shamash Alidina
    Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Dummies, Dr. Patrizia Collard
    Full Catastrophe Living, Jon Kabat-Zinn

The first two are more introductory; the second two more in-depth. All are highly recommended.

Above all, try to be kind to yourself. All the best to you. I hope this helps.