Light running: Do I need a rest day?

Options
A little bit about me: I started a little jogging here and there back in May, at the same time I changed everything and started counting calories. At the time, I couldn't run more than 30 seconds at a time. I've not followed a program, mostly because my exercise time comes in 10 and 20 minute blocks, not the 30 required for most running programs. I've lost 40 lbs and slowly built up my stamina, and my enjoyment. I run slow-ish (13-14 minute mile) and have never gone more than consecutive 20 minutes. I don't feel as though I'm pushing myself ridiculously hard, though I certainly work up a dripping sweat and maintain a heart rate in the high 160s. I don't feel sore during or afterwards. Most programs recommend a day off between these runs. Do I really need one for this type of run? Or can I do it as long as it feels good? Thanks! I am clueless on this. I enjoy these runs but don't need any injuries or time spent inefficiently.

Replies

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on building your stamina! And losing weight! Everyone is different. There are a lot of good books and blogs on the subject of rest days - I would look for Jay Dicharry. My training regimen is a lot like yours - it is a very individualized program of mostly slow running as many days as I can do it. My mantra is always save a little bit for the next time. Since this is the first time in my life I haven't injured myself in the first month and am still going at it 6 months later, I can say it works for me. The only thing I wished I made more time for was cross-training, core building and squats.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success to this point! Rest days are individual and not everyone rests every other day. You can try doing two days in a row and resting on the third for a couple weeks and see how you feel. If you don't have issues with sleep or soreness it's probably safe to continue. Just look for signs of overtraining and listen to your body and you will do fine.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will follow these recommendations, and see if I can explore the signs of overtraining.