Where to start......

Hi all, I'm 36, 19 and a half stone and looking to change. However I have no idea where to start to make sure I lose weight rather than turn my fat to muscle (I'd like to be a bit smaller before I try to build muscle)

I have a weight bench (basic, unused) and ride my bike a short distance to work each day, I have no idea whether meal replacement shakes or whey protein etc. would be beneficial or whether I just try to eat less(obvious I know but I get hungry very fast)

I know a lot of this is basic stuff but I've tried and failed over the years and it's usually to do with getting hunger pangs. Any advice you can offer would be hugely appreciated, I have a young boy so gyms aren't an option as I don't have the time to go. I just want to be able to make myself a plan and stick to it but I need something I can use to avoid snacking !!!

Thanks for anything anyone offers me!

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Right now, if you are looking just to drop weight, I'd set your MFP profile up and follow the calories. Make sure you aren't setting your goal too high (1lb per week is enough for many, but .5 lbs per week would work best for you, i'd imagine you aren't trying to lose much).

If you don't want to build muscle, a weight bench and protein isn't really going to help.

You may change your mind, though. You will not turn fat into muscle (doesn't work that way), but by building muscle, you will burn fat. You can't see pounds lost, but you can see inches lost!
  • mbcUK
    mbcUK Posts: 5
    Thanks for that, I do want to lose a fair bit (I think my ideal weight is about 14 stone but thats a long, long term goal)

I wasn't sure about the muscle thing, I don't want to hit the weights and turn into some sort of Hulk, I want to be slimmer, leaner and wear smaller clothes (and be able to fit into a few I love but cant wear right now)

I will diet and manage the calories but what exercise would be recommended and are there things I can do such as protein shakes etc. or is it all in the food. The main issue I have is snacking, not sure what i can do to stop that other than better willpower....
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    It takes a good deal of work to gain enough muscle to Hulk up so I doubt you need to be overly worried just starting out and eating at a deficit. Set up your MFP profile with a 1 lb loss goal maybe and try eating at that amount for awhile to see how you feel. I'd advice eating back your exercise calories since they aren't figured in when MFP sets up your calorie deficit. With a small child walking is a good exercise. It's something you can do as a family and requires no real equipment. I know a lot of people don't like snacking, but I figure it's better to have a little bit of something that I want than to restrict it and end up going insane over it. If snacking is your preferred way of eating there's nothing wrong with having several small meals or one large meal. The important thing is to stay within your calorie goals.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    You don't need protein shakes or powders or whatever unless you are a muscle builder trying to up your protein intake. Most of us on a modern UK or US diet get plenty of protein. The only "diet aid" I'd recommend purchasing is a food scale. Figure out how many calories you should eat per day, learn about healthy eating, and then eat the right amounts of the right things and exercise. The right things are generally those that are less processed, e.g, fillet of fish you coat with bread crumbs and bake at home is healthier than a frozen breaded fish fillet or fried fish from a local fish and chips shop. An apple is better for you than apple juice. Lots of vegetables, preferably fresh ones you steam or roast, are better for you than canned.

Now, you may say, what does an obese woman in her 60s have to tell me? Well, I think you'll find the advice I just gave is pretty universal. You shouldn't eat exactly what I'm eating. I shouldn't try to follow whatever regimen you choose. But healthy eating and regular exercise will lead to the kind of results you are looking for. Lots of folks on MFP are using this method and I think you will find us very ready to help newbies.
  • mbcUK
    mbcUK Posts: 5
    Thank you - sound advice indeed. I will take all this into consideration :)