Fruit Sugar

Options
Morning,

I am trying to eat a lot more fruits and vegetables and eat a loss less meat - since doing this, I have found I go over my sugar allowance every day by a substantial amount because of the fruit.

Is this something I should be worried about as its only natural sugar?

Thanks

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    "natural" sugar is still sugar, so it isn't like it doesn't count just because you got it from an apple.

However, unless you have a reason to be concerned with tracking sugar, like diabetes or something, then going over on sugar is no big deal. As long as you are keeping a caloric deficit you will lose weight no matter how much sugar you eat.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Your body has no real way of discerning the difference between 'fruit sugar' and others. Barring a specific medical issue, don't worry about sugar at all.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Looking at your diary it isn't really "fruit" that's doing it - over 1/3 of the sugar one days was from some "vitamin water" (see below) and anothe rlarge contribution from a fruit soya yoghurt which I guess is also laced with sugar.

Dragonfruit flavoured Vitamin Water Ingredients :-

Spring Water, Fructose, Sugar, Citric Acid, Vitamins (C, Niacin, E, Pantothenic Acid, B6, Folic Acid), Sweetener (Steviol Glycosides), Mineral Salt (Ferric Pyrophosphate), Colour (Anthocyanins), Natural Flavourings
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fruits and Veggies are so good for you! I go over every day on sugar because of fruit and I ignore it because I know I"m eating well. Think of all the nutrition you're getting!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Looking at your diary it isn't really "fruit" that's doing it - over 1/3 of the sugar one days was from some "vitamin water" (see below) and anothe rlarge contribution from a fruit soya yoghurt which I guess is also laced with sugar.

Dragonfruit flavoured Vitamin Water Ingredients :-

Spring Water, Fructose, Sugar, Citric Acid, Vitamins (C, Niacin, E, Pantothenic Acid, B6, Folic Acid), Sweetener (Steviol Glycosides), Mineral Salt (Ferric Pyrophosphate), Colour (Anthocyanins), Natural Flavourings

This for sure
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    "natural" sugar is still sugar, so it isn't like it doesn't count just because you got it from an apple.

However, unless you have a reason to be concerned with tracking sugar, like diabetes or something, then going over on sugar is no big deal. As long as you are keeping a caloric deficit you will lose weight no matter how much sugar you eat.

This is so good to know!! I was worried because I go over on sugars all the bloody time! So happy to read this. :smiley: Thank you!

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Fruits are not bad, unless you have a disorder/disease that requires carb/sugar management. I stopped tracking it because it was driving me nuts to be "over", even when the sugar was coming from grapes or an apple.

Echoing above as well. Gotta watch out for those flavored waters though! They're mostly sugar water. Better off drinking a real glass with some fruit slices infused in it!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It bothers me that I can't flag a post for being helpful or insightful -- well done, yarwell!

For others lured here by the headline -- if you're not sensitive to sugar, it's hard to eat too much sugar per ounce/gram of whole fruits (exception: dried fruits and maybe grapes). Eating too much fruit sugar will make it harder to balance your calories toward the proteins and fats column.

However, refined sugars are very dense -- a lot of calories for their light weight -- and when eaten to excess can cause short-term unwanted mental and physiological changes (a sugar high, an unusually blood-sugar spike) and long-term changes such as diabetes and lipid reactions.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I've just changed my calorie tracker so I see fibre instead of sugar - problem fixed :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Your body has no real way of discerning the difference between 'fruit sugar' and others. Barring a specific medical issue, don't worry about sugar at all.
    THIS!

All sugar is sugar - whether from a fruit or from candy! IT don't matter, your body treats it the same.

Unless you got tha diiiiaabeeettuuus, you're good to go!

Now excuse me while I go finish my tub of candy for breakfast!

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

Mine approved all the fruit I want to eat. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why are we reducing protein??
  • LexieDouglas92
    LexieDouglas92 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for getting back to me = all good to know! yes Vitamin water was a massive shock once I had finished it, but if you look at the past week has mostly been dates/grapes etc. but thanks for all the advice
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    No, not all sugar is treated the same. There is evidence that fructose (a sugar in fruit but also a prominent sugar in High Fructose Corn Syrup as well as prominent in table sugar) is metabolized differently, converting more quickly to fat than expected.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/does-fructose-make-you-fatter/

Again, the small amount of sugar in a whole fruit is not concerning for most people. It's the high concentration of sugar in processed foods, baked products, syrups, and etc. that create for high-sugar meals and out-of-balance diets.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Morning,

I am trying to eat a lot more fruits and vegetables and eat a loss less meat - since doing this, I have found I go over my sugar allowance every day by a substantial amount because of the fruit.

Thanks

Speak with your doctor, know one knows better than him.

Not sure why you would want to reduce your protein... Do you find your hungry all the time? that's because your not eating enough protein.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - sugar is sugar ..does not matter where it comes from. I would suggest not tracking it at all. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. So focus on being in your calorie and macro goals for the day, and not so much about sugar.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    No, not all sugar is treated the same. There is evidence that fructose (a sugar in fruit but also the sugar in High Fructose Corn Syrup) is metabolized differently, converting more quickly to fat than expected.

Again, the small amount of sugar in a whole fruit is not concerning for most people. It's the high concentration of sugar in processed foods, baked products, syrups, and etc. that create for high-sugar meals and out-of-balance diets.

a NY times blog is hardly a definitive source....
  • LexieDouglas92
    LexieDouglas92 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Morning,

Thanks

Speak with your doctor, know one knows better than him.

Not sure why you would want to reduce your protein... Do you find your hungry all the time? that's because your not eating enough protein.

Hi, I am trying to cut down meat not for a health point of view but for other reasons :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    No, not all sugar is treated the same. There is evidence that fructose (a sugar in fruit but also the sugar in High Fructose Corn Syrup) is metabolized differently, converting more quickly to fat than expected.

Huge sample size

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2546703/