Daily Weighing?

Options
Anyone else out there that cant seem to NOT weigh themselves every morning? I promise myself I'm not going to but.............. it always seems to happen!

Replies

• tdhdee
    tdhdee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to do that years ago. Like any other habit, you have to just stop it. Cold turkey. LOL Just pick a day to be your weigh day. That's what I did. I have Saturday morning so I'm not rushed for work and can sleep in a little bit. I might hop on the scale to gauge myself once through the week but that's it.

57763017.png
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much daily, but then I don't have a "problem" with it. I want the data. I want see and learn to understand the fluctuations and be able to correlate them with previous days' sodium intake or exercise levels, etc. It's only a problem if you can't understand and work with seeing daily fluctuations, otherwise "only weigh once a week" is just a SUGGESTION and one you don't HAVE to follow.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Anyone else out there that cant seem to NOT weigh themselves every morning? I promise myself I'm not going to but.............. it always seems to happen!

I think I might have weighed myself a couple of months ago. Maybe...

OTOH I've lost an inch around my waist in the same time, and I've increased my endurance pace to completing a half marathon at a 6 min/ km pace.

Progress is all about the measures, and whether they're meaningful to you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ever since I got the blasted thing, I weigh daily.

For a long time, I weighed many times a day, making comparisons and crap. Now, it's just daily. :)

I just have to know if I went down even a tenth of a pound! Crazy.

If you want to weigh daily, which you obviously do, just do it and stop telling yourself not to. There is no reason you shouldn't. Enjoy!
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a day, in the morning and in the evening (sometimes more depending). I've started recording my weight in the a.m. just to see how it fluctuates with my TOM, etc. Some I've started understanding which keeps me from freaking out when I do see a gain on the scale. I think some people it helps, some not so much. Depends on why you do it. So yeah, I can't NOT weigh.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, too. I like to see the fluctuations based on what I ate, how I worked out, etc. I don't think it's a bad thing unless you get too bunged up about it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

A more serious response.

In what way is the data useful to you? Does it tell you anything meaningful, or do you end up in a mire of spurious accuracy?

Realistically your weight isn't responding significantly to daily stimuli, indeed part of what you end up accounting for is the physical weight of the food currently resting in your gut.

Trends are meaningful, too much data isn't.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily - I like the fluctuations - down 3lbs last Friday, up 2 lb yesterday, up 1lb today - sodium, exercise, TOM

doesn't phase me - overall I'm losing
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well...Im not sure if I could stand waiting an entire week to know if Im staying in line, but that's just me :)
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    yeah I'm addicted to the scale too.....every day without fail.....it plays with my mind but I can't help it....
  • armychic36
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and it helps keep me in check. I don't see it as a bad habit, I think it's just a personal preference.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I don't consider weighing daily a bad thing if you approach it sensibly. If the daily fluctuations are going to freak you out and lead you to despair, goodness me no, don't weigh daily.

Me? I use that stuff as data points over an averaged period of time to make decisions about my caloric intake.

Like this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/NoelFigart1/view/daily-weight-isn-t-the-whole-story-704190
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I'm a big fan of weighing daily. When I was losing weight, weighing daily helped me see fluctuations (ovulation and ToM scale goes up, scale goes down one day after ToM ends, scale goes up the day after sushi, scale goes way up when I fly). I like having information and context. I don't see it as a bad habit I have to break. For me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I weigh pretty much daily, but then I don't have a "problem" with it. I want the data. I want see and learn to understand the fluctuations and be able to correlate them with previous days' sodium intake or exercise levels, etc. It's only a problem if you can't understand and work with seeing daily fluctuations, otherwise "only weigh once a week" is just a SUGGESTION and one you don't HAVE to follow.

What she said.

• GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I used to think it was a problem because so many people say not to. Now, I realize it's a bright spot for me every morning and doesn't have any ill affect on my progress. I enjoy it, especially when the numbers go down!!!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I am personally against daily weighing. Your body can range a few pounds within 24 hours. For me it would become an OCD issue, and I already sometimes get a little crazy over figuring out exactly how many calories i burned, etc.

I weigh in once a week in front of a personal trainer (same time and day of the week) for accountability. It keeps me on track with my eating throughout the week. I don't obsess over a pound or two, especially if I know I ate out twice that previous week, its ToM, etc. Every few months I also take full measurements and BMI. Depending on what you are trying to achieve you will see different results. I personally am building a lot of muscle so seeing the decrease in inches is helping relieve the frustration I get with the scale not going down as fast as I'd like.
  • laurakane1108
    laurakane1108 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    cherirana wrote: »
    I weigh daily. I used to think it was a problem because so many people say not to. Now, I realize it's a bright spot for me every morning and doesn't have any ill affect on my progress. I enjoy it, especially when the numbers go down!!!

I don't get freaked out by it, quite the opposite. I use it gauge progress and to verify my previous days eating (whether good or bad). No freaking except from others who will advise you NOT to weigh every day. I see the downward trend and if I stall or gain, I can indentify why by the food/exercise from the previous day. I record my weight daily on an app on my ipad but track it here once a week.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who likes to weigh myself multiple times a day. I record an "official" early morning weight every day here and at WeighTracker, which is a site that calculates a "true weight" based on daily entries. Seems to work pretty well.

I figure, so what if I'm a little obsessed? It doesn't freak me out. I know plateaus happen, and I know that as long as my logs here are accurate my body will respond eventually.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Like previous posters, I like to see if what I did the day before had any positive or negative effects on my body. However, I also understand fluctuations and I'm not easily discouraged by them. I tried to weight myself once a week and when I did that I saw no loss. But I see it when I weigh myself every day- and I log that weight loss. Not if it's like an ounce, but if it's more than a half of an ounce I log it. It keeps me motivated.