How much do you walk?

Options

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    3 to 5 miles a day split into 4 walks each day.
  • germanimcneill
    Options
    I walk and run a total of about 4 to 5 miles at least 5 days a week.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do yo guys get all of these miles in? I'm a runner and the only time I get 5 miles is when I run them! I guess I'm just pretty sedentary besides my runs. I'd definitely like to up that number if anyone has any suggestions.

You can walk at home with Lesley Sansome videos-look at youtube; treadmill, outside, walking while doing errands.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do yo guys get all of these miles in? I'm a runner and the only time I get 5 miles is when I run them! I guess I'm just pretty sedentary besides my runs. I'd definitely like to up that number if anyone has any suggestions.

I get my butt out of bed at 5:00 am, take care of my dogs, do 20 minutes of yoga as a warm up, and am out the door to do five miles no later than 6:00. I'm back around 7:00, cool off and have breakfast, shower, and leave for work.

On the days that I strength train I power walk to and from the gym which is 1.5 miles r/t.. One day a week I try to get 7-13 miles in.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    How do you all find the time to do all that walking? I suppose some of you have a treadmill at home and can multi-task your walking with your tv watching, but sheesh! That's a lot of walking.

I walk pretty fast, but I can only get the time for about 3-4 miles in a day, and the occasional 6-8 mile treks once or twice a week. I use a GPS tool to calculate my mileage. I only walk outdoors (I have a very active dog who needs lots of exercise). I never count daily activity as "exercise" because I feel like that is cheating.

I don't watch much TV. I get to bed early so I can get my miles in early in the morning. I make the time.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I wear a BodyMedia. I have it set at 8,000 steps/day for my goal but most days I can hit 10,000 no problem. I have even had a few days where I was well over the 12,000 mark. :smile:
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    in reply to how?
    I have 2 kids and whilst the oldest is eating breakfast at around 7am with cartoons, I walk and they youngest usually has a little nap 7-9am after his first bottle of the day so I have a window to fit it in. Then Im allowed to do my kettlebell workout during the afternoon whilst they play/nap and then thats me done.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I get my butt out of bed at 5:00 am, take care of my dogs, do 20 minutes of yoga as a warm up, and am out the door to do five miles no later than 6:00. I'm back around 7:00, cool off and have breakfast, shower, and leave for work.

On the days that I strength train I power walk to and from the gym which is 1.5 miles r/t.. One day a week I try to get 7-13 miles in.

There's a 5 o'clock in the morning too?
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Some days I walk nearly 15k
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    7 miles (11km) for my walk at home each day (the 2nd mile of the 5 mile dvd repeated as many as I can do in a row) then about another 7 miles to the supermarket & back..... then whatever I decide to do after all that. I can easily do about 30km a day..... perhaps a little less.

If I take the longer walk to the supermarket it's 17km all up. I walked 23km to get mascara. I walked to get new walking shoes yesterday, 15km all up & a my 10km walk at home (6 miles of the dvd)

I have my fitbit on 24/7 an I easily get over 35,000 a day now. 20,000 is my daily goal.

I walk all day cause that is all I can do to relieve my back pain.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I typically get anywhere from 5-10 miles a day, usually closer to 5 miles though.

On my really lazy days, I only get about 4000 total steps...which for me is about 2-3 miles...but that's only on days when I literally just don't do anything other than walk about the house while cleaning or cooking.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I get like 1.5 miles a day, usually, on days I'm trying maybe three.
    ....I'm just here to help even out the bell curve. You're welcome.

I probably get more, I walk everywhere and am on my feet for most of my day, but I don't count that.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I should also state that at the moment I'm doing steps on the spot while eating dinner as well as being here. I refuse to stop till I've hit 30,000. I got 3k more to go. I do it while I'm cooking dinner, while waiting for lights at the roads, while just doing nothing at home. I will watch YouTube vids for fun & do it. I'm never standing still
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I walk at work and time permitting I walk 1.25 miles in the morning 2.5 - 3 miles at lunch time and another 1.25 in the afternoon. I run/jog 3/4 miles evenings and weekends ending up with another mile cool down walk. I also have non cardio days but that wasn't the question.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you factor in general walking to and from places that I don't track, I'd probably clock around 4 miles a day including 3 mile walks with my dogs.

Generally speaking, if I'm not at the gym I will aim for around 5 miles a day. I think I average about 25 miles in a week but I'd like to do more!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    7 miles (11km) for my walk at home each day (the 2nd mile of the 5 mile dvd repeated as many as I can do in a row) then about another 7 miles to the supermarket & back..... then whatever I decide to do after all that. I can easily do about 30km a day..... perhaps a little less.

If I take the longer walk to the supermarket it's 17km all up. I walked 23km to get mascara. I walked to get new walking shoes yesterday, 15km all up & a my 10km walk at home (6 miles of the dvd)

I have my fitbit on 24/7 an I easily get over 35,000 a day now. 20,000 is my daily goal.

I suddenly feel very small and sedentary.

I drive to work, and on a bad day, by the end of the working day I might have hit 2,500 steps. So I go for a walk to the shops or anything to get a few more steps in - all hail the power of fitbit!!!!!

At the weekend I managed an 8 mile walk across the moor. To be fair it was rough and boggy terrain, but even so, it was nothing compared to these figures.

All this walking talk makes me want to do more - and they say that those who 'fidget' more, weigh less- ie. those who move constantly during the day. It's less about specific exercise times and more about general activity.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and always get more than 5 miles a day, I walk in my lunch break at work and I've been known to walk to the local shop and back just to get my miles up before bed. On a Saturday I get a lovely long walk in, normally taking me to around 13 - 15 miles on those days. I get my OH to drop me off when he is going to work, and I turn around and walk back home again along Fife Coastal Path, for all the Scottish weather can be miserable at times, the scenery is stunning all the time :bigsmile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

I suddenly feel very small and sedentary.

I drive to work, and on a bad day, by the end of the working day I might have hit 2,500 steps. So I go for a walk to the shops or anything to get a few more steps in - all hail the power of fitbit!!!!!

At the weekend I managed an 8 mile walk across the moor. To be fair it was rough and boggy terrain, but even so, it was nothing compared to these figures.

All this walking talk makes me want to do more - and they say that those who 'fidget' more, weigh less- ie. those who move constantly during the day. It's less about specific exercise times and more about general activity.

Trust me I still workout. I do that in the morning or I just feel sluggish by about 3pm. I only do so much walking for a few reasons, I don't drive...never have. I don't want to pay for public transport... so I walk EVERYWHERE. I have my back injury so walking is actually a better way for me to take my mind off the pain rather than pain killers that I'm addicted to.

But I guess take out the back pain & I'd still walk so much. I love it. Even during summer I was walking that much, I got a great tan :laugh: I don't work, well can't work.....ever again :mad: so this is all I can do really.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I used to walk to work I did 4 miles 5 days a week and if my legs weren't killing me I'd walk home getting that total up to 8 miles. Now my work is 7 miles from home so I don't walk that much about 2 miles a day to various transit, groceries and yoga studio.

On the weekends (almost every weekend this year) I do a 10+ mile hike.

When I was walking to work in 2009 it was my only form of exercise and I lost 15lbs. Then gained all of it back when I changed jobs now back down to the 2009 weight with new routine but miss the walking.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    According to my fitbit I walk over 10,000 steps in a normal day. Saturday I did 20,000 by walking to my son's drama class, walking to work, walking back to the drama class, walking to the station, walking to the Natural History Museum, walking around the dinosaurs, walking to Harrods, walking to a restaurant with excellent couscous, and to be honest I was pleased that dh had his car at the station at the end of the day :laugh:

This pregnancy I'm finding my hips are much better if I get in 10,000 steps a day, which is what worries me today as I feel too unwell and it's raining :grumble: Sitting in the car seems to be the worst for me right now.