Running advice

Options
aimeekrn
aimeekrn Posts: 16 Member
For any runners out there...please just give it to me straight...

Ive been doing a C25K program, right now in the middle of week 3. Found the first 2 weeks to be way too easy (Im guessing its because its on the treadmill -Im in Phoenix, no way Im running in this heat) so Ive been repeating the workout as soon as I finish it. Like yesterday I did week 3 day 2 twice in a row but skipped the first cool down and second warm up. I have no problem getting through these and Im averaging about 3.5+ miles each workout. I do feel spent when Im done though. Im doing this 3 or 4 days a week but they are usually in a row because my work schedule makes it nearly impossible to workout on days I work (Im a nurse). Ive been all over the internet and am seeing so many conflicting theories about how one should run to get the results that I want. Not to mention the suprior attitudes of distance runners who say people like me suck and are super critical of anyone who cant run a 5 minute mile. But I digress...My goals are not ENTIRELY superficial - Main priority is, of course, super lean long legs, but I also want the endurance and CV benefits. In the fall/winter I want to be able to do a few miles of trail running in the desert. Here are my questions.

1. Am I doing this right?
2. Do I need a day a week of longer distance/endurance runs, or is this enough?
3. Seriously, whats the harm in running daily if I can tolerate it? Do I need to be limiting them to 3 days a week?
4. I want to add some kind of cross training to give me more upper body strength than a toddler. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    1. Sort of
    2. Not yet
    3. Running places serious strain on your joints & ligaments & bones and stuff. It takes time for your joins & ligaments & bones and stuff to build up the strength to handle the pounding. The running breaks stuff down, the days off is when your body heals & recovers and that's when the strength is built (during the healing/recovery). Since you've just started running, you are at a point where it sounds like your CV system and muscles are likely to be able to do far more than your joints & ligaments & bones and stuff are going to be able to tolerate over a long period (like weeks/months). So while you handle it now, you are putting yourself at a very high risk for various overuse injuries from doing too much too soon.
    4. Try lifting things/join a gym/weight training. And if you want to do other cross training, go for something low-impact (biking, swimming, elliptical).

Couch to 5k is a plan designed to safely bring you from not running to running for 1/2 hour straight. The "safely" portion means slowly building up and allowing your body time to heal from the abuse you're giving it. That's why you do 3 workouts a week, slowly building the amount of time you're pounding on your joints & ligaments & bones and stuff. Doubling up on workouts isn't going to make you a better runner sooner, it's going to lead to injuries that will sideline you altogether. Follow the program as designed. When you are consistently running 3 miles at a clip a few times a week-and have done so for a while without incurring injury, THEN worry about adding length to one of your runs.
  • aimeekrn
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for that. That makes sense - I need to let my knees (my right one has been bugging me since I started this) and what-not catch up to where I am cardiovascularly. Hadnt really thought of it like that. It pains me greatly to think of slowing down but I guess things could be worse. Such smart people on MFP!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I second everything VitaminD said.

I know it sucks to not push as hard as you want to, but giving your body a chance to get use to it now, will mean you can continue doing this for a long time.

Good luck!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 10k plan, and it pretty much does the same as c25k, but its twice as long. so doubling it in itself isn't too much of a problem. but they way it is designed, it gives you a 'rest week' every 4 weeks, where it actually reduces the time and intensity. then adds another 10 mins to the long run the next week. maybe have a look at it. it takes 13 weeks, you could jump into the 3rd or 4th...

http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/sunrun/pdf/learntorun10k program.pdf
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think your doing it alright. Not really following the program, but who cares.

I think your goal of long lean legs isn't really realistic though. You should look into lifting heavy for that.

If you are in shape and just getting more endurance, fine. Don't go run too fast and if you get pain in your joints or weird muscle popping behind your knees, take a day off.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you were at a better level than "couch" to start out, which is why this is seeming easy. Lots of runners (like me) run every day, or even twice a day, but avoiding injury is critical if you want to be doing this for the long haul -- it doesn't make sense to burn out after 5 weeks and then go back to square one due to an injury. That said, there are other things you can do to help prevent injury.

What you don't want to do is *hard* workouts day after day. Your "rest" day can still involve a run, but it should be an easy pace -- e.g. you can easily carry on a conversation while running. Then two or three times a week, do some harder workouts, where you increase the pace. You can supplement with weight training or other resistance training designed to strengthen muscles that runners frequently injure. Here's a decent basic guide:

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/09/28/strength-training-for-runners-report/
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Slow down. I did what you're talking about exactly at age 23 (28 now). I screwed my right ankle for life. I was doing about 9 miles when it all finally crashed. Not sure what happened exactly, but, its recurring. These days I run slower and stick mainly to cycling when doing high intensity. I was in good shape when this injury happened. Follow a program as structured and take extra time off if needed. Running injuries are horrible.
  • aimeekrn
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind replies . I truly apprecieate all the advice and ideas. Im going to slow things down, and work a little longer overall to build up to 10k distanc....long term goal. I do think its probably a good idea to be nicer to my joints!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am 54. I did C25K on my own regimen and actually took a little longer than the standard one to complete. I did 5k almost every time, just started with nearly all walking and slowly increasing how much I ran. Now a few months later I am running 5 miles and more without trouble. Going slowly works for nearly everyone but I hear a lot of the stories of failure either from injury or disappointment from people who push it. Lots of them do succeed, but the success rate seems to be higher with those who do it slow. Not a scientific study, YMMV, etc, etc...