Should running stairs be considered cardio?

Options
Since January I've been training for a trip to Colorado with my son and his scout troop. We leave in 3 weeks and I've been incorporating stairs for the last week or so. I've been thinking of this activity as cardio and planned to run them daily until we leave. On Saturday I ran 15 flights and it felt pretty good, Sunday I ran 20 and felt even better, today I planned to run 20 and could NOT do it. I barely managed 12 and for the last three felt incredibly weak and shaky. Usually if I have an off day for cardio I attribute it to fuel issues, time of day, quality of sleep, etc. But I'm wondering if I should be treating the stairs more as a resistance activity and only do them every other day. Advice?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The intensity of stair running puts it closer to anaerobic exercise, in my opinion.

If you are doing intervals on the stairs, you should approach it as high intensity interval training (HIIT) and space and time your workouts accordingly.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    That's pretty intense cardio...so of course count it that way! Do some strength training too and you're looking awesome.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Depends on how fast and steady you run them. If you're sprinting them, then anaerobic. If your steadily going at a rhythmic pace that's moderate, then aerobic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread, but can somebody explain to me how anaerobic conditioning (sprints, pushing a Prowler, etc.) differs from "cardio" or aerobic exercise? Also, do you still get the cardiovascular benefits of aerobic exercise from anaerobic conditioning?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread, but can somebody explain to me how anaerobic conditioning (sprints, pushing a Prowler, etc.) differs from "cardio" or aerobic exercise? Also, do you still get the cardiovascular benefits of aerobic exercise from anaerobic conditioning?

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Health_Letter/2008/September/Glossary-of-exercise-terms

"Aerobic vs. anaerobic exercise

Exercise falls into two general categories: aerobic and anaerobic. Aerobic exercise is muscle movement that uses oxygen to burn both carbohydrates and fats to produce energy, while anaerobic exercise is muscle movement that does not require oxygen and only burns carbohydrates to produce energy.

In practice, aerobic exercise means activities such as walking, bicycling or swimming that temporarily increase your heart rate and respiration. Aerobic exercise (also known as cardiovascular exercise) builds your endurance.

Anaerobic exercise typically means activities such as weightlifting and push-ups and sit-ups, which builds muscle and physical strength through short bursts of strenuous activity. An ideal exercise program should include both aerobic and anaerobic exercise."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Anaerobic and aerobic each use different muscle fibers for work. Type I fibers are usually used for aerobic activity, while type II fibers are used for anaerobic activity, based on how they utilize ATP. Anaerobic conditioning usually involves lots of explosive movements, which aren't usually done for more steady state cardio regimens.
    And yes you get cardiovascular benefits from anaerobic conditioning especially when you do HIIT and Tababta and increase your VO2 max (which many aerobic people try to do).

IDEA Fitness member
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I was always under the impression that 'cardio' meant anything that improved cardiovascular conditioning. I think running stairs would elevate the heart rate for long enough to be considered this.
  • thatgirlLeah
    thatgirlLeah Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    I would try not to over complicate it. I'd think stairs would be more anaerobic, so do it like high intensity interval training (HIIT). Go fast up the stairs and then take your time going back down, then repeat (taking breaks when needed).
  • thatgirlLeah
    Options
    Anaerobic and aerobic each use different muscle fibers for work. Type I fibers are usually used for aerobic activity, while type II fibers are used for anaerobic activity, based on how they utilize ATP. Anaerobic conditioning usually involves lots of explosive movements, which aren't usually done for more steady state cardio regimens.
    And yes you get cardiovascular benefits from anaerobic conditioning especially when you do HIIT and Tababta and increase your VO2 max (which many aerobic people try to do).

IDEA Fitness member

So, in order to determine whether I'm using Type 1 fibers or Type 2 fibers, is there a formula or standard that I can apply to my stair running? Sorry to be a bit of a dolt, I'm really new to this "fitness stuff." My main focus has been weight loss since January. I've used diet and treadmill walking at an incline. In hindsight, I wish I had incorporated weight training from the beginning. I didn't know then what I know now...and I still don't know much! I've been incorporating stairs to simulate inclines so that I don't hold the boys back (short, chubby mom...tall, fit kids) when we are on our trip. But I don't know if I can continue to do them daily or should do them every other day.
  • thatgirlLeah
    Options
    I would try not to over complicate it. I'd think stairs would be more anaerobic, so do it like high intensity interval training (HIIT). Go fast up the stairs and then take your time going back down, then repeat (taking breaks when needed).

You're right about not over complicating it. I'm good at that. Eeeks! :laugh: So, treating it as HIIT should I stick to every other day?
  • MisterDerpington
    Options

You're right about not over complicating it. I'm good at that. Eeeks! :laugh: So, treating it as HIIT should I stick to every other day?

I'd think stairs might be more taxing, but I'm not sure. I've done HIIT 5x on an elliptical and a Prowler (weight sled) before. I think it depends on your fitness level. Maybe start with 3x a week and then move it up to 4 and 5.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    This is a more simplified answer to your question:

http://www.myfooddiary.com/resources/ask_the_expert/aerobic_vs_anaerobic.asp

This is a more detailed explanation of the cellular process:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Aerobic_Respiration_vs_Anaerobic_Respiration