Beef

Options
bitty1taz
bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
I recently saw a program called Food Inc. Wow, what an eye opener as to what goes on with our food. Did you know that in one serving of hamburger, you could have a few thousand different cows in that one serving??? Ewwww! And also...as of when this documentary came out...when it says...FDA approved...that doesn't mean squat. I recently read a post where someone said that Burger King burgers where FDA approved and all natural. Well...yeah...all natural crap.
But anyhow...I suggest watching this. It's very interesting and educational. I know it made me think twice about what kinds of meat I buy.

Replies

• stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I saw that movie too - scary! Makes me like bocca burgers much more LOL. Kinda sick about the conditions the animals have to live in. I mean I know they are being raised for food but my God, how cruel. I've never been a bif fan of ground anything, but now it really turns me off. If I do eat it, I can guarantee it is cooked well done.
  • bitty1taz
    Options
    After watching that...if you are a fan of beef (I am) then I suggest going to a local butcher...knowing where your cow came from...and go that rout.
    It was so sad to see how the cows live after watching that show.
    I have a dairy farm down the road from my house and those cows have the life. The guy only has a few...they are clean and have a green lush pasture to graze on.
    That is how it should be.
    It also said that cattle where never supposed to be raised on corn...didn't know that up until then.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    We could all influence the industry by asking for lean grass fed beef at the grocery store. We now have mass produced beef because that's what we have indirectly asked for. You can't have a $1 buger at the major chain store and also have quality beef. Marbled steaks and roasts are also more tender and therefore get a higher price. Again the market requested it; we got it. Also farm subsides, which are too complex to go into here, result in factory beef. As a kid I lived on a small farm. We raised our own beef and sold cattle for market. We also raised dairy cattle and the crops to maintain them. Those farms are nearly all gone now. You have to specialize and get big or die.

Govt assistance/intervention is part of the problem. We wanted cheap food and the govt got it for us. It used to be that quality natural food was cheaper than processed junk. It's just the opposite now. We are getting fat on processed junk full of corn syrup and factory meat. If you want to be further disgusted, watch the movie King Corn. Our food has no taste compared to 50 years go. Flavorful meat takes time to produce. We are after speed and volume now. Chickens are ready for market in a manner of weeks. They are kept in a tiny cage and can't even move. Many can't walk, assuming they had room to do so, by the time they are processed for meat. We eat venison mostly, it has flavor and is very lean. I'm looking to start raising chicken. I miss the real food I used to take for granted as a child.
  • bitty1taz
    Options
    anotheryearolder.....I totally agree with you.
    We are also looking to raise our own chickens within the next year.
    I have no idea on how to do that, so I will have to do some reading before I start. LOL!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Yeah. All the more reason to hit up the local farmers and butchers. I just got back from the farmer's market near my place where I buy grass fed beef from a local farm. The price is much more reasonable than it is for the same product in a grocery store. Beef fajitas are on the menu tonight!
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I live in a farming area...how do you find a local grass fed beef "dealer"?
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Turkeys are raised to so fat now they can't even breed and all have to be artificially inseminated. both those films are very good and a real eye opener. You could get lost in a corn field and starve to death because the corn no longer has any nutritional value. Its so sad. And buying natural costs twice as much, which the majority of people can't afford.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Weird, all my ads on the sides just changed to NY strips and buffalo burgers, LOL.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I live in a farming area...how do you find a local grass fed beef "dealer"?

I would recommend starting here: http://www.localharvest.org

You can find listings of farms in your area. Poke around on those farms' sites. Many of them sell meat in bulk (boy do I wish I had a bigger freezer) and/or list the farmer's markets where you can find their products.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't eat red meat. By choice. :drinker: