Machines, huh?

claraoswold
claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've decided to do some strength training as well as elliptical cardio. My college has a very nice gym with a lot of equipment that is included in the fees I pay. I tend to shy away from the free weights, since that area is super crowded and I prefer to be left alone when I exercise. The machine area is less populated and there is no waiting.

I have no idea really how to start. Most of the programs I've read are for people who like free weights. I've tried a few and find that I can barely do 2-3 sets with very low weight.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    It's a process. With most any exercises, you won't be able to do a ton of weight right from the start. Start with whatever weight challenges you, then do a little more weight each week or month.

As for what to do... most gyms have a circuit of machines - that's as good a place to start as any.

You may ask the gym staff when the busy times are. I work on, and workout in, a college campus gym and it's dead in the morning. From about 2-6, it's packed. Maybe you could go at a non-peak time and do some free weight work?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I've tried a few and find that I can barely do 2-3 sets with very low weight.

That's perfect. Newbies don't need to start with more than 2-3 sets per muscle group.
    Follow a good program. NROL is a better program for a busy gym than the barbell-based programs.

Oh and if people try to talk to you while you workout, wear large headphones. ;)

• W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    I have no idea really how to start. Most of the programs I've read are for people who like free weights.

Check bodybuilding.com and consider which muscles are being used, what kind of movement is being done, ect. Then choose machines that emulate that movement as best as possible. The reason most programs use freeweights is because they are superior.
    I've tried a few and find that I can barely do 2-3 sets with very low weight.

You're not mixing 'sets' and 'reps' are you? If not then 2-3 sets is what most programs will have you on. The only reason to do more sets is to make sure you are getting enough reps. This is commonly done in strength training as you usually only do 3-5 reps per set.

• 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    You might also want to ask if they have any PT students who offer services. Sometimes, college gyms have trainers who help out for class requirements or for extracurricular activities. A couple sessions should get you on the right track and show you how to use the weights (or machines, if you insist), without hurting yourself.

It's OK to start out low. It's better to start out with very low weight and great form and work up from there. You'll get many more benefits in the long run.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited October 2014
    Friday and Saturday night's were always empty at my university. Sunday-Wednesday is the most crowded at night. Mornings 5-7 are usually fine. Those intimidating frat guys don't wake up for their morning classes so they won't be there.

Don't waste your time on most machines. They do not allow for proper development of all stabilizer muscles and tendons. They can lead to injury and instability in your body later on because you're over developing big muscles and giving minimal training to smaller muscles. For example, on a bench press machine you can only push the weight away from your body. You don't need to stabilize the weight from falling left, right, back, forward, ect. With free weights, your body needs to activate a whole variety of muscles throughout the upper body to keep the weight moving up and down. These muscles have to develop along with the bigger muscles to become stronger.

The only machines worth using are the cable pull down (lat pull down) and ones that allow for movement in multiple planes.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    When I started at the gym I was primarily using nothing but the machines. They are mostly self explanitory but if you don't understand the mechanics of any particular machine just about anyone else lifting there will be happy to explain. I set up my own routine moving from one piece of equipment to the next doing one set of 10 reps and then would repeat the process 3 times (arm machine, leg maching, abs, etc.). There are a lot of books out there for beginners that explain the various lifts and give suggested workouts if you need this. You are at the right weight if you can just barely finish your final rep - at least that is one way to get a good starting point. Eventually I moved to free weights because they make you use a lot of other muscles just in the act of balancing the weight you are lifting. Currently following "Strong Lifts 5X5" which is a nice program for any level. Lift heavy; stay healthy!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Sucking at something is the first step toward being kinda okay at something. The secret is to do your homework and keep going.
This discussion has been closed.