Signing up for a 5k - great motivator or too much pressure?

Options
2»

Replies

• nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    What about a 10k in April??
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Easy peasy.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?

A 5K?????

Are you crazy or something?????

>:)

I'm just having fun.

Honestly, if you want to do it, you will. I don't see anything wrong with singing up. You won't be able to run it if you don't sign up for it, that's for sure. As for the motivation thing, well, yeah...just do it.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thanks guys! I think I'll sign up for the 10k in April - eek!!
  • xrachel2014
    xrachel2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    great motivator
    I've just signed up for my first 10k about 10 minutes ago. Just casually sitting here internally screaming "why Rachel why" but i'm looking forward to it really, hoping it will push me to run further than my current 5-6km :smiley:
  • alinroc
    alinroc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's an excellent motivator. I only started running because I signed up for a race and had that money on the line (if I bailed, I just burned $35). Now that I've done several 5Ks, I find that I run much better, much more frequently, and much more consistently if I have an upcoming race.

I'm going to have to start signing up for one a month just to keep myself going.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    oh my god I think I'm actually.... excited???? I'm going to sign up for the 10K in April it's in a gorgeous scenic area :#
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yes! Do it! Sounds like a perfect way to keep moving over the winter with a goal in mind for the spring. :) Excited to hear about the runs!
  • MakingMyDreamsComeTrue2015
    Options
    I found it to be a great motivator. I ran/walked a 5K in March 2014 and I loved it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    So... I'm thinking about signing up for a 5k in July 2015.

In 8 months you could reasonably be running 10K.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone - go get 'em!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    it's a great motivator.

Eve if you're not all the way there you can walk/run....color runs are great fun, and most people walk them...
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    As a point of reference, I only started running for small stretches while on my walks back in late June. I could only run maybe 100 feet or so at first without going back to walking to catch my breath. Over the next few weeks this increased. On September 20th, only 3 months perhaps after starting all that I ran my first 10k. It was also the first time I ran that same distance all the way through without stopping to walk. Prior to that day I would go a mile or two, then walk for maybe a quarter mile, then run again. I found that I was able to find a pace where I was not actually running out of breath and could continue as long as I willed myself through it, and that happened the day of the race.

So I think you can make that 5k or 10k in the timeframe you are talking about.
  • check1972
    check1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great motivator. You don't have to break the land speed record, you just have to finish what you started. Crossing the finish line for the first time is almost surreal.