Am I losing weight the right way

Options
So I do bootcamp 5 days a week. I am only taking in 1200 calories a day and sometimes I dont reach that. Sometimes I go over a tad bit. But after reading something today, it said that I should at least be taking in 2500 calories a day. I dont put my workout into MFP ever. I dont know, maybe im just going to up my calories to like 1500..... I dont know......What do you all think???? Should I be taking in more calories???
Ive been losing weight, dont get me wrong. My first month was 8 pounds, but now im in my second month and have only lost about 3 pounds.
I am still having progress, but I just want to make sure Im doing this all the right way.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How are you managing a bootcamp 5 days a week on only 1200 calories a day?? Definitely up your calories. These links should help...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Try 1400 calories a day and keep up the workout consistency.

Good Luck

29509743.png
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    dont believe that BS, youre doing fine.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You have 33 lbs to lose, which means your goal should be 1 lb loss per week. Eating less than 1200 isn't good, especially if you aren't eating any exercise calories back. You don't say how tall you are, but I would venture a guess that you could probably eat a lot more and still lose, and would see better results from your workouts when you fuel them properly.
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You may need to up your calories... feel free to friend me if you would like. I'm happy to help in any way I can. ankdworak
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    Try 1500 because you do a lot of strenuous workouts :)
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight and you feel fine, stay where you are. If you're tired all the time, light-headed, always hungry, maybe up your calories a little. Go based off what you feel.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Your goal is too aggressive but you are possibly over-eating. That or you are effing with your metabolism and will have a harder time losing weight when it comes time to lower your intake.

And simply going by how you feel is not always a good indicator of whether you are eating enough. Just like how you can often get false hunger signals or feel full when eating way too little, you need to work out the math to figure out ideally how much you should be able to eat to maintain your weight, and then subtract 20% from that (or less if your goal is nto that high) and eat that for a month or two.

I recommend health-calc.com and exrx.net, you may find that the former estimates higher. Remember to do AVERAGES on these websites, either by averaging out weekly activity into a hypothetical single day or by calculating your most active day and then least active, average those two out, and then subtract 20%. You can include exercise if you exercise regularly, or you can omit it and log/eat back exercise as MFP is set up to do automatically.

With 33lbs to go, you likely need and can eat more than you are. Which will improve workouts and improve your body composition.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you are looking for sustainable weight loss I would strongly encourage upping your caloric intake. I would also suggest consulting with your primary doctor, or a nutritionist or even a trainer at a gym to see what your body needs. It just seems like you are hardly eating a damn thing and why do that to yourself? Why, when you can eat more and lose weight? I wish you the best and hope you find the answers you need to continue losing weight in a healthy way. Congratulations on your current weight loss accomplishments. :)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    open your diary.
    log exercise.
    your figures dont add up and you are grossly misevaluating somewhere.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    as you see.. you'll get advice all over the board.

So.. my two cents? How you lose your weight is how you will have to maintain it.

so if you enjoy bootcamp and want to do it five times a week and eat 1200 or 1400 calories the rest of your life.. then keep it up and don't change.

If you love food and don't have all that time for exercise… you could lose slower..eating more..and exercising four to five hours a week..and eat like 2000 or more calories day.

you just have to choose.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    How you lose your weight is how you will have to maintain it.
    I don't understand that. If you lose weight at a calorie deficit you maintain it by removing the deficit. If you lose weight at 1200, you won't maintain at 1200. If you think your body 'resets' so that 1200 is your new maintenance, that's wrong.

Studies show that any significant metabolic adaptation to lower calories goes away when normal eating resumes. There are links in my profile to the studies.