Someone explain shrugs to me?

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
Ok, so let me set the scene. I'm at the gym doing my squat and deadlift session. There's a rather large fellow of jovial statue standing so close to the dumbbell rack he's using it to put his thighs against.

He then takes a couple of 45 pound dumbbells, and proceeds to shrug them while grunting like a musk ox in heat.

Really, what the hell is the point of the shrugs? After he got his shrugs done he went and did some curls, and then some cable stuff, then left. Maybe 20-25 minutes of low rep, low weight machine stuff at the end. If one is already doing decent volume deadlifts, and pull ups, is there a training value to the shrug for a novice or intermediate lifter?

Replies

• ReverendOrange
    Options
    So shrugs are used to develop your trapezius muscles, giving the impression of the triangle neck. There are three forms of shrugs, front rolls, back rolls and a vertical shrug, each attacking a different point of the muscle. Typically these are done with very heavy weights as the trapezius are difficult to isolate, but are important to develop in terms of a stabilizer or secondary muscle group in other lifts.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Wouldn't utilizing and prioritizing the other lifts train the traps as far as they are needed?

I have wondered often why the only guys I see doing them are the guys that I don't see doing compounds other than bench.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I superset shrugs with rear delt fly. Shrugs are great for traps and in return when I do the rear delt fly I utilize less back and traps than I would doing the fly alone.

Shrugs work the traps and the delts. They are a great accessory lift.

Sounds like you don't lift around bodybuilders or powerlifters.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Wouldn't utilizing and prioritizing the other lifts train the traps as far as they are needed?

Not necessarily. There are many people who don't engage their traps fully while lifting because other muscle groups are too dominant. Shrugs help deadlifts and bench, so they do have a benefit as accessory work.
  • yomikeya
    yomikeya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Shrugs can really be done on back or shoulder day (if you isolate). It's a good "vanity" muscle but it's also a good stabilizer and is useful for many upper back/shoulder exercises.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do smith machine shrugs for my traps. I want to get them nice and beefy to cushion a minor bone spur on the back of my neck that makes barbell squats painful.
  • dbmata
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Sounds like you don't lift around bodybuilders or powerlifters.
    LOL, this is true. Most of the people I lift around are the always curl day types.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Just another isolation move. Kinda would be the same question as asking that if you are already doing pull-ups then what is the point of doing curls?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    do them occasionally because they help me work out upper back pain
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Since you have started doing cleans and if you also do snatches you won't need to worry about shrugs. For those who don't do Olympic lifting or high pulls than shrugs are a good way to work traps.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think those cleans will be great for not ever needing a dentist again. lol.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Yeah miss the lift and you will know what it is to take it on chin! :o
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

I have wondered often why the only guys I see doing them are the guys that I don't see doing compounds other than bench.
    It depends on their training program and split, I assume. E.g. I'm doing a demanding 4 day split (arms/shoulders, plyo/legs, cardio, back, chest/shoulder, HIIT, rest) right now, and the muscle groups that I'm working need a lot of rest, before I can go again. It's almost all supersets, a variety of seated presses, rows... I can't do compound exercises that target upper and lower body muscle groups in the same workout. I have not done a single deadlift in over 6 weeks, but I'm still burning out my muscles, and something like shrugs would just finish off the last little fiber around the shoulders. If in doubt, just ask. I'm sure, the guy will share some experience.

Happy lifting!
  • dbmata
    Options

Yeah miss the lift and you will know what it is to take it on chin! :o
    That is why I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my shoulder.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I think they are for shortening your neck. :D

I never do them though. I get enough work with my side lateral raises and rows.

P1010374500x463_zpsaa1ddb22.jpg?t=1413924906
  • dbmata
    Options
    you're part minotaur!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Plenty of compound exercises work your traps. It's the same argument for why should anybody bother to do biceps curls if they're doing pull-ups and other rowing movements.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If your goal is all around strength, isolation exercises are a total waste of time. I'll bet your gym friend couldn't do a single decent pullup. Whole body moves like squats and deadlifts will make you strong, not puffy.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Plenty of compound exercises work your traps. It's the same argument for why should anybody bother to do biceps curls if they're doing pull-ups and other rowing movements.

I think what caught my eye about it, is that this was the bulk of the guy's workout, and while I've seen him around a few times, I've never seen him do a compound other than a bench or shoulder press. So obviously I got curious.

I'll give em a swing next time I break out the trap bar for deadlifts.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    If your goal is all around strength, isolation exercises are a total waste of time. I'll bet your gym friend couldn't do a single decent pullup. Whole body moves like squats and deadlifts will make you strong, not puffy.

I know many powerlifters who use shrugs as an accessory on deadlift days. Several of those compete (and hold titles) at Olympia. Not saying everyone should do them, but they aren't a total waste of time.