Question for those successful at losing weight...

Options
2»

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Depends on your goals.

If you just want to lose weight, then it's simply about a calorie deficit.

If you want to lose body fat and/or have specific body composition goals in mind, then you need to still be at a calorie deficit, but now you need to be more aware of macronutrients.

I am in the latter camp. I am aware of both calorie needs and macro needs. I know roughly what I should eat as a minimum per day and reach that re: calories, while also knowing that from those calories I need x grams of protein (I am flexible with fat and carbs). I eat anything as long as I meet protein needs.

Also edited to add, you'll have an easier time including macros into your goals by focusing on what is most important to you. For those of us who strength train, protein is the most important. For an endurance athlete or someone with diabetes, carbs will probably be their most important. Just pick one out of the 3 macros as your primary one if it's easier to approach macros this way, although I will say that for me, once I reach to hit my protein goal my carbs and fat intake usually balances out to roughly what I've set them as without me actually trying to reach my goals.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have lost 160+ pounds. This is a very individual thing, as you can see by the responses. It is important to find what works for you, and is right for you. Preferably, with your doctors knowledge and approval of what you are doing. It has been extremely helpful for me to use the MFP forums to give me ideas and suggestions, as well as other sources on the internet. I am strictly a calorie in calorie out person, staying within my calorie allotment and eating as little processed foods as possible. Nothing is excluded though, just less of everything. I did not start exercising until I had lost 90#, but now, I work out in the gym 5 days per week, and go for long walks on the weekend.

Experiment, to see what works best for you. Best of luck!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, prioritize calories.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Calories, just calories for me! Some days I'm SO unhealthy, but I'm always within my calories and have continued to loose weight at a steady pace so I'm happy!