Strength training/HIIT on opposite days?

Options
Alassonde
Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been strength training for a few months (using bodyweight exercises from the "You are your own gym" program). I have been thinking of adding some high intensity interval training twice a week. The plan I am looking at has things like mountain climbers, jumping jacks, etc. My question is, will this impair my muscles during their "recovery" time? I am trying to do a recomp but I'm gaining. I know I'm gaining some muscle, but I'm sure I'm gaining a little fat with it. I thought perhaps adding HIIT would help with that, but I don't want to impede the muscle building either.

Replies

• browndog1410
    Options
    The rationale is that when you work hard with resistance training you tear muscle down so a good diet and recovery time between training enables you to rebuild and get strong. It is suggested that you allow 48 hours between reworking a muscle. Hence the 3 x a week training routine is effective and popular. The issue is that if you incorporate super sets (one set of an exercise and immediately follow with a different muscle exercise) or giant sets (more than 3 exercises done back to back - e.g. I do one set for back, shoulders, legs and chest, rest a minute then repeat) you get a powerful cardio effect. You could, if you wanted to, do your resistance work and then do 10 minutes of cardio. Only, don't attempt to do to much or you could overtrain, or get bored.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It is fairly likely that you will end up over training and slowing down your overall progress. More is not always better and HIIT is very draining physically. Generally between strength training workouts your body need the rest. Since you are doing bodyweight strength training there is likely a little more flexibility, but more is not always better.
  • AddiesHK
    AddiesHK Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When you start doing the "strappers" at the end of week 7-10 that's 1 day of HIIT included in the program already.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm kind of a weenie so bodyweight exercises are quite hard for me. I will continue with doing what I'm doing and for now not add anything else.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    The rationale is that when you work hard with resistance training you tear muscle down so a good diet and recovery time between training enables you to rebuild and get strong. It is suggested that you allow 48 hours between reworking a muscle. Hence the 3 x a week training routine is effective and popular. The issue is that if you incorporate super sets (one set of an exercise and immediately follow with a different muscle exercise) or giant sets (more than 3 exercises done back to back - e.g. I do one set for back, shoulders, legs and chest, rest a minute then repeat) you get a powerful cardio effect. You could, if you wanted to, do your resistance work and then do 10 minutes of cardio. Only, don't attempt to do to much or you could overtrain, or get bored.

This, research shows that cardio won't be a detriment to your weight training long term, make sure you use pre and during workout nutrition
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Do a "finisher" after your strength training session.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

This, research shows that cardio won't be a detriment to your weight training long term, make sure you use pre and during workout nutrition

He is correct, resistance training and endurance training can be paired with each other. I would however be cautious of HIIT and heavy resistance training as they basically use the same energy system.