Eating Out.

Options
If you must absolutely eat out, what are your go to's?

Replies

• AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I try to look up the menu online and plan ahead. If I can't find nutritional info then I'll stick to a simple salad with a plain grilled chicken breast or a piece of salmon. Dressing on the side.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb but I have zero problem eating out. Although if I go to wendys and order a double baconator with extra bacon and cheese. But hold the bun and ketchup. They sometimes give me a weird glance.
    I do have issues with low carb at asian places as well as pizzerias, other than that though can always find options. Hardest part is guessing the calories/carbs if it isn't a chain.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If the restaurant has nutritional information online, I'll plan beforehand. If not, I have what I want but I will choose and eat mindfully- if I want a pizza then I may eat half an have to rest for the next day. If it's a more crowded meal with different things on my plate then I use my carbs and cals app to help eyeball guesstimate portions. At the end of the day it's just one meal that you may get an incorrect count on but it is more important to log it rather than saying balls to it and skipping your tracking for the meal.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I usually try to aim for somewhere that does things like chicken, steak and salmon and options for vegetables as side dishes. If I go to a pizza place, well, the one I go to usually has a sub 500 calorie pizza and superfood salads anyway. I avoid creamy sauces. Of course, sometimes I just go in for the kill and have whatever I fancy including dessert.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i dont eat out much. I tend to get chicken breast sandwiches with no mayo and unsweetend tea at fast food places, and everywhere else I just watch my portions.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Applebee's under 550 meals.
    Buffalo Wild Wings Naked Tenders
    Shrimp or grilled fish tacos w/ black beans at a Mexican place.
    Small steak and 2 veggie sides at the steak house.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    A fancy restaurant that is upscale and has no nutritional info because it's not a chain. In which case I consider it a treat.

Otherwise it's probably easier, more cost effective, and better tasting that I make it myself.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If the place doesn't have nutrition info online I look up the next closest thing online and go with the one that has the higher calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    depends…

if I am on a business lunch then I will go grilled chicken sandwich no mayo ..or if it is a dinner maybe grilled fish and some rice or equivalent..

if I am dining out at a really good place that I know has good food, then I am going to eat whatever strikes my fancy on the menu and then I will log it to best of my ability later..

dieting/eating right is good, but don't let it sabotage an ocassional night out at a great restaurant or night out with friends….
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    depends on how many calories I have allotted for that meal.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Look up what your options would be prior to going to any restaurants then you can pick and choose restaurants.. that would be my route.
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    Soups are my go-to as they are low calorie and healthy or I'll have grilled chicken/fish with vegetables/salad. When going to restaurants always ask for dressings on the side coz a lot of them are calorie ladden.
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    And skip the entree and platter of bread at the start as calories add up. If you get dessert share it with someone or skip the dessert.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    For me, it sometimes makes life easier. We're all busy - so I'm not saying my schedule is crazier than anyone else's. But between 2 jobs, grad school, family: sometimes easy is what I need.

Subway: many options
    Chick Fil A: grilled chicken 'nuggets' or grilled chicken sandwich
    McD's: cheeseburger happy meal (not the best burger in town but $3.50 and 415 calories)
    Wendys: salads and nuggets
    Zaxby's: love their salads
    Long Horn, Chili's, other chain sit-down restaurants: lots of options

My 2nd job is Dominos and I often make my own food there. That way I can make sure nothing is over-topped. Many pizza options, depending on caloric needs, if you are reasonable with portion size. And lately I've been doing a modified philly sandwich: open faced w/ 1/2 the usual cheese (so 1 slice provolone & 1 slice American) and I ditch the other piece of bun, just eat it like toppings on toast.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    KFC. Yum.
  • That1Chick_Brit
    That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    For me, it sometimes makes life easier. We're all busy - so I'm not saying my schedule is crazier than anyone else's. But between 2 jobs, grad school, family: sometimes easy is what I need.

Subway: many options
    Chick Fil A: grilled chicken 'nuggets' or grilled chicken sandwich
    McD's: cheeseburger happy meal (not the best burger in town but $3.50 and 415 calories)
    Wendys: salads and nuggets
    Zaxby's: love their salads
    Long Horn, Chili's, other chain sit-down restaurants: lots of options

My 2nd job is Dominos and I often make my own food there. That way I can make sure nothing is over-topped. Many pizza options, depending on caloric needs, if you are reasonable with portion size. And lately I've been doing a modified philly sandwich: open faced w/ 1/2 the usual cheese (so 1 slice provolone & 1 slice American) and I ditch the other piece of bun, just eat it like toppings on toast.

I am a philly cheese steak kind of gal. That sounds delicious! lol Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!!!