Kirkland Popcorn...Trying to understand their label???

Options
2»

Replies

• jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't appear to have made this any clearer. Let's regroup:

The bag has 2.5 servings of popcorn (popped or unpopped).

One serving is 2 tbsp kernels.

Therefore the bag contains about 6 tbsp of kernels.

2 tbsp of kernels makes 5.5 cups popped popcorn.

If the bag has 6 tbsp of kernels, each bag will make 13.75 cups of popcorn. (Measure it out people, popcorn has a lot of airspace...since most bags don't pop completely this is an optimistic estimate...you're more likely to get like 11 cups but let's not quibble about little things)

One serving of popcorn, any way you slice it, is 2 tbsp of kernels so your calorie count for one serving *is* the first column.

The second column gives you 1/5.5th of a serving (a serving being 5.5 cups popped popcorn) or 1/13.75th of a fully popped *bag* of popcorn. The second column is misleading, which is where all the confusion is coming from I think.

Better?

• mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Much better now! Sorry that anyone felt upset by this. ..i very much appreciate the clarification!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Let's remember that everything is an estimation and you are really overthinking this.

Measure out the amount of popcorn you want after it's been popped and go by the 1 cup breakdown it gave you.

The calorie difference isn't going to break your deficit if it turns out to be a little over because...popcorn...and the cup measurement of it all is going to be off slightly anyways due to the differences in weight (1 cup of popcorn won't weigh the same as the next cup, basically). Plus you have the kernels that didn't pop that you'd have to consider as well.

TL;DR - It's not that important to be "that" exact on the popcorn.