Anyone with PCOS?

Options
Okay, so I am at the point where I want some science and facts to help me with this. In a nutshell:

I have PCOS
Currently losing weight
Am 30
Have a VERY sensitive digestive system(!)

I have heard and read so many conflicting things about having PCOS, losing weight, and nutrition that I'm sick of it. I want to know what will actually work. Yes, I've talked to my doctor about this and she's well-versed on assisting patients with PCOS. She suggested I stick to a more "ethnic-based diet." Aka, a diet which closely follows my ethnic heritage (I'm Indian).

But then, I come across contradictory information. Women with PCOS are supposed to limit fruit, legumes, grains-- in other words, low-carb. Then I read about how the Paleo diet is supposed to "cure" PCOS. Then I read about how a high-protein diet is supposed to help. My doctor doesn't approve of the Paleo diet for various reasons. Personally? I can't stand the thought of eating that much meat. Blech! I know that sounds weird to a lot of people, but coming from an Asian background, tons of veggies, fruit, legumes, and rice is what my digestive system knows. Unfortunately, that's a lot of carbs...but when I eat more meat and dairy, I have digestive distress.

To be honest, I feel so much better when I stick to a more ethnic diet. I don't have digestive distress. I don't feel fatigued and sluggish. Even though I feel better, my body still has PCOS. To top it off, I notice after 20 pounds it's hard for me to lose any more weight beyond that (I'm 40 pounds overweight). There was a point where I felt like I was starving myself at 1400 calories, exercising 3 times a week.

What should I do? What does the science say? I have been successful with losing weight little by little, but the last thing I want to do is end up starving myself to lose weight while shooting my foot to manage PCOS.

Replies

• TXRangersFan76
    Options
    I don't have any answers but am also dealing with PCOS and would love to hear the answers to your questions.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i forgot, what is pcos?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    never heard of "ethnic diet" what is that too?
  • LoveLoveandRage
    LoveLoveandRage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i forgot, what is pcos?

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    one of the symptoms of pcos is insulin resistance, which can also lead to diabetes over time, which is one of the reasons the idea of low carb gets put up to top of the list.

As a long term diabetic myself, I love my carbs, but I have to be smart with them.

Unfortunately, and I know there are a lot on this forum who are going to post after me and say poppycock but main reason those with PCOS and/or diabetes get told to stay away from fruit and things like that, is not because it is bad for you, nothing at all wrong with fruit, but it is the sugars in them.

Once your insulin resistant, the body won't use the sugar be it natural or refined, and it stays in your blood stream as glucose, which is what turns a lot of PCOS sufferers into Diabetics also.

So I tend to keep my sugar intake to between 7 and 10 per meal, and my net carbs to no more than 150 per meal.

Thats what I have done for last 3 years and managed to get off insulin injections and a boat load of other meds.

But totally up to you if you try it or not.

No real bad foods except for anything thats high in any form of sugar, due to our insulin resistance.

Hope that helps
  • iset_the_fair
    iset_the_fair Posts: 15 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have PCOS and today is my 30th birthday. In the last 12 months I have lost over 70 lbs (33kgs as of today).
    I can only tell you what worked for me.

I am 5ft 3in (159cm) and I have a small body frame. I am aiming for a goal of around 115-121lbs (52-55kgs)

I have my MFP goals set for 1200 calories per day as a baseline. I aim for 100 grams of protein (though rarely get to it) and I try to keep my carbs under 100 grams per day, and very very rarely over 150.

I have taken the insulin sensitizing drug Metformin XR (500mg 1 per day at times up to 3 per day on doctors advice) but mostly it just makes me feel sick. I think it did help with weight loss for the first few months. But now my blood test results are normal and I'm no longer testing as impaired glucose tolerance/insulin resistant.

I take 100mg of Spirolactone for the PCOS symptoms. I find this helps with water retention as well.

I use a heart rate monitor to measure my exercise calorie burns, add those to my MFP diary and eat most of those calories back.

I find I do better with brown and unrefined carbohydrates. You won't fine me often eating potatoes or white bread. I eat basmati rice and prefer wholemeal and wholegrain breads.
    I also love ice cream, but try to stick to a low sugar brand.

Feel free to add me :)

I am not very consistent with logging.I will also admit to having disordered eating issues.
    These do sometimes hinder my weight loss.

My best advice is to stress less about what you HAVE to do or CAN'T eat. When I started I just focused on eating whatever I wanted under my goal calories. As I got lower I started to focus more on the combination of foods to get closer to macro goals.

Now I'm trying the 5:2 method, where I eat maintenance calories 5 days a week so I can learn how to maintain.

• ksgoddess
    Options
    I was diagnosed 10 years ago when my PCO symptoms finally reached severe, but have managed most symptoms with meds (1500 mg metformin, 150mg spiron and 3000mg fish oil and birth control). The Overnight Diet by Caroline Apovian one of the best books I've read and helps redefine/point you in the right direction as to appropriate protein intake. I agree strict paleo is difficult, but there are a lot of great paleo recipes and concepts within it. I'm skeptical of dieticians and their carb recommendations (150-300/day) are simply too high for me.

I find it easier to shed/maintain weight when taking metformin, low(er) carb is just a reality, strength training 3-4x/week as building muscle has reshaped me and killed inches, no refined sugar/flour etc. and 8 hrs of sleep. You'll drop weight quickly if you keep to 50 carbs/day or less, 100 carbs/day allows for slower weight loss or maintainence and allows you to eat sensibly without obsessing over every carb.

Finally, a protein smoothie for breakfast has been key as I can't stand the idea of meat/eggs at every meal. I've lost 30 lbs and nearly brought my doctor to tears at my last appt. because my labs looked so good.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Nerdycurls wrote: »
    Okay, so I am at the point where I want some science and facts to help me with this. In a nutshell:

I have PCOS
    Currently losing weight
    Am 30
    Have a VERY sensitive digestive system(!)

I have heard and read so many conflicting things about having PCOS, losing weight, and nutrition that I'm sick of it. I want to know what will actually work. Yes, I've talked to my doctor about this and she's well-versed on assisting patients with PCOS. She suggested I stick to a more "ethnic-based diet." Aka, a diet which closely follows my ethnic heritage (I'm Indian).

But then, I come across contradictory information. Women with PCOS are supposed to limit fruit, legumes, grains-- in other words, low-carb. Then I read about how the Paleo diet is supposed to "cure" PCOS. Then I read about how a high-protein diet is supposed to help. My doctor doesn't approve of the Paleo diet for various reasons. Personally? I can't stand the thought of eating that much meat. Blech! I know that sounds weird to a lot of people, but coming from an Asian background, tons of veggies, fruit, legumes, and rice is what my digestive system knows. Unfortunately, that's a lot of carbs...but when I eat more meat and dairy, I have digestive distress.

To be honest, I feel so much better when I stick to a more ethnic diet.I don't have digestive distress. I don't feel fatigued and sluggish. Even though I feel better, my body still has PCOS. To top it off, I notice after 20 pounds it's hard for me to lose any more weight beyond that (I'm 40 pounds overweight). There was a point where I felt like I was starving myself at 1400 calories, exercising 3 times a week.

What should I do? What does the science say? I have been successful with losing weight little by little, but the last thing I want to do is end up starving myself to lose weight while shooting my foot to manage PCOS.

Good job losing weight.
    You probably need more than 1400 calories.
    Consider changing your goal to one half pound a week.
    Eat what you are used to.
    Try to drastically cut back rice and bread.
    Eat more vegetables than you are already doing.
    Beans and lentils are good.

Try that for a month.

• laurashjess
    Options
    I have PCOS, (12 years now) and have tried absolutely everything to lose weight over the past 3 years with no success. Just in the last month I started a low-carb diet under 50g per day and the weight is FINALLY coming off (which is awesome because I am super determined to fit into a wedding dress next september). Plus I feel a million times better, for the first week it was super hard as I felt sick all the time (probably from the lack of carbs and weaning myself off of them) but once I got past that I felt a hundred times better, I wake up in the morning not tired, and I have energy through out the day. I think with the PCOS you have to find something that works with your hormones and insulin resistance. I also take metformin 1000mg 2x per day. I have been losing about 1-2lbs a week with 20 minutes on the elliptical 3-4x per week and under 50g of carbs.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, ladies!

To clarify the "ethnic diet"-- I mentioned I have an Asian background. I wasn't raised eating lots of meat or dairy. To this day, my diet primarily consists of brown rice, lots of veggies, tons of legumes, beans, and fruit here and there. My doctor mentioned sticking to this diet because it's what my body physiologically knows. For instance, it's really hard for me to eat the "recommended" dairy servings without getting um, bathroom issues.

Right now, I'm choosing to lose weight slowly-- somewhere around 1/2 to a pound a week. I've lost 5 pounds and kept it off, and want to lose another 5 before the year end. I've been working out consistently 3-4x a week, with strength training. I eat somewhere around 1700-1800 calories a day, depending on how hungry and/or active I am. My body frame is quite large. I've tried the 5:2 method but find that I still need the consistency with logging. Until I feel comfortable, I log each day.

I just get so frustrated whenever I read "this way works best," when I've tried it and it does NOT work for me. From what you ladies have said, some things work for some women, and others don't.