Katch-McArdle or Cunningham to measure TDEE?

Options
Which one should I use for the most accuracy?

Using a caliper my body fat was measured to be 18% while using the military body fat calculator thru fat2fitradio, my body fat was measured to be some ridiculous 16%. (you need to enter your height weight neck waist hip measurements in inches which for me were height: 62.5 weight: 105.6 waist: 24.3 hip: 32 neck:12)

Which method should I use if I were a very active person (HIIT min 5 days a week, each session lasting 40 minutes or longer with heart rate of 150 or over) with body fat % of 18% or lower?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Katch-McArdle or Mifflin St-Jeor are the ones recommended the most if you are going to do TDEE.

Also.. if you are doing HIIT a minimum of 5x a week for 40 minutes, you are doing it wrong. Should really only be doing it 1-2x a week, MAYBE 3x. For like 15-20 minutes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Because it is all just estimation, just pick one and stick with it for 6-8 weeks then adjust by taking off 50-100 calories if needed and do again.

As for bodyfat %, here's a link that goes into the different measurements and pros/cons of each.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods

And in regards to HIIT, what ana3067 said. You shouldn't be doing HIIT 5x a week.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Because it is all just estimation, just pick one and stick with it for 6-8 weeks then adjust by taking off 50-100 calories if needed and do again.

As for bodyfat %, here's a link that goes into the different measurements and pros/cons of each.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods

And in regards to HIIT, what ana3067 said. You shouldn't be doing HIIT 5x a week.

bingo.
  • latteking
    latteking Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank U all, Im sticking with Katch-McArdle for now!!
  • Balikkk
    Balikkk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did Katch-McArdle work for you?
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Does anyone else use these formulas to get a base bmr? And is there a certain body fat percentage where these become a more accurate formula? Finding as I've leaned out and added some muscle the St jeor isn't giving enough each day so considering one of these.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I believe Katch-McArdle tends to be the most reliable if you actually know body fat. (That's what Tom Venuto says, anyway, and it makes sense as it uses actual BF%.) It fits me well (based on the DEXA I had back when I was tracking calories more rigorously). But everyone is different so you will likely still have to adjust some based on results.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I believe Katch-McArdle tends to be the most reliable if you actually know body fat. (That's what Tom Venuto says, anyway, and it makes sense as it uses actual BF%.) It fits me well (based on the DEXA I had back when I was tracking calories more rigorously). But everyone is different so you will likely still have to adjust some based on results.

Thank you. Not a lot of posts on these other formulas here so appreciate the feedback!