Bowflex

Options
I am looking at buying a Bowflex for my husband and step-sons for Christmas. I would love to buy the latest and greatest, but almost $3,000 is more than I want to spend. I have been looking at the Xceed, PR3000, and the Blaze. Does anyone have any advice to offer or believe one is better over the other?

Replies

• DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you have enough room for it, as a guy, I would prefer to have a oly weight bench with squat attachment and leg extension attachment and a set of oly weights up to 300 pounds. Depending on what your budget is, you could probably find it for almost the same price. I had a bowflex, and to be honest with you, it rarely got used. I am tall though, and it just did not work for me in a lot of ways.
    Something along these lines you could buy for under $800.00
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10793623&clickid=prod_cs&recid=Product_PageElement_product_rr_1_813

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17108466&cp=4406646.4413986.12598195

A set like these you can add some dumb bells to and have a pretty complete set up. I personally would try to find a power cage if I was shopping, but I don't know what your budget is.

• DvlDwnInGA
    Options
    By the way, I just checked out Sports Authority. They have that same bench for $100.00 dollars cheaper and also provide free shipping on everything over $49.00.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Agree with Dvl. That BowFlex will be an expensive coat hanger. A power cage, bench and a set of olympic weights is the way to go. If you don't have the room for it there are other options.
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have both. The bowflex is only used for two exercises. Sports Authority has a great squat rack on sale half price at $350 right now. I love it. Just add a bench and weights. You can do about anything with it. It has pulleys for lat pull-downs and also rows. Pull ups and dips as well. The best
  • jupdyke
    jupdyke Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses...he has mentioned an olympic weight set as well. I will check out the links you've sent.
  • jupdyke
    Options
    Can you elaborate on what a power cage is?
  • DvlDwnInGA
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/XMark-Power-Station-Pull-up-XM-4430/dp/B004OVLSMA

It is a box that you can set up you weights and barbell in to do a multitude of exercises. Squats, bench press, pull ups, dips, etc. Google power cage to get a visual of what we are talking about.
  • jupdyke
    Options
    Thanks! I think I am sold on the idea of a weight bench and weight set for now. Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention! I found the weight bench on Amazon for $302 and free shipping. As of now I think that weight set you gave the link to from Dicks may be the best bet. I appreciate your help everyone!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    Options
    I think everyone in the house will get much more use out of your new plan and it will be much easier to add to later on than the Bowflex. Good luck with your purchases, I am sure they will love them.