Is running really the best way to lose weight?

Options
Disclaimer : English is not my first language. Grammar fanatics stay away! :wink:

I remember, as a newbie on MFP, reading the posts about running. People would whine about not losing weight and a "veteran" would inevitably tell the OP to run, that it was the best physical activity to lose weight. So I always believed that if I could run, I would lose weight so much faster than this turtle or non-existant pace.
Of course, I had tons of excuses not to run. I didn't like it, it was too hard for my joints, I had flat feet, and so on. But as you might have guessed, I started running in April 2014 (I will skip the details about the tedious decision process). I did a C25K program, enlisted in my first race on June 21 (I had to walk most of it because of the difference in altitude on the itinerary but I finished it anyway!). I kept running and now I run 3 times a week, my average pace is 5mph and my longest run is 8K. :D
But while running, even though I was counting my calories, I wasn't losing. I was actually gaining. And don't tell me "muscle weights more than fat", the measuring tape was telling my I was getting bigger. :s
When I started doing HIIT... well, that is another story! 5 to 15 minutes a day and boom! I was losing 0,5 lbs a day. (Of course, there are a few set backs but mostly because of lapses in my eating) I'm now at 12 lbs lost in 2 months. My long term goal is 60 lbs so I still have a long way to go, but I'm confident. :blush:
So to all of you newbies, looking for the magical physical activity that will make you lose weight, do your homework and search about HIIT. Here is one example: http://neilarey.com/programs/30-days-of-hiit.html

I'm not telling you to stop running and drop everything else but to add this to your routine. It's only a few minutes and it's the little extra you need to have results! You can also do it at home and it doesn't require any equipment. So no excuses! >:)

This being said, everyone is different and I wish you all the best of luck in your weightloss journey :smile:

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    No, a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. You can run, or do any other type of exercise, and remain fat.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Eating in a deficit is to lose weight.
    Running/lifting/exercise is for health and fitness.

There is no magical exercise to get you to lose weight. It's all about the calories in/calories out equation. What happened is you started expending more calories than you previously were OR eating less than you previously were, thus you saw weight loss.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Ditto. The only way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you expend each day. Exercise is for fitness. There is no magical exercise unless you count that as the one you like to do so you keep doing it on a regular basis (for me that is running). HIIT does burn more calories in the same amount of time than steady state cardio. However, long term studies on HIIT have not yet been completed so a mixture of HIIT, steady state cardio, and strength training is still most likely the best mix. Stay healthy!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Your analogy is completely flawed. You put on weight because you ate too much. This is not the fault of running. If you ate similar levels on any other activity, then the same rule would apply.

So your HIIT would be completely useless for weight loss, if it came with a 20" cheese pizza side order.....

Name me 5 other exercises that you could realistically do and burn between 800-100 calories in an hour.....
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Your analogy is completely flawed. You put on weight because you ate too much. This is not the fault of running. If you ate similar levels on any other activity, then the same rule would apply.

So your HIIT would be completely useless for weight loss, if it came with a 20" cheese pizza side order.....

Name me 5 other exercises that you could realistically do and burn between 800-100 calories in an hour.....

1 swimming
    2 elliptical
    3 squash
    4 rowing machine
    5 stationary bike

all 5 have netted me 1000+ calorie burns per hour on my 50lbs weight loss journey.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I was a runner for years and didn't get much out of it in terms of visible changes in my body. I've been doing HIIT workouts six days a week since June and my body has changed dramatically. Just my two cents.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »

1 swimming
    2 elliptical
    3 squash
    4 rowing machine
    5 stationary bike

all 5 have netted me 1000+ calorie burns per hour on my 50lbs weight loss journey.

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth......
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds in six months when I started running. I did not change my eating habits.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    No. Its not.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    For me, as long as I run the weight falls off and I can eat whatever I want.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    A lot of HIIT programs give you visible results because they incorporate not only the cardio you need to get into a deficit, but usually also bodyweight stuff like squats, pushups, etc so you are killing two birds with one stone. Two fat birds. Lots of exercises burn lots of calories, I'm in agreement anything with weight bearing exercises gets quicker more exciting results. Even if the weight is just you.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options

1 swimming
    2 elliptical
    3 squash
    4 rowing machine
    5 stationary bike

Get an HRM.
    I weight about 300 lbs and an hour with any of those things will net me about 600-700 at most burned. And that's if I'm going hard as hell.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Whatever keeps you moving, inspires you to be consistent with an exercise plan and helps you with caloric control and creating a deficit is best. For some that is running for others its something else. Just do what you enjoy and makes you move the best.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    kathdela wrote: »

1 swimming
    2 elliptical
    3 squash
    4 rowing machine
    5 stationary bike

Get an HRM.
    I weight about 300 lbs and an hour with any of those things will net me about 600-700 at most burned. And that's if I'm going hard as hell.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I run because I like the way cardio makes me feel. That being said, I also do the elliptical and I'm thinking about maybe doing the machine circuit at my gym on my off cardio days. For most of us on here, I think it really is as simply as eat less and move more. Do the exercise you like. Eat at a deficit. Be healthy
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Anything that involves your whole body moving at a fast pace for a sustained period is going to give you burns comparable to running. Most of those involve membership in a gym or a lot of indoor space in front of your TV or computer, though. With running, all I need is a pair of good shoes.

Running can also be HIIT if you do it right. Sprint for an interval and then jog or walk for an interval. It's as simple as that.
  • CLessMe
    CLessMe Posts: 21 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just want to add, that neila rey site is very cool! At least, I think it is.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Like I said in the post, I was tracking my calories. I was eating 1500 calories a day (I'm 5'1'' and 27 years old) I was measuring mostly but weighing some of my food. I log EVERYTHING. So I'm confident to say my diary is acurate. And I've never had a 20'' cheese pizza in my life... side or main dish!

No, a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. You can run, or do any other type of exercise, and remain fat.

Running 3 times a week, having aquafit class once a week, eating 1500 cals a day... I think I had my calorie deficit! It just wasn't giving me results. Women in general have more endurance and so I think practicing an activity that works on strenght is beneficial.

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    kathdela wrote: »

1 swimming
    2 elliptical
    3 squash
    4 rowing machine
    5 stationary bike

Get an HRM.

Your results on those machines may not be the same results as others. I hit around 700 calories on the elliptical in about 45 minutes. If I were to maintain my starting pace all the way through the routine, I would surpass 1000 calories easily. The thing about HIIT is that you burn just as many calories as longer routines in a shorter period of time. This fits well in a society that is so fast paced and short on time. I like my time spent working out and am usually not just in a rush to just get through it. It's also a mental relaxation thing for me too so something that is too fast paced would lose attraction for me. To each their own.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    melduf wrote: »

Like I said in the post, I was tracking my calories. I was eating 1500 calories a day (I'm 5'1'' and 27 years old) I was measuring mostly but weighing some of my food. I log EVERYTHING. So I'm confident to say my diary is acurate. And I've never had a 20'' cheese pizza in my life... side or main dish!

Running 3 times a week, having aquafit class once a week, eating 1500 cals a day... I think I had my calorie deficit! It just wasn't giving me results. Women in general have more endurance and so I think practicing an activity that works on strenght is beneficial.
    If we're having a conversation about the benefits of running alone vs. the benefits of running along with strength training, I'm right there with you. But lets make the conversation about that, not about how HIIT > running.