Lack of motivation, please help

Options
It's been about 5 weeks since I started dieting and 2 weeks since I started Insanity. I'm kinda okay with the diet, I happen to be hungry but I don't eat cheat meals almost at all, I crave chocolate so usually I eat some sweet fruit like a peach. I'm struggling with the workouts, since Insanity is really hard, I've been sore since I started Insanity lol so it's not the greatest feeling to workout when you're already in (good) pain. I go to school and then I have to study and I end up doing Insanity at like 8 pm and I'm not really enjoying it since, again, I'm kinda sore. I wish that I was motivated to do it like after finishing my homework like at 4-5 pm instead of doing something else, I just can't seem to always find the right motivation. By the way, I'm 18, 160 lbs (started at 170 5 weeks ago) and I'm trying to get to about 150 before 2015. Any help would be highly appreciated ! Thanks in advance and I wish everyone a great day !:)

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Different exercise. Walking, running, cycling. You dont have to do one exercise just because you have signed up to it.....
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat a little chocolate each day if you love it. A small piece of it will be a great treat and will NOT ruin your whole diet. It will actually help your diet since you'll feel less deprived. :)

Insanity is so intense. If you're not enjoying intense, try something else for a while. Or do part of the workout and then finish with a speedy walk around your neighborhood. You can keep losing weight without working out like an athlete.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Hi there! When I really am craving chocolate - I drink coffee - helps tons!

I think that your goals are TOTALLY reachable and I give you high props for going through this for 5 weeks.

Maybe you can switch up your workouts now - to give yourself a boost to be excited about something different! Also - dont forget to pamper yourself a lot now that you are exercising consistently. Take some time in the evening a few times a week to stretch and/over foam roll/tennis ball your leg muscles and back. This can prevent injuries and really increase your body's ability to handle your workouts better.

Also look into how much you are burning each day, you made need to eat a little bit more or take an iron pill too, just to make sure you have enough fuel and dont get burnt out.

Youre doing awesome and you are on the right path. Make your rest days "active rest days" and go for a little walk, or take a yoga class or just try some poses in your livingroom.

Dont be scared to switch your programs up as long as you have faith in yourself to continue with being consistent. Because THAT is the key to progress. Steadily moving forward, taking tiny breaks to gather up your brain, and continuing onward.

You will totally make this happen!
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i find fat free chocolate pudding helps with chocolate cravings - eat it with a banana and its great. Your actually doing well. You have 10 to go and have around 10 weeks. if you keep up this pace you'll be there. Find an exercise you like if you dont like insanity. Pain is not gain!
  • Pebbles5280
    Pebbles5280 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is my weakness as well. I tried total deprivation and that absolutely drove me nuts, I craved it all the time. Now I buy a bag of kisses and put them in the freezer. Every morning I take out 3 and that's my daily allowance. It keeps me from binging because I can't eat them frozen, they hurt my teeth.

When I'm at work and someone brings in candy or treats, I either leave the empty wrappers on my desk or make a note of how many I eat. If I trash the wrappers, I can easily "forget" how often I've dipped into the goodies.

Insanity is tough. I alternate it with the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred series. Shred is a good workout but not as intense as Insanity.

It's a process. If you do fall off the wagon, do an extra long workout that day and restart fresh in the morning.

You can do this :)
  • dblanch2013
    Options
    If you can afford it, sign up for a gym that has free classes--rebound, zumba, pilates, etc.--and join. It is a little intimidating at first, but I promise, no one is looking to judge, and people mess up the moves all the time. Get there early to get in the back if it makes you more comfortable. I was in a rut with my work out, and I took a rebounding class-jumping on trampoline-and it was a great boost and motivator. It is so much fun, and with everyone around you, it will certainly keep you motivated to keep going! I was self conscious at first about it, but I am really glad I decided to do it.

What everyone said though, diversity is best, and you can't always work out intensely or you will burn out. Since you only want to lose 10 pounds, allowing yourself a treat once in a while is okay and healthy. Anyway it should be more about a lifestyle change in general. You don't want/can't go back to the way you were eating before the diet otherwise you will end up right back where you started.

I try to do the 80-20 or 90-10 lifestyle if I am dieting. I will be good 80 or 90 percent of the time, and not beat myself up for the other times. If you eat 21 times a week (3 meals per day), you can allow yourself to cheat 4 times a week. Obviously, don't eat a whole pizza because that is over cheating, but let yourself have some ice cream or chocolate.
  • SHYGIRL8185
    SHYGIRL8185 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've got two things that have kept me motivated. One is having someone hold me accountable. I know that they're going to ask if I exercised/ate well. That usually helps keep me in check if I start going off the deep end by binging on bad food or missing a few workouts. The other thing that has worked best for me is focusing on what I'm going to do once I lose the weight....what I'll wear, how people will react to me, how much better I'll feel. And just remember if you mess up, you can always start fresh the next day.

I also really like chocolate. Not usually chocolate candy, but brownies and things like that. I noticed that if I don't continuously eat sweets eventually I stop craving them. We just had a round of birthdays and weddings, so I'm back to square one with that. A good alternative I've found is chocolate milk. I usually use 1% or skim and something like Carnation Instant Breakfast (something with a less sugar and some actual nutrition). I don't typically drink milk, but I've really started to crave it since I started eating better...I guess I need the calcium or maybe just the sugar rush. When I do drink it, I use it as my post workout snack once I cool off. Usually just half a serving (about 4 ounces) is good enough to kick the craving and isn't too hard on your calorie intake, plus it's supposed to be a good recovery drink.

Most importantly remember not to push yourself to the point of giving up. Everyone here has tried and failed at some point. The important part is to keep at it in the long run. I'm 29 and I've been back and forth with weightloss for all of my 20's. Looking back, it kills me to think about how many times I didn't stick it out. If Insanity is too intense, take a break and try something else. You don't have to stop, but it helps to alternate what you do just to keep from getting bored. Just keep at it...Good luck!
  • klynturner
    Options
    Congrats on loosing 10 lbs so far!!! Insanity is tough, maybe you're just bored with it. Have you tried any HIIT, other than insanity? I'm in love with this website- http://neilarey.com/ Best of luck and just know you can and WILL succeed :D
  • becess96
    becess96 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I read all your comments and I want to say thank you to everyone, and also to the ones that congratulated me on my recent weight loss. I think I'll either join a GYM class or find a workout buddy. I used to play football in high school and I never skipped training because there was a lot of competition, who's faster, who can catch/tackle/intercept etc.. and also who lifts more, maybe my problem is the fact that I workout alone, instead, if I had a partner we could race and see who does better. Thanks again to everyone !:)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, I ALWAYS make room in my allotment for a treat, so eat chocolate. Secondly, as per your workout, work through the pain, you will feel so much better when you're past this time.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    becess96 wrote: »
    I read all your comments and I want to say thank you to everyone, and also to the ones that congratulated me on my recent weight loss. I think I'll either join a GYM class or find a workout buddy. I used to play football in high school and I never skipped training because there was a lot of competition, who's faster, who can catch/tackle/intercept etc.. and also who lifts more, maybe my problem is the fact that I workout alone, instead, if I had a partner we could race and see who does better. Thanks again to everyone !:)

if competition is a great motivator for you, it's probably a quality in yourself you might enjoy cultivating. Get to yourself more and more and eventually youll have a program thats perfect for you and that you really truly love. (and that your body loves too!)