Gluten sensitivity?

Options
So even when I lose weight I noticed after eating my fave foods like pasta and bread I would get so bloated that by the end of the day I looked pregnant. I considered I maybe sensitive to gluten so for the last monthish I have substituted bread and pasta for gluten free alternatives. I deffo have felt a million times better and also have a flatter stomach etc..

I am at a BBQ and presumed one wholewheat bread roll wouldn't hurt! 15-30 mins later and I have stomach cramps and am super bloated! So much so that I had to change to get comfortable!

I was wondering if this sounds like a gluten sensitivity and if so how long it takes the bloating/ache to go away after one roll :-( so uncomfortable!!

Also I started like burping almost straight after.. I know tmi lol

Replies

• lucycassingena
    Options
    ??
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    I get the same way. :(

The good news is depending on the qty, it lasts an afternoon or evening.
    Bad news is that I have often had it last 3-4 days.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    and another side effect is joint pain, mostly in my knees.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    it may be gluten intolerance, it may not.

Keep a food diary and when the onset of symptoms occur.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I gave up eating bread , pasta, rice and potatoes on 12/31/12. I had horrible psorias on my legs, a bloated midsection, and all kinds of aches and pains. Not to mention puffy all over.

I lost 46 pounds, but if I eat too much food that has wheat flour or even soy sauce, the bloating, etc, comes back. (I don't eat corn either)...

I don't really care why, I feel better without those foods. I also look better, skin clear. I can eat bananas, apples, avocados (no more than one each a day) and still feel great. I eat nuts, mostly almonds in limited quantiites daily as well.
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    Yes potato can be heavy too but it doesn't do this to me.. It's deffo the effect of bread and pasta .. Maybe some other things but they are the worst.. I used to get really achy too that maybe why then! Ill carry on gluten free it won't do me any harm, eating non gluten free seems to be..
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about a year and a half ago and once I cut out gluten it was shocking how much my stomach went down. I didn't realize how bloated I was because I had been that bloated for as long as I could remember. I also had the knee pain another poster mentioned as well as a weird muscle pain in my left calf that would not go away. Both went away once I cut out gluten. Even now if I accidentally ingest gluten my first symptom is knee pain.

There are an insane amount of symptoms that go along with Celiac Disease and gluten sensitivity. One thing I didn't anticipate happening was my anxiety and depression, that I had had basically since I was 12-13 years old (20+ years), lifted considerably.

But be careful with pre-made gluten-free foods like pasta or muffins, etc. They sometime have a super high sugar and/or sodium content to make them palatable.

ETA: If I accidentally eat some gluten, I get the knee pain, stomach cramps and abdominal pain. The cramps and pain usually go away in a couple of hours. The knee pain in about a day. Sometimes I will get some anxiety along with it and that lasts about 24-36ish hours. Yeah, good times. LOL
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about a year and a half ago and once I cut out gluten it was shocking how much my stomach went down. I didn't realize how bloated I was because I had been that bloated for as long as I could remember. I also had the knee pain another poster mentioned as well as a weird muscle pain in my left calf that would not go away. Both went away once I cut out gluten. Even now if I accidentally ingest gluten my first symptom is knee pain.

There are an insane amount of symptoms that go along with Celiac Disease and gluten sensitivity. One thing I didn't anticipate happening was my anxiety and depression, that I had had basically since I was 12-13 years old (20+ years), lifted considerably.

But be careful with pre-made gluten-free foods like pasta or muffins, etc. They sometime have a super high sugar and/or sodium content to make them palatable.

ETA: If I accidentally eat some gluten, I get the knee pain, stomach cramps and abdominal pain. The cramps and pain usually go away in a couple of hours. The knee pain in about a day. Sometimes I will get some anxiety along with it and that lasts about 24-36ish hours. Yeah, good times. LOL

I agree I have high anxiety which got really bad in the months before this as well which has been amazingly better since I started mfp! I did that if I eat gluten i get mood swings and seriously tired soon after like I went to nandos once opted for pitta.. Literally could have slept straight after and just for so grumpy!! The pain has gone now thank god still a tad bloated though. I haven't been diagnosed and when I mentioned it to the doctor I felt pretty fobbed off.. I am the same though I was always bloated and had a sore tummy after food especially as my fave foods are pasta and breads and I thought it was normal but now when I eat gluten (because I haven't so much) I can really notice the severe change!
  • LadyWolf66
    LadyWolf66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also have the very high anxiety and depression with eating wheat. The couple of times I've tried barley, I don't remember having much of a reaction so I think for me, it's just the wheat. I haven't tested rye because I haven't found it without wheat flour. I don't think I get too much bloating with gluten. At least I don't notice it nearly as much as the anxiety and depression.

About two years ago I gave up dairy and wheat (cold turkey) and rapidly lost about 25 pounds (unfortunately those pounds are back - I haven't been as careful as I used to be with the dairy). That made me feel great - physically and emotionally, but then I had gallstone issues and I read they can come from rapid weight loss. I don't ever want to be that sick again - ugh. I did lose another 9 pounds from that though.

I haven't been as committed lately as I need to be with cutting out the gluten and I have been feeling the effects lately. I just recommitted myself to MFP and a walking and exercise program. Tracking my foods here will help me see if it actually is the gluten/wheat or possibly something else. I just need to remember to be diligent about that.

Pasta was kind of hard to give up, especially since I'm half Italian and I really do like it. I have found a good substitute - if any of y'all are in Texas and near an HEB grocery store, their brand of gluten free pasta is actually pretty good. It's fattening though so be careful about portion sizes.
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    I also have the very high anxiety and depression with eating wheat. The couple of times I've tried barley, I don't remember having much of a reaction so I think for me, it's just the wheat. I haven't tested rye because I haven't found it without wheat flour. I don't think I get too much bloating with gluten. At least I don't notice it nearly as much as the anxiety and depression.

About two years ago I gave up dairy and wheat (cold turkey) and rapidly lost about 25 pounds (unfortunately those pounds are back - I haven't been as careful as I used to be with the dairy). That made me feel great - physically and emotionally, but then I had gallstone issues and I read they can come from rapid weight loss. I don't ever want to be that sick again - ugh. I did lose another 9 pounds from that though.

I haven't been as committed lately as I need to be with cutting out the gluten and I have been feeling the effects lately. I just recommitted myself to MFP and a walking and exercise program. Tracking my foods here will help me see if it actually is the gluten/wheat or possibly something else. I just need to remember to be diligent about that.

Pasta was kind of hard to give up, especially since I'm half Italian and I really do like it. I have found a good substitute - if any of y'all are in Texas and near an HEB grocery store, their brand of gluten free pasta is actually pretty good. It's fattening though so be careful about portion sizes.

I am half Italian too :-D it certainly makes a difference to how obsessed a person gets with pasta lol and bread like garlic bread and warm dough bread omg!!

But I have substituted it for gluten free and the ones I've been using have been pretty alright actually quite nice infact :-)