Frustrated

Options
I started running about 2 months ago and now I run 2.5 miles (and walk another 0.5 miles) 3-4 times a week. I also do weight training 3 times a week. I keep track of my calories religiously and have not increased them since I started running, but I have gained 2 lbs. Hearing people say that "oh it must be muscle" means nothing to me b/c I want the scale to go down and not up for any reason! I feel like if I eat any less I will basically not eat at all and if I exercise any more I will have time for nothing else. I weigh 122lbs. right now and would like to get down to 110lbs, but I am finding it almost impossible. I do have a low thyroid and take medication, but my intake vs. output should negate my thyroid function anyway. I am just so tired of hearing that I am not doing enough b/c at this point I do not know what else to do! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Water retention from increased exercise.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It wont be muscle id not have thought as that's a lot of muscle but probably water weight instead looking at what your eating I find sodium makes me gain lbs as water is retained how tall are you? low thyroid does slow weight loss down but hey your 122lbs that's great maybe you are the right weight you need to sculpt or change composition im not an expert but you haven't given a whole lot of info
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Water retention from increased exercise.

Am afraid water doesnt hang around for 2 months.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't have an experience or knowledge about thyroid stuff, so you should really consult with your doctor.

If you didn't have a thyroid condition my advice would be to reevaluate your calorie intake. It is also important to account for calories burned in exercise because a common mistake is to under eat when exercising hoping to lose more weight. When in reality your body is undernourished and clings to all the nutrients it can, preventing weight loss. I also suggest looking at BMI, body measurements, and Body Fat % in addition to weight to see a bigger picture. If you had before and after of those it would be easier to see where the 2lb increase came from.

Don't give up! Talk with your doctor and keep pushing forward. Best of luck :)
  • slb1008
    slb1008 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am only 5ft tall so 122lbs is a lot for my height. At 123lbs I am considered overweight for my height. As for calories I was keeping it at 1200 a day, but not losing so I dropped it down to 1000 a day and lost a couple pounds down to 120lbs, but then I just stopped (which is why I started running to change up my workout). I work out 5-7 days a week depending on my schedule for 40-60mins a day. I hope that gives more info, sorry for leaving stuff out, I did not mean to be vague.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Based on what you've told us, I definitely think a chat with your doc is in order. You seem to be doing everything you can already!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    slb1008 wrote: »
    I am only 5ft tall so 122lbs is a lot for my height. At 123lbs I am considered overweight for my height. As for calories I was keeping it at 1200 a day, but not losing so I dropped it down to 1000 a day and lost a couple pounds down to 120lbs, but then I just stopped (which is why I started running to change up my workout). I work out 5-7 days a week depending on my schedule for 40-60mins a day. I hope that gives more info, sorry for leaving stuff out, I did not mean to be vague.

You're probably not eating enough, especially with that much cardio. When you eat too little, your body begins to burn less calories while working out and so the scale stops moving. I'd suggest increasing your calorie intake. I know it's scary at first, but you need that extra fuel to have energy for your workouts. Once you have more efficient workouts, then the weight will come off. Are you feeling dizzy or nauseous during your workouts? Cuz those are indicators of too little food as well.

Keep it mind, it's only 2 lbs, and weight can fluctuate like crazy day to day for a variety of reasons. What you ate, hormones, etc. My advice is to not focus too much on the number on the scale. Check out my profile pics -- I have a side by side one where I weigh the same in both (red/white tops). Weight is NOT the only measure of progress and fitness!
  • esjones12
    Options
    Every doctor, nutritionist and personal trainer I have talked to does not recommend women eating under 1200 calories a day. This can cause damage to your body and stop your metabolism. Under eating can also cause your body to not lose weight.

I calculated your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) based on the information you gave and it is 1200 calories. Your BMR is the amount of calories your body uses to sustain life if you did nothing all day. For comparison my BMR is 1680 (I'm 5'8, 24 and 194lbs). But I average eating 2000 calories a day because of exercise, and I'm losing .5-1 pound a week.

I would definitely consult with your doctor and/or find a nutritionist with experience in thyroid issues and develop a healthy plan.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    The thyroid thing certainly brings complications to the normal calorie in/calorie out equation...

Do you wear a heart rate monitor when you run, or do you rely on mfp's or the treadmill's calories burned? Is there a chance you could be overestimating here? Or underestimating the calories you're eating every day?
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    stop your metabolism. Under eating can also cause your body to not lose weight.

False. Your metabolism only stops when you die. People who ate undereating definitely lose weight although its not healthy.

• supersmellyflower
    supersmellyflower Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    slb1008 wrote: »

The top of the healthy range for 5ft is 128lbs.
  • esjones12
    Options
    z_bra wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »
    stop your metabolism. Under eating can also cause your body to not lose weight.

False. Your metabolism only stops when you die. People who ate undereating definitely lose weight although its not healthy.

Sorry, *slows* your metabolism. I spent two months training for a triathlon and was under eating and not losing weight. As soon as I increased my calorie intake the pounds started falling off.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Weight flucuates. I wouldnt worry unless you see it steadly rising. If you do think its water weight, you can take waterex for stuff like that. It helps me atleast. Kudos !