Disbelieving the scale?

Options
Anyone else sometimes not believe the scale...?

When I first started MFP + Fitbit, I could believe that I was losing weight (and expected to lose) because I knew I was making serious changes and was focused on seeing those results. Now the changes aren't dramatic to me anymore, and it feels like maintenance (trying to stay at or under goal) instead. So when I lose weight, even less than a pound, I don't believe it lately. I tell myself it must just be a fluke, like water weight fluctuation.

It's gotten to the point where I kind of dread weighing myself (bracing for disappointment) and I'm actually reluctant to log any weight loss, because I feel like in a couple of days the scale number will be higher, reflecting the "real" weight! Anyone else ever feel this way...?

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror and don't see a difference. Even looking at the two year pictures in my profile (side by side) I don't see a "huge" difference and it was a 30 pound drop with muscle building, etc.

I would suggest using other measurements to help define your success. Measure your body, use BMI and Body Fat %. Some gyms even offer the "Body Age Analysis" thing. And....keep a list of all the things you can do now that you couldn't do before! When I first started I couldn't do a bicycle (ab exercise). Now I can! What about pull ups, a drop in jean size, walking up the stairs without breathing heavy, your 1 mile or 5k run times. There are SO many things that can measure how healthy and fit you have become besides the number on the scale. Keep track of those too :)

You can always talk to a therapist or life coach as well. A lot of people struggle with body image and accepting their "new" selves as they lose weight.

Best of luck and keep your chin up!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Unless you're actually seeing up and down fluctuations with no average downward movement, why would you be disappointed? If you're feeling that way, weigh yourself and log weekly instead of daily.