Is it possible to lose 30 pounds in 3 months ?!?!

Options

Replies

• jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Losing my first 30 lbs (from 254 to 224) took less than four months. Losing the last 30 lbs (170 to 140) took ten months.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    I did. But I was 375 lbs to start with. From 180-150 in three months? Probably not. More like 8 months likely.
  • goddessintraining1
    Options
    I've done it before when I was within my weight range. That said, it was due to high stress, relocation, new job. I moved from the Midwest to NYC so I had to walk instead of drive to get where I was going. I looked like I walked out of a concentration camp. Once my body adjusted I gained some back. And now I have 30 to lose.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

MrM27 wrote: »
    Possible? For some. If you have a lot to lose, yes.
    The closer to goal you are the slower the process is.

It's a marathon, not a race.

A pedant writes; A marathon is a kind of race....

I should rephrase and say sprint instead of race. I think that's the imagry I was trying to convey? Woops.

Point being, there's no rush. Take your time and do it right.

I think sprint is also a race :p

A jog?

ohmygoodness. What I meant to say was that there's no reason to acomplish something super fast (like sprinting) when it's ok to long and slow like you'd drop your mile time down if you had to run lots of them together.

Now that I've been embarassed off the internet for the morning...

Come on I was just jerking you're chain
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    well I have lost about 26lbs so far in 1.5 months,but I also stared at 345lb and first 10-15lbs was mostly water weight. My goal is to be <300 by christmas which at my current progress I think is definitely possible but may require some work. Christmas would be 3.5 months and 45lbs lost.
  • MegzC321
    MegzC321 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well right now I'm trying to do more cardio so I can lose fat then my goal is to start weight training at the begining of the year. I just want to lose as many pounds as I can before i start building muscles lol
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    MegCole321 wrote: »
    Well right now I'm trying to do more cardio so I can lose fat then my goal is to start weight training at the begining of the year. I just want to lose as many pounds as I can before i start building muscles lol

wrong-gif.gif

You want to start weight training yesterday, not at the beginning of the year. Weight training helps you retain your existing muscle. Dieting down without weight training means that you'll be losing muscle along with the fat, then have to try to add it back. Much easier to keep what you have than lose it and try to build it back, especially for women.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I actually like lifting weights!
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs and 3 months. I'm currently about 106 days into my journey and down 36 pounds. However, I started out 318 pounds. The weight came off pretty easily following MFP and working out in the gym 3 days a week for an hour. I'm sure it would be a little harder depending on size.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. What will dictate fat loss , is your calorie deficit and that's more directly affected by how much you eat.

As for losing 30lbs in 3 months at your current weight, possible, but not probable. At 10lbs a month that's a pretty high calorie deficit and if you intend on just by doing it by cardio only, then you'll also reduce the amount of lean muscle you already have. And losing lean muscle will reduce your weight, but it's probably not the type of tissue you want to lose.

Moderate calorie deficit, lift now to retain what muscle you have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MegzC321
    Options
    hmm ok.. I just don't know if I have enough time to do 45 min of cardio and weight lifting after work... maybe I can cut down the cardio to 30 min....
  • MegzC321
    Options
    Ok. This is good Feed back. I think I'm going to switch up my workout routine.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    During the divorce from hell, I lost 30lbs in two weeks. :(
    I would not recommend this' a lot of this was water weight and since Hell is hot. . . .well you get the idea.

• Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started with 70 lbs to lose and was in the obese range of BMI. I started restricting calories and upping my work out on the last day of August. In Sept I lost 15 lbs, 5 more than likely to water and 10 real lbs. October has been slower of course and isn't done, but I expect to hit 10 lbs this month. That will put me into the "overweight range" on the BMI charts. My daily caloric cut is about 1k below TDEE and puts me anywhere from 1200 to 1700 calories and is quite low for some to intake. I don't use TDEE, but I can calculate it and compared it to my base of 1200 with eating back exercise. Since my days are at times unpredictable, and one week I might get to work out 7 times and the next week only 3, this allows me play with my intake and match my activity level.

While I expect I could technically lose another 10 lbs in November and hit 30 real lbs lost, but honestly, it's a holiday season. I have little ones, family, work parties, I see no reason to torture myself. Will I continue to lose, but probably not as fast.

So long answer, sure you can. I might and others have, but most of us started obese. I won't be able to maintain the speed of my loss as I slim down and won't be able to maintain a 1k a day under TDEE goal safely as it gets smaller with me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Well I was 140 in high school and my highest was 180. I was 170 for a year and i recently changed jobs and I'm back to 180. i just want it off! hahaa

If you do it in a sustainable way, you get to keep it off! Definitely lift while losing.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I did 20 in 3 months, not 30. If I'd have tried that bit harder with exercise and stricter eating I may have done 25 or more.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up to shadowfender. MegCole, you probably can guess how successful quick fixes are. You know what a good weight is. I suggest making small changes to your life that you can keep up.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamodt_why_dieting_doesn_t_usually_work?language=en
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    yes doing mostly cardio and eating 1400-1500 calories a day I lost more than that in 90 days

29509743.png

No loose skin on me I drank 2-3 gallons of water a day