Calorie counting as my last resort.

Options
Hi all. I am an antisocial (not because I want to be but because I emotionally can not handle being around people-so a gym is out of the question) working mom who does administrative work 40-45 hours per week then runs two kids to every sport imaginable, while trying to maintain the home, teaching Sunday School with attendance twice a week, balancing and paying my mothers bills as well as my own and the basic care of a husband who does not cook, clean, or feed himself even if it is a microwavable frozen meal. Typical probably but Lord help me I am overwhelmed. I pray losing weight will help and give me the energy to fulfill the daily chores & requests. I've tried everything in the past, including calorie counting. With small successes followed by larger gains I'm back to calorie counting with this new app. Looking for encouragement anywhere I can! Goal at least 60 pounds...

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    good luck!
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    cook family meals that are "healthy" cut your portion size if you need to (and you probably know if you need to) play running about games with the kids when you play-(if poss)-you know, in those many many hours you have free- and try to not snack on junk (if you have done) , that's my advice for starters......oh and stop feeding your husband unless he cannot physically do it, he should be using cutlery by now. x
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    shelly_75 wrote: »
    I pray losing weight will help and give me the energy to fulfill the daily chores & requests

Hmmm I think I'd rather stay out of shape lol
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I found that staying within a calorie budget every day and incorporating exercise and weightlifting into my week I had increased energy almost immediately, even before the pounds started coming off. There is something very therapeutic about taking care of one's self, especially when one has lots of competing demands, like you do, with your work and your family's needs.

About 6 months into my lifestyle change, I started trying other fun things, like music lessons, and painting my toenails, little things that were not that time-intensive, but which added to my sense of well-being.

Good luck and I wish you the best.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    the basic care of a husband who does not cook, clean, or feed himself even if it is a microwavable frozen meal.

Is your husband disabled that he can't do these things for himself? If not he can make his own food, and help with the kids.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    P.S. Consider getting a Fitbit, that way you can monitor your step activity at work and try to get extra steps while there.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You can lose 200 pounds straight away by dumping the lazy husband.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    the basic care of a husband who does not cook, clean, or feed himself even if it is a microwavable frozen meal.

Is your husband disabled that he can't do these things for himself? If not he can make his own food, and help with the kids.

bingo!!
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Reading between the lines it looks as if you are aware that the pressures on you aren't entirely reasonable!

Unless you love household chores/running errands and consider them your personal hobby, more help is required... and more fun?

Losing weight is just part of a bigger picture - for all of us.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Best of luck to you! Make sure to try to take an hour a day for exercise - I've trained my kids that it's "mommy's time" although sometimes they work out with me :) (mine are 7 and 10 not sure how old yours are) plus if they both have practices I try to spend that time walking around the fields to get some extra fitness in. Does wonders for my mood and health! Most importantly it is me making myself a priority! And I do slack on the housework sometimes (ok, ok most times) for my exercise because I'd rather have health and energy over a mopped floor.
  • la_Laleh
    la_Laleh Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sounds like you have a LOT on your plate! In my opinion, the decision to try counting calories again with all you have going on is an important and wonderful step!!

In addition to encouragement, are you looking for anything else via MFP (meal/workout suggestions, friends, etc.)?

Good luck with your journey - I'm cheering for you!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    You can lose 200 pounds straight away by dumping the lazy husband.

This for starters.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Its absolutely do-able. I have two kids, I just finished a bachelor's degree (as a FT student), I work full-time, I do 95% of the housework. I'm also a birth doula. SO yes, it's absolutely possible to lose weight when you're busy. Just set your mind to it, and don't make it an option. Take care of you (get enough sleep, eat when you're hungry) and keep yourself accountable by logging EVERYTHING you eat. Good luck!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I pray losing weight will help and give me the energy to fulfill the daily chores & requests

Hmmm I think I'd rather stay out of shape lol
    haha - my thoughts exactly, but whatever. Good luck to the anti-social sunday school teacher. We all have different elements of motivation.
    - :)

• kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Put an exercise bike in the bedroom and use it just before bed - that way he'll know weight loss is a priority for you and he might start helping out a bit in other areas too (so you have time to exercise before 8pm at night when he wants to do other things...). Good luck!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    If your husband is disabled, I tip my hats off to you for running everything...if he is not ,, it appears the only weight you need to lose is him..what does he weigh?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Make him cook dinner for the sex
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a workout suggestion....Walk at Home, Walk Away the Pounds are videos by Leslie Sansone. These are totally doable in home, in a small space. No equipment and no choreography so there's nothing to learn and you go at your own pace. Just put in 10-15 minutes here and there to get started.

One method that may not require logging calories (not for everyone) is the 5:2 Diet or intermittent fasting. You eat maintenance 5 days a week & eat 500 calories the other 2. I say that it "may" not require logging. Some people start by logging just to know that they can stay on track and not go crazy (binges) on days off. Long term maintenance would require some form of 500 calorie fasting here & there.

You can do this - just stay positive!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Time to teach the kids life skills and kick the husband into touch - or do you enjoy the martyrdom/ready excuses?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    and the basic care of a husband who does not cook, clean, or feed himself even if it is a microwavable frozen meal

Sort this out and you give yourself 40-60 minutes of 'you' time to work out each day.