Beet Smoothie FAIL

Options
misswhitney1
misswhitney1 Posts: 72 Member
edited October 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Yuck. In an effort to save some calories this morning, I made a smoothie with a big roasted beet, frozen blackberries, non-fat yogurt and almond milk. it was so gross, I had to add 2 teaspoons of maple syrup just to choke it down. blech.

Any advise for beets in smoothies?

Replies

• airfern
    airfern Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love beets but I haven't figured out how to work them into smoothies without the smoothies tasting sort of like sweet dirt. Looking forward to seeing some advice on this point!
  • misswhitney1
    misswhitney1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    airfern wrote: »
    I love beets but I haven't figured out how to work them into smoothies without the smoothies tasting sort of like sweet dirt. Looking forward to seeing some advice on this point!

EXACTLY! I was thinking "oh, sweet, sugary delicious beets!" But then I tasted it, and it was just bright pink dirt. Maybe beets are only "sweet" when compared to other vegetables, but not fruits.

I want to find a way to regularly include them in my diet. I don't eat red meat, and all my doctors, conventional and otherwise, suggest including them in my diet for iron. But one can only eat roasted beets so many times before you're totally over it.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try them on a salad rather than in a smoothie?
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use red seedless grapes to sweeten up smoothies. Granted, I have not attempted beets.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Beets in a smoothie sounds terrifying! You can try different beet recipes maybe? Roasted with salt and pepper, eaten cold in salads, Harvard beets, cut into strips with other root veggies? I tried roasted beets tossed with ginger butter sauce and so far that is my favorite. If you like ginger, the recipe is:

1 inch ginger root, peeled and cut into matchsticks (you can add more if you like)
    1 Tbsp butter
    1/2 Tbsp chopped chives
    1/2 Tsp lemon juice or vinegar (to give it some acid, might want to play with this)

You melt the butter on the stove in a small pan, toss in the ginger, "fry" it in the butter for 3 - 4 minutes being careful not to brown the butter too much, add the juice/vinegar, remove from the stove and throw in the chives. Super easy. Then drizzle over the roasted beets w/ salt and pepper. The cooked ginger sticks and beets go really well together.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    As much as I adore roasted beets, putting them in a smoothie sounds... :s
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Any advise for beets in smoothies?

Yes: There should be no beets in smoothies. What were you thinking???
  • fudgepineapples
    fudgepineapples Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I LOVE beet smoothies. I do a whole peeled, roasted beet (peeling removes some of the dirt taste), a banana, a few spoonfuls of greek yogurt, some unflavoured protein powder and a dash of salt. The salt also helps you taste the sweetness more. I drink about 4-5 of these a week and always have roasted beets in the fridge ready to go. Yummy. However: I love beets more than a normal person does, so you might not like this!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I just can't imagine a beet in my smoothie, belch. However, I am a huge fan of juicing beets.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Try them raw - grated and served with grated carrot and segmented oranges - and whatever salad dressing you prefer.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Maybe a smaller amount of beets next time?
    This thread makes me scared to try them, now. D:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering why people try to make smoothies out of beets instead of just eating them.
    It's like trying to make a smoothie out of brussel sprouts, eggplant and okra.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png