Water

lTlasha
lTlasha Posts: 33 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I was just wondering what your guys thoughts are on drinking your water. I know that it says almost everywhere that they recommend that we drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, but I just don't seem to be able to get that many in. So I was just wondering whether or not you guys think it is really needed to drink that much water everyday? and if you do drink that much water a day how did you get into the way of doing so? Also, I have ready a few posts where some of you have told others to drink lots of water if you have goofed on your food intake for the day, how does this help?

Thanks!!

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    I just always, always, always have a water bottle with me. I live in FL so after I get in from running I'm crazy thirsty and when I'm walking around on campus it helps. Also when I'm sitting in class I absentmindedly drink a lot of water too. There is some debate about exactly how much water you need to drink - but I judge by how dry my lips are. If my lips are dry, I need to drink more. If they aren't dry, I'm doing well. :laugh:
    I used to struggle drinking 8 glasses of water myself and now I hardly drink less than 10.

We usually tell people to drink water after a goof day because it helps to flush the system. The more water there is in your body, the more liquid there is to help get the waste out in your urine, and the more often you expel the waste. If your urine is clear then that's a good bet that you're well hydrated. :smile:
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    My commute to work is about 30 minutes, I make sure to bring a water bottle and finish it before I get to work. Since my water bottle is 24 oz, that's 3 cups already -- and I've barely started the day (plus, it's the time your body is the most dehydrated and needs the water the most).

I refill the bottle and sip on it through the work day.

I refill the bottle and drink it during the commute home.

That's 9 cups.

I also fill my water glass at home (about 16 oz) and sip on it through the evening. However, I get the bulk of my water intake done before 5pm so I'm not up all night with trips to the bathroom. I still get up once, but if I drink heavy after 5pm, I'll be up 3 or 4 times.

Forgot to answer the other part: Drinking this much water keeps you kidneys doing their job, which keeps your liver doing its job, which is (among other things) to convert the fat stores in your body into energy. If you skimp on the water to your kidneys, they can't do their job and the liver has to stop doing its job to pick up the slack. So if you want to burn that fat off, you need your liver working properly -- which means you need your kidneys working properly, which means they need lots of water.

Also, the indicator if you need more or less water is the color of your urine -- dark means you need more, clear means you need less. Ideal is light yellow (like the color of lemonade). Obviously the toilet water will discolor the urine, but use your best judgement. I've been learning that clear means the kidneys aren't keeping up with the demand (and you are overworking them) and that too much water could actually flush out the good nutrients in addition to the junk. I'm still researching this, but that's what I've learned so far.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Even if you are not trying to manage your weight you should be getting in your 8 glasses of water. VERY imprtant for proper kidney health, and skin also not to mention the many other benefits . I bought a rubbermaid container that "fit" me and have one at work and one at home to sip from. I find the larger container helps me chug it back so i get in my quota. It did take me a bit to work up to the 8 glasses, but I find now that I typically get about 10 in each day.
    Before every meal or snack I drink my 20 oz container so it helps me feel fuller before eating and helps me get all that water in.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I drink at least half my body weight in ounces per day which now equals about 9 cups. If I have an intensive workout I drink more; if I eat excess sodium I drink more. Some days I'm more thisty than others so I can tend to drink more than 9 (like when I have allergies and my throat gets raw, drinking water helps so I always drink tons on those days lol). Hope that helps!
  • another calculation i've heard is to divide your weight by 2 and that is how many ounces you should drink a day. so if you weigh 150, you should drink 75 ounces. switching to just drinking water (no soda, no beer, no juice) had been huge for me because i consume no calories in my liquids and i pretty much drink water constantly and find i can really dirink a ton everyday.
  • ktblum
    ktblum Posts: 15 Member
    I had that same problem when I first tried drinking lots of water. I find that the best way is to just DO it. No sipping, just gulp 'er down. I fill up my glass, and I don't do anything until it's empty. I find if I sip every now and again, I don't actually drink very much. Your body gets used to it, and it will soon start craving water and it won't even be a problem! :)
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    I've always loved water. It quenches my thirst when so many other drinks have the opposite affect. I'm also a strong believer in pure water... only H2O... nothing added. I drink at least 64oz a day. Sometimes I will have an iced coffee and/or hot tea in the mornings. Maybe once a week... a glass of lemonade. Other than that... water is pretty much the only thing I drink.
  • lTlasha
    lTlasha Posts: 33 Member
    Thank you guys for your advice! Already today I have done better with my water than I have before, also thank you for the information on when I should know when my body needs more water or has enough, it has really helped!
This discussion has been closed.