Need to eat more (healthy) calories

Options
So I'm eating supper healthy, and getting lots of cardio and strength training in! But here's the problem, I'm having a difficult time reaching the 1200 calorie goal day to day. I'm eating plenty of lean protein, added even more healthy/filling carbs to my diet (quinoa, brown rice, wheat pasta), and I occasionally eat some dairy (mostly feta or skim milk with my coffee). But I'm having a difficult time consuming enough calories. Some days I have to force myself to get to the 1000 mark. Any suggestions on healthy foods that will up my calorie intake that are also low in fat and sugar? Oh, and I don't like nuts... I know, weird. But I do occasionally force myself to eat a handful when my count is really low... but I don't want to eat them daily.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice I get!!!

Replies

• jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    How about nut butters? Cottage cheese? Hard boiled eggs?
  • Cantaloupe321
    Cantaloupe321 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a lot of hard boiled eggs over the past 2 weeks and need a bit of a break from them. But I didn't think of cottage cheese, thanks!

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,177 Member
    Options
    What do you consider healthy?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why low in fat? Something like an avocado is healthy, and has plenty of calories, but isn't low in fat. That's probably why you are having issues meeting your calories.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Coconut butter! (not coconut oil)
    full of healthy fats. tastes amazing spread on toast
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    string cheese, hummus, jerky, yogurt, a piece of lunch meat wrapped in a slice of cheese, whole wheat toast with peanut butter and honey
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So I'm eating supper healthy, and getting lots of cardio and strength training in! But here's the problem, I'm having a difficult time reaching the 1200 calorie goal day to day. I'm eating plenty of lean protein, added even more healthy/filling carbs to my diet (quinoa, brown rice, wheat pasta), and I occasionally eat some dairy (mostly feta or skim milk with my coffee). But I'm having a difficult time consuming enough calories. Some days I have to force myself to get to the 1000 mark. Any suggestions on healthy foods that will up my calorie intake that are also low in fat and sugar? Oh, and I don't like nuts... I know, weird. But I do occasionally force myself to eat a handful when my count is really low... but I don't want to eat them daily.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice I get!!!

Is there a medical reason for eating low fat? Dietary fat won't make you fat.

Avocado, olive oil, full fat dairy, seeds......use regular salad dressing....roast veggies in olive oil (yum).

Part of my maintenance will be a candy bar here & there. So, when have room (I eat more than 1200...different topic).....I eat something I crave even candy :# .
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    you mention low in fat, why? whats wrong with fat?
    i was thinking about avocado's or cooking or dressing with olive oil
    doubling your carb serving. just eat more of what you are eating already that a are the higher caloric items?

homemake a breakfast bar or snack bar that has whole ingredients, those can add up once you add in dried fruits and grains.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Something here is not computing for me. "Plenty of cardio and strength training," yet you have days you have to force yourself to get to 1000 cals? Are you weighing and measuring your foods? Cuz, seriously, even the foods you are describing have enough cals to EASILY get to 1200 cals over three meals. That's only 400 calories per meal!!!! So, I just wonder if something is off perhaps in your calculations or logging? If not, then your portions are very, very, very small. Just eat more with each meal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Dietary fat is healthy...eat more of that. I just had a tasty avocado that is packed with nutrition as well as heart healthy fats...it clocked in around 250 calories. I'm having some almonds a bit later...one tiny little handful (about 1 oz) will clock in around 160 calories. I'm having an awesome stir fry tonight.

My guess is your perception of "healthy" is very narrow...in reality, when talking matters of nutrition and "healthy" or "unhealthy" you have to consider context and dosage.

Also, you're probably underestimating your intake...
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary, and then we can take a look. Mine is open if you want to see what I eat. It's a lot higher calories now, but it might give you some ideas.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    ruffnstuff wrote: »
    Something here is not computing for me. "Plenty of cardio and strength training," yet you have days you have to force yourself to get to 1000 cals? Are you weighing and measuring your foods? Cuz, seriously, even the foods you are describing have enough cals to EASILY get to 1200 cals over three meals. That's only 400 calories per meal!!!! So, I just wonder if something is off perhaps in your calculations or logging? If not, then your portions are very, very, very small. Just eat more with each meal.

Yeah I was thinking this. Just the basic meals containing all you've mentioned should make you 1200cals easy! Up the portions, or snack between on anything you consider healthy (greek yoghurt, chopped fruit and a spoonful of granola is tasty). Maybe make some protein bars for after workouts....other than that add oils when cooking or to salads can add plenty of calories without volume.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're tracking your intake correctly (a lot of us tend to be off by several hundred calories depending on how we're measuring serving sizes), and depending on any medical conditions (don't include foods you're allergic to or dislike, obviously), these foods can be included in a healthy diet:

avocado
    cheese
    full fat diary
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • TheBlizz35
    TheBlizz35 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm also having a problem with that. The fat I'm getting is mostly from avocado's and coconut oil, and nuts which are healthy sources of fat from what I understand.

One of the macros I was trying to follow was: Protein 40%/Fat 30%/Carbs 30% or P40/F35/C25. But it's still hard to get the protein high enough without going over the carbs or fat limit. My carbs are mostly from yogurt, fruits and veggies. I'm not eating any grains.

I rarely get to 1200 calories. The thing is, I've overeaten for so many years, I'm actually happy to be eating only when hungry... but it means I'm often under the daily limit.

Feel great, lost 8 lbs before joining MFP and have lost at least 25 more since (weigh in is tomorrow so I'm hoping to add to the total)...

Definitely looking for the best forms of low fat, high protein sources.
  • Cantaloupe321
    Cantaloupe321 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wow! So I definitely was not expecting this many people to respond so thank you! I was trying to follow a diet that my friend has been doing that's working wonders for her, but not so much for me. It's low carbs, and little to no dairy. I can't do it... I don't feel human without carbs and dairy. I want it. She also doesn't exercise as often as I do, and had more weight to loose starting off. I've done the advocare 10 day cleanse in the past and it worked for me, but obviously it all came back. It's little to no carbs, dairy, or oils... so I guess that was sort of my mind set here. But I'm exercising a lot more this go around (trying to do it right this time), so I think I just need to stop avoiding since I'm burning so much... as all of you have pointed out. Which is great, cause it's really going to open up my options to more food!

But seriously, thank you all so much. This was really wonderful and more than I was expecting, I appreciate it a lot! To the store I go!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    please define "healthy calories"…calories are just a measure of energy they are not "bad" or "good"….