Calorie Counting/macros???

Options
Hi there! I am really trying to figure out where my numbers should be...I fill out the myfitnesspal info and it puts me at 1200 calories... I have it set at 1300 currently, which is fine but I am worried that it is too little. I'm also wondering if I should figure out advanced goals such as fat, protein, carbs etc. to help with my total weightloss? I am currently 230 and 5'0 with about 80-100 to lose...any advice would be much appreciated :) just want to head in the right direction.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't think you need to sort out your macros right now. Start by logging what you eat now, and what you will continue to eat when the weight is off. Then tweak things as you go. You may find that 1300 is not filling enough or it leaves you feeling run down. I find protein, fats, and fiber help me stay full longer. Weight loss takes awhile. Find a number you can comfortably maintain longer term.

This will give you your maintenance (include exercise too): http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Eat less than this number to lose weight. 500 less for 1 pound a week, 750 for 1.5 pounds a week.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Agreed, use the above link. 1200 is probably too low for you. I wouldn't worry too much about macros at this point. Just try to eat wholesome balanced food. Lean towards unprocessed stuff if you can. Most places suggest carbs be around 50%, protein 20% and fats 30%. You can check the graph on MFP to see how you are eating and make adjustments if needed. This will help you assess if you are balanced. Start moving around more than you typically do and you should see the pounds start to come off! You can adjust your calories and food choices from there :)

Best of luck!