Calories in a Stewing Hen vs a Fryer or Broiling chicken

Options
AMRROL
AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
I have Goggled but can't find out if the calories in a stewing hen are the same as a broiler/fryer. Making a big pot of chicken soup with a very large stewing hen in the crock pot tonight. After I pick the meat off the bones, how do I count the calories, as it will be shredded meat from the entire hen. Thanks

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The "Chicken - Meat only, roasted" entry in the database would be what I would go with.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The non-asterisk entries (which is what the poster above referred to) are generally correct. They are the USDA entries. Not all meat has calorie information on the packaging.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    the terms "broiler/fryer" and "stewing hen" only refer to the age of the bird when it's slaughtered. if i remember right, broiler/fryers are about 8 months old, while stewing hens are over a year... but check with his holy magnate, st. alton brown, on the specifics because i can't remember.

it's all chicken, and should just be counted as chicken.

by the way, a cornish game hen is nothing more than a chicken that's something like 3-4 months old. it's not a completely different species of bird.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    The "Chicken - Meat only, roasted" entry in the database would be what I would go with.

doubtful as most of the entries in database are WRONG. It should be on the packaging.

That's the entry without an asterisk. It means it was MFP created and will match what the USDA says.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    by the way, a cornish game hen is nothing more than a chicken that's something like 3-4 months old. it's not a completely different species of bird.

I always figured they were actually pigeons that someone caught, sold to the market, and passed them off as chickens :)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I would use the entry with no * that says chicken-meat only, stewed. Or use the entry without an * that says chicken - meat only, raw.

Either way, pick it off the bones and weigh in grams would be most accurate, but doing that to a raw chicken is messy, so I would personally go with the first option.
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. As I am an expat living in Switzerland, they don't have the same label requirements as the USA. 50% of the items have no nutritional labels. BTW, this is one huge stewing hen. I've never seen one so big. I cut it up in pieces, and froze half for use at a later time. In the crock pot now happily simmering away.