Too much food in the office

Options
Our office is having a football day today and there is food everywhere. The morning started with breakfast burritos and doughnuts then migrated to cake, cookies, chips & salsa by lunch. Add the enormous bowl of halloween candies and it's tough to navigate through here without running into junk food.

I had a single chip with salsa so I wasn't depriving myself. I've successfully avoided the candy dish by taking the back stairs to the ladies room. I went out the back for lunch instead of joining in for sub sandwiches and more chips & salsa. My lunch wasn't as tasty but I'm patting myself on the back for this little bit of willpower.

I only have 2 hours & 50 minutes left, I'm trying to stay strong :(

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First world problem, but still a problem. I feel ya.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!!! Stay strong!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    GAH!!! I hate when that happens at my office.

If I look at my food diary and see how many calories
    I have available it really helps to say no more often than not

Most days I can avoid but, sometimes I'm not as sturdy.

Good Luck!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Remember that no one forces you to eat what is there. You have to make the conscious decision on whether or not it is worth it to you. Sometimes somethings are worth it, but it is ultimately up to you on what goes into your body.

Best of luck!
  • Pebbles5280
    Pebbles5280 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted but not really if that makes any sense. I'm starting to evaluate my unhealthy food choices by how long I'll need to workout to negate the indulgence. That helps me minimize my consumption if not avoid it completely.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It definitely helps :)
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm in the same situation with cupcakes. They are right outside my office!! I'm staying strong too. I'm thinking how good I will feel on the drive home knowing I didn't eat one.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Oh man, can I come to your office???
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    a single chip with salsa so you didnt deprive yourself?

Confused-GIF.gif
  • WorkoutJunkie1
    Options
    hide in your office and don't come out. :( i feel your pain. i would be so paranoid.
  • Sleaterkitty
    Options
    I totally empathize with this. My office always has treats. They're in the break room, people bring them over, they're at meetings! It's a constant test of my will power. But you know, the more I say no the easier it gets. And people notice. They say, "wow! That's great how you say no every time."

I also bring a lot of my own snacks so I have something while everyone else is munching on stuff. And we'll see who's laughing in the end when I've lost weight and they haven't.

You can do it! :)
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Out of sight, out of mind. Harder to say since my office has already started with the holiday season with Halloween candy and it's all down here until after Christmas.
  • Pebbles5280
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    a single chip with salsa so you didnt deprive yourself?

Confused-GIF.gif

Yes a single chip w/salsa. I wanted to try his homemade salsa and after I did, I didn't think about it again. If I hadn't, I'd have wondered all day how good it was and felt deprived.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    First world problem, but still a problem. I feel ya.

Yep...and I'd be eating everything in sight, or I'd just fake illness and get out of there.
    o:)
  • Pebbles5280
    Options
    This is the most food motivated group of people I've ever met. Unfortunately, the majority of them are overweight and very unhealthy. Considering our company pays for our gym membership if we want one, there is no excuse.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    hide in your office and don't come out. :( i feel your pain. i would be so paranoid.

Paranoid?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    There was a birthday cake for a senior partner at 10 am, a social committee meeting to decide between chocolate truffles and chocolate bombs for our Christmas party at 11:15 ( the bombs win) and then the regular 11:30 cookies nad crackers snack tray. I'm not complaining though. Well maybe a little... Breakfast burritos would be nice.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I had to give it all up cold turkey-- unless I know about it in advance and can thus plan for it accordingly.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    We have one today too. It's located directly behind my desk so I've been smelling cheesy potatoes and meatballs all day. I made sure to healthy stuff that I enjoy eating so I wouldn't be tempted. We even had a gathering to announce a promotion right at the food spot. It's just a matter of willpower and I'm winning the battle.

ETA: Usually I just plan for nibbles and adjust accordingly but after a death in the family last week where I got sidetracked by the grab-and-go of running around, I'm trying to be more strict this week to get rid of the bloat. :smile:
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    you are doing great, escape those temptations, acting on your own behalf, good job.
  • plt002
    plt002 Posts: 6
    Options
    Congrats on staying on track! You're certainly allowed a cheat here and there, as long as you don't pig out. Of course it makes sense that you have all the crap food when your coworkers are fairly unhealthy. In our office, it's so weird. Most are doing crossfit (one coworker owns the gym), all except one are on some kind of diet, and yet we still have a HUGE candy bowl! Before I cared about my eating habits, the candy didn't phase me. But now I'm wondering why everyone is torturing themselves??

I say get yourself a healthy snack drawer! That way you don't have to feel like you're completely missing out when others are snacking.