Baked potatoes

Options

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good. I'm going to have to try some of those pretty soon. I also like pairing potatoes with laughing cow cheese. :P Tomorrow night I'm probably having baked potato topped with manwich. Not very healthy but we had manwich tonight and have leftovers. ><
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Being a protein freak, I like to sometimes top mine with some chicken breast, steamed broccoli, and a little 2% or full-fat cheddar.

Yum!

I also just do butter and sour cream. Yes, real butter and real sour cream. If you only add a small amount, it'll be fine (1/2 tbs butter & 2tbs full fat sour cream add about 100 cals). Sooooo good.

Tonight I baked a sweet potato, added 1/2 tbs butter, 1tsp brown sugar and 2tbs reduced fat sour cream (I'd never recommend fat free, for both taste & ingredient reasons. Normally I'd use full fat sour cream or 2% greek yogurt). It may sound funky, but OMG it was so good.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    another potato bump
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Easiest way I've found to cook a baked potato in the microwave is just throw it in a zip loc baggie (don't zip it up) and cook for 5 minutes on high. Check it and turn it over and cook a couple of more minutes. Never thought of using the steamer bags but regular zip locs work just fine.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Easiest way I've found to cook a baked potato in the microwave is just throw it in a zip loc baggie (don't zip it up) and cook for 5 minutes on high. Check it and turn it over and cook a couple of more minutes. Never thought of using the steamer bags but regular zip locs work just fine.

I just poke a few holes in one with a fork & nuke on high for around 5 minutes (depending on the size of the potato). I've never used a bag and mine come out just fine. :smile: Same with sweet potatoes.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I love baked potatoes too. I second that Yukon Gold are really good!

I usually just do plain with light sour cream instead of butter and salt and pepper of course! Broccoli and a little cheddar is another favorite combination. Hmm.... now I'm thinking of another option for leftovers this week. We are having chicken kebabs one night and I'm thinking the leftovers would be great in a potato!

I am going to have to try the cottage cheese idea!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    My mouth is watering just thinking of some of these ideas.
    I'm so having a baked potato for lunch tomorrow:love:
    Thanks everyone:bigsmile:
  • gthomas667
    Options
    Excellent - thanks for tips. I'll be trying all those for exactly the same reasons. :-)
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My favorite baked potatoe toppings are marinara sauce, cottage cheese (just a few tablespoons), steamed broccoli, and a sprinkle of parmesan. Its like a veggie lasagna potato. Yum! Also good is greek style with chopped up chicken, broccoli, a squeeze of lemon, I can't believe it's not butter spray, sprinkle of feta cheese, and oregano.
  • 1lakerat
    1lakerat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm ashamed to say I've never had a baked potato...:blushing:

How do you make them? I've always found plain potatoes to be rather bland, but the toppings you suggest sound like they'd add some nice flavor. And hey... I'll try anything once!

Here ya go check out these link for a few fun ideas:
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/PotatoBaking.htm

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2007/10/microwave-baked-potato.html

I was skimming over the 2nd link and it talked about cooking them in the oven for the last 10 minutes after nuking them so they crisp up. Good plan! I think I've been doing them in the micro for so long now I've forgotten the real flavor of oven ones. lol

A cooking bag aye? hmm

I scrub mine really well. Poke some holes in with a fork and bake them at 400 for about an hour. I allow my husband and kids to finish their potatoes and then I eat the left over potato peels. Yum! I get a little bit of butter and lite sour cream, but they do a good job of cleaning the potatoes out.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My favorite baked potatoe toppings are marinara sauce, cottage cheese (just a few tablespoons), steamed broccoli, and a sprinkle of parmesan. Its like a veggie lasagna potato. Yum! Also good is greek style with chopped up chicken, broccoli, a squeeze of lemon, I can't believe it's not butter spray, sprinkle of feta cheese, and oregano.

Ooooh I never though to do them "lasagna style." Also, anything with feta is fabulous. Nice tips.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    These all sound utterly delicious!! Replying so that I can find these great suggestions again quickly! :blushing:
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I eat at this BBQ shack that makes this "loaded" one that comes with Chopped BBQ Beef, Butter, Sour Cream & Cheddar Cheese. It is sooooooo good and a meal all in itself!
  • lTlasha
    lTlasha Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Any further tips for tasty guilt-free fillings?

Why not try baked sweet potatoes?? They are delicious! They have the natural sweetness that can cure a sweet tooth and are so creamy, plus they dont take as long as normal potatoes. I like to bake them, and then add a little brown sugar, and cinnamon. It tastes just like pumpkin pie! Yum! just thinking about it makes me want to make some.

Hope this helps!
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Any further tips for tasty guilt-free fillings?

Why not try baked sweet potatoes?? They are delicious! They have the natural sweetness that can cure a sweet tooth and are so creamy, plus they dont take as long as normal potatoes. I like to bake them, and then add a little brown sugar, and cinnamon. It tastes just like pumpkin pie! Yum! just thinking about it makes me want to make some.

Hope this helps!

Put some toasted pecans in there too. *drool* It gives it a nice variation of texture, plus some healthy fats.
  • griffswoman
    griffswoman Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    wow so many yummy ideas for baked potato, am definately going to try some of these particualrly the lasagne style potato:smile:
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    They have plain jacket potatoes in our cnteen at work...I may make up my own filling and take it in to work in a tupperware!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    am i the only one that likes their baked (or should i say microwaved) potatos plain? i just like them with salt, no butter, nothing, i think they are great alone.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The deli potato:
    Low fat margarine, just a dab (or no butter substitute at all, if you're hardcore like that).
    Chopped up sandwich meats, 2 or 3 slices (whatever I've got from the deli - I usually use turkey, but roast beef is excellent).
    A light sprinkling of reduced fat cheddar
    Chopped red onions and bell peppers
    Salt and pepper

Going to make this one ,I wash mine prick them and put them in the microwave ,then crisp them up in the halogen oven ,there gorgeous just bought a huge sack from Costco the other day ,so guess what I am having tomorrow lol

I also microwave them then cut them into wedges ,sprinkle them with a tiny amount of olive oil and sea salt and bake them in the halogen they are divine .