Using coconut oil in your hair

Options
sizzle74
sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
I want to try this tonight for a couple hours before I wash my hair. Anyone use this? feedback? :)

Replies

• Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes and it's amazing. Just don't use too much or your hair will be all greasy and blech.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Yes and it's amazing. Just don't use too much or you're hair will be all greasy and blech.

Good to know thank you! Should I apply it to the roots?

• proudmumaa13
    Options
    I'm wanting to try this too!
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do the roots.
  • kezren89
    Options
    It's brill i use it for my scalp i get little a bit of psoriasis
  • LivyMarie93
    LivyMarie93 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I mix it with my deep conditioner. It makes your hair extra soft.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I put some on my hair after a shower in place of conditioner. I dry it (since it's mostly straight, but not quite) and then rub a TINY amount, focusing on the tips.
    My definition of tiny here is what I can pick up with my short fingernails.
    I rub it in with my hands, so my hands get a little, too. Then I'll smooth down any flyaways with what's left on my hands.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have dry scalp issues and I tried it for the first time last week. The mixture my hair person recommended was about 6tbsp coconut oil, and 3 or 4 drops of tea tree oil. Massage into scalp and through hair, let sit for 15-30 minutes, then wash hair as normal.

My hair felt super soft for several days after, and my scalp has been less itchy.
  • sandiisp
    sandiisp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, just don't use too much. I did it this morning, and the two shampoos weren't enough to leave my hair feeling like I've bathed it in the past week
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Something to try out - thanks!
  • msmillie98
    Options
    Every couple of weeks in the evening I massage a good amount into my hair, focusing on the ends. Then I put my hair up in a high bun, go to bed, and wash it out in the shower in the morning. I use Trader Joe's brand ($6 a jar). I also mix a tiny bit into my lotion and rub it on my legs after shaving. It's amazing!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I used it left it on for about 1 hour. Saw no difference at all. It drips down your face too!!! UGG.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    I wouldn't do the roots.

Thank you! Glad I asked!
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of using coconut oil, just coconut water in hair. Which one is better?
  • GordieLaChance
    Options
    In my first attempt I used a bit too much, which resulted in greasy for 2 days. The second attempt I used a dime sized amount and it provided moisture and what I'd consider a very (masculine, of course) shimmery shine.
  • joshuawray17
    joshuawray17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh! Gotta try this in my beard. :smile:
  • niajones95
    niajones95 Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you're doing a deep conditioning treatment you should put it on your roots and ends, leave it on for up to twenty minutes to and hour then wash it out three times with shampoo and put a little bit of conditioner on your ends :)
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    I've been using Coconut Oil in my hair for years and it's wonderful. Use it PRIOR to washing your hair. It's best to apply it to slightly damp hair and wrap it with a warm towel to help the oil penetrate the follicle, for about 20-60 minutes, your time preference.

Once washed, I also mist my hair and skin with Organic Rose Water, the women in my family have been using Rose Water, Coconut Oil and EVOO/Grapeseed Oil as part of our beauty regimen for years. I have incredibly long strong shiny hair, clear and soft skin, all with goodies I buy at the Health food store and Farmer's Market.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    msmillie98 wrote: »
    Every couple of weeks in the evening I massage a good amount into my hair, focusing on the ends. Then I put my hair up in a high bun, go to bed, and wash it out in the shower in the morning. I use Trader Joe's brand ($6 a jar). I also mix a tiny bit into my lotion and rub it on my legs after shaving. It's amazing!

Sounds good, but does it get on your pillowcase/sheets?
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    niajones95 wrote: »
    If you're doing a deep conditioning treatment you should put it on your roots and ends, leave it on for up to twenty minutes to and hour then wash it out three times with shampoo and put a little bit of conditioner on your ends :)

Even for "deep conditioning" it's best to avoid applying it to the roots. The oil has comedogenic properties that will clog your scalps pores, leading to sebum build-up, which will make one to two things happen: 1.) Painful break-outs 2.) The pores begin to OVER-produce sebum, leaving your scalp and roots extra greasy, ruining any chance of having volume and lightness.

In regards to sleeping with it in your hair, you COULD use a plastic shower-cap, which will trap your natural body-heat, helping the oil to deeply penetrate the shaft, while avoiding oil stains on sheet-sets.