Costco Haul?!

Options
2»

Replies

• highcarbveganzombie
    Options
    Romaine lettuce, pomegranate juice, potatoes, rice, figs, spinach, mango juice, pickles, frozen veggies and fruit, maple syrup, agave, broccoli, cucumbers, almond milk and tons of other vegan nummies I can get. Costco is quite good to vegans. :)
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My Costco staples:

TruRoots quinoa
    Chicken breasts/thighs
    Ground turkey
    Eggs
    Hummus
    Light Babybel cheese
    Fruit & veggies

Always do some research before you buy things at Costco, what looks like a good deal, may cost the same or more than if you bought it in a grocery store!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Socks.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Do any of you also have a BJs warehouse nearby? I am a BJs member and wonder how they compare, as I was considering switching when my membership is up.

BJs has a lot of organics, and a lot of antibiotic- and hormone-free meets, nitrate-free uncured bacon and hotdogs, and a great selection of cheeses and seafood. Is Costco similar?
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Their Greek style yogurt and the BIG bag of broccoli florets. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Oh...and the Fresh Concept hummus.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My Costco list includes: pesto, hummus, chicken breasts, walnuts, pecans, Granny Smith apples, Dark Chocolate Almond Bark Thins, and coffee. There are many other things, especially fresh produce that I would buy, but I can't use up the quantity.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Almost everything. :) I think I am made of rotisserie chicken though.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Get a big box of plastic wrap while you are there. It's ginormous and will last you many years (seriously) and it's really good plastic wrap. Restaurant quality.

Once you get your haul home, portion out the meat immediately, wrap it up, and freeze it.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My Costco musts:
    Razors+ Dove Soap (big pack)
    Laundry Soap/ Dishsoap at start of school year don't buy again

For food:
    Lettuce
    Fresh berries- raspberries, blueberries
    Ground turkey ( think its a four pack and its normally under 20$)
    Ground beef- not really a beef eater but meh
    Tilapia from the frozen section
    Big thing of cashews
    Salmon....there salmon is amazeballs!!
    Butter
    Eggs - I eat eggs nearly everyday so for me this goes quick

During finals ill buy a roasted chicken or one of there pre made salmon dinner things. enough food for me for like ...5 days lol!
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Reader56 wrote: »
    Rotisserie chicken - save the carcass for soup stock, eggs, can't beat the price for frozen talapia which thaws in cold water in less than an hour, broccoli, carrots in the 5 lb bag!, all the other stuff people said. Here in the central valley of California, our beef prices at Costco have skyrocketed - hamburger for $3.79lb?? I don't think so. Ground turkey it is. Frozen OJ, plain yogurt, maple syrup, honey..... Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai and Blueberry treats..... the list goes on and on. Pay even money you don't get out without dropping a couple $100 or 3 ;)

I am reading of folks buying several rotisserie chickens at once - use one or two immediately for stews, soups, enchiladas, pot pies, etc - but freezing a couple others in plastic wrap. I don't know why, but I never thought of that.

I haven't tried to freeze any yet, but they are damned handy. Usually I buy two - one to eat while standing over the sink with a knife in my hand, the other to put into whatever dish I'm making that night.

I'll have to post my recipe for easy Costo chicken pot pies (and more to portion out and freeze) tomorrow.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I just went to Costco and love it for all the non-food items- toilet paper, paper towels, etc. I try to get food there but, it is really tricky not to end up with waste because the portions are so big- so I would encourage you to get non-perishables and be cautious about the produce. Their food is great but, its HUGE.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I am reading of folks buying several rotisserie chickens at once - use one or two immediately for stews, soups, enchiladas, pot pies, etc - but freezing a couple others in plastic wrap. I don't know why, but I never thought of that.

I'll have to post my recipe for easy Costo chicken pot pies (and more to portion out and freeze) tomorrow.

pleeease do! also if someone can explain how to freeze the chicken for me that would be awesome!
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Love costco! id stock up on ......eggs, hummus, 2% Milk, greek yogurt, coconut water, apples, bananas, tomatoes, carrots, chicken breast, frozen veggies, tuna, olives, frozen salmon burger pattys, carrots (for juicing :-) straight carrot juice is my favorite) , cottage cheese, peanut butter, spinach, flax seed, strawberries, green tea bags, seaweed wraps, ahi tuna, nuts mix, dark coco dusted almonds, oatmeal, honey, lemons, limes, papaya, dragonfruit (if they have it), and as a treat... Dole makes some yummy frozen bananas dipped in chocolate. they're prepackaged in a box :-)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

pleeease do! also if someone can explain how to freeze the chicken for me that would be awesome!

They actually now sell the breast meat from the rotisserie chickens in a big blister pack, 2 lbs., 10 oz. of it, for around $4-5/lb, if I recall right. I've got it in my frig and will need to split it up and freeze it later today.

I don't mess with using chicken carcasses. Most of the good stuff from the bones is cooked out in the rotisserie. Raw chicken bones make the best stock.

If I wanted to freeze the meat for later, I'd pull it off the bones to wrap it more airtight and take less freezer space. :)